To Mint or Not to Mint....that's my question

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

To Mint or Not to Mint....that's my question

Postby johnnymac on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:09 am

Hey gang...So I'm an Xubuntu user - but I've been eye-balling Mint 'cause I like the whole (we'll give you so much software it's insane) policy..

So can someone convince me to make the switch? I really want to but I'm weak.....like a crack-adict - gotta have my dose of ubuntu.

I like things in Ubuntu like Automatix and such...

Anyway - any convincing would be appreciated :)

JMac
johnnymac
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby skampo on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:09 am

The only convinceing I can do based on what you said. Is to say that anything that runs in ubuntu like automatix and such runs just as good in LinuxMint.
skampo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:13 am

Don't fix it if it ain't broken .... If your system works for you and you already got your stuff via Automatix, I wouldn't mess with your current system. Unless of course you're curious: Then of course you could download the Mint CD and try it out in Live CD mode ... And if you like what you see you could of course still install it. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby pghjake on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:43 am

You can always run Automatix2 after a mint install. Works just fine. Bianca is still detected as Ubuntu 6.10.
pghjake
Level 1
Level 1

Postby carltonh on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:43 am

Does Automatix2 have any important stuff not in Linux Mint? I ask seriously as I don't know.
carltonh
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:12 am

carltonh wrote:Does Automatix2 have any important stuff not in Linux Mint? I ask seriously as I don't know.
Hmmm ... You can install some P2P clients not present otherwise in the Linux Mint and/or Ubuntu repositories. Skype and Google Earth are available too as far as I know (can't check this now), although you could install both using the downloads from their respective web sites, I find it easier to do this in automatix: just point and click.

So despite the fact that most if not all multimedia and DVD playback codecs are already present in Mint, there is still some use for Automatix, especially if you're looking for an easy way to install some extra software that you'd need to download manually otherwise.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Adler on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 pm

johnnymac,

Linux Mint offers a very nice -- right off the install CD -- experience. And, I've tried them all. LOL! There are no distros out there that offer the audio / video support that I have yet found.

From the Linux Forums that I play in, and talked about Linux Mint, everyone has said that this distro is an alternative to both Xubuntu, and Kubuntu.

You may have to play around in Command Line to go the extra mile to get what you want, but you are one step ahead of the herd here. IMHO.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Postby manishk on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:44 pm

Well Xubuntu doesn't have mintMenu (I just love it) and being a newbie mintDesktop, mintDisk etc was very very useful.
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Adler on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:32 pm

manishk,

Cool!

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Postby faemir on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:05 pm

the thing i love about linux mint is that it took a superb distro - then tweaked and added to it, and made it so much better :)

the start menu is sooo nice :)
faemir
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mr91nk on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:28 am

Hi all,

I was faced with the existence of Mint only a few days ago, and I'm already curious. I run Ubuntu since almost two years, now on 6.10 and I'm very happy with it. However, I'm always curious on trying new things, and Mint seems to be a nice alternative to Ubuntu and I plan to try the Live-CD during the upcoming weekend.. My question is - apart from the "don't fix it if it ain't broken" thing - would there be ANY other reason at all not to change?

Cheers!
mr91nk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:39 am

Yes. Ubuntu is more stable, more tested, and they have a clearer and more long term strategy. If you don't like quick changes you will prefer Ubuntu.

You can always try Linux Mint from the LiveCD and if you really like it decide later if you want to change or not.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint