Linux Mint, an amazing distro

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Linux Mint, an amazing distro

Postby npap on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:02 pm

Hello all fellow newbies,

I have been a Kubuntu fan for over a year, having installed versions 5.10 and 6.06 LTS. I tried to install the newest one, 6.10 Edgy, but somehow every time I had a bad download.
And then Mint shows up! Gee, I thought, this looks like 6.10 Edgy.
I was very enthused and downloaded it, out of curiosity.
It was unbelievable! This was the stuff that every newbie like me had been looking for, I thought.

Well, three cheers for the LinuxMint people. They've done a pretty good job.
Of course, there are some kinks that will have to be fixed, in the extra software
packages.
But will come to that later.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

yep...

Postby helios on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:03 pm

This is a keeper for sure. It's gorgeous, uber-functional and presents Gnome in an attractive way. The guys who put this together are to be congratulated AND encouraged.

h
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Re: yep...

Postby npap on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:37 pm

helios wrote:This is a keeper for sure. It's gorgeous, uber-functional and presents Gnome in an attractive way. The guys who put this together are to be congratulated AND encouraged.

h

OK! After using The Mint for some time, I'm getting to like it more. But let's be fair. Its success is due to the fact that it is a version of Ubuntu Edgy.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Just my two cents'...and big a thank you...

Postby Quicksilver 689 on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:01 pm

Just my two cents.....and big a thank you for thinking INSIDE the box :)

After years of frustration in multiple jobs when you express your frustrations and what not to your management team, and all they *ever* tell you (and purely for nothing more than to hopefully get you out of their hair instead of actually helping you with your issues) is the (ugh!) dreaded, "...think outside the box..." :

It's very refreshing that someone has put the time and effort into making an Ubuntu-based distro pretty much ready to go "out of the box", so that the user community doesn't have to waste so much time (ugh!) "thinking outside the box" to resolve common issues (that was very painful for me to say, god I *hate* that saying!). Instead, we get to spend pretty much all our time INSIDE OUR BOX having fun computing again (take THAT corporate world, I'm INSIDE THE BOX - where I *should* be!)..........lol

Just wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for a great distro. Can't wait for Bea 2.1 to come out, where RealPlayer will be removed and MPlayer will be included out-of-the-box. That'll make Mint even better than it already is! :)

Chris Naish,
Culpeper, VA, USA
Music Is The One True Universal Language
James 1:2-5,12
Quicksilver 689
Level 1
Level 1

The Mint

Postby npap on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:44 am

Hi everybody,
Here is my description of the Mint. Webster's dictionary says, I quote:

Any place regarded as a source of unlimited supply;
the supply itself.
[1913 Webster]
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint

Postby npap on Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:19 pm

Hello again everybody,
As I mentioned in my first message, I have been an Ubuntu/Kubuntu entusiast for quite some time.
Since I started testing the Mint, I feel at home with it and I am really pleased
to see that it is Edgy in a Sunday dress.

I see that the first enthusiasm is gone and the Mint's popularity has gone down. but that's to be expected since love at first sight doesn't last very long.
Cheer up Barbara! The Bea is coming soon, feching a lot of mint pollen for you.

Well, I can't see why Ubuntu is up there and sister Barbara down below.
I hope this will not discourage the Linux Mint people.
I for one, am enjoyng Barbara as much as I would Ubuntu Edgy.
They are a brother and sister team.

Greetings,
npap
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Chat about Linux Mint