Mint and LTS versions

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dry Lips

Mint and LTS versions

Post by Dry Lips »

I'm contemplating using Mint as my main OS once Mint 13 is out, (I dual boot now) but I have a couple of questions about Mint versus Ubuntu LTS releases. As far as I understand, we get all the necessary LTS updates from Ubuntu, but I wonder what the status of the Mint specific parts is? Will you get updates for stuff that comes from the mint repos for many years too? Is sticking with the upcoming Mint 13 recommended, or is the best solution to upgrade/reinstall as soon as a new version of Mint comes out?

I'm not so very happy about the whole reinstalling every 6 months thing, so I need to figure out if it is realistic to stick with a “LTS” installation of Mint for 2-3-4 years, or if it at some point will stop getting updates for the mint specific stuff?

Cheers
:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hellfire695

Re: Mint and LTS versions

Post by hellfire695 »

for the mint specific you will get updates for as long as 13 is supported (round three years). so yes the mint specific stuff will be supported. i'd also recommend you look at linux mint debian edition
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

Ok, I guess I'll be all right then. Thanks a lot! :)
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Dry Lips wrote:stop getting updates for the mint specific stuff?
Canonical have said the next LTS will be supported for 5 years so you would get updates for that time for the majority of software. Mint provides relatively little software, but presumably would update that for the 5 years also and even after you may be able to manually update by downloading and installing newer versions directly.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

remoulder wrote:
Dry Lips wrote:stop getting updates for the mint specific stuff?
Canonical have said the next LTS will be supported for 5 years so you would get updates for that time for the majority of software. Mint provides relatively little software, but presumably would update that for the 5 years also and even after you may be able to manually update by downloading and installing newer versions directly.
Hi and thanks a lot for your reply. I've got another related question that I posted in another thread, but I haven't got any response to it yet, so perhaps you're able to help me out on this one as well?

"Question:
Is sun java actually in the mint repos, or is it just included in the installation as a static package? In other words, will you receive upgrades if new versions of java 6 are released?"
k0d3g3ar

Post by k0d3g3ar »

At the risk of being kicked by a moderator for answering a question not related to the original Subject, I think that Sun Java has been dropped by Ubuntu due to licensing restrictions from Oracle (or some such reason), in favor of OpenJDK.

But back to your original subject.... Good points, and I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm about to switch to Mint but only after the LTS ships. I'm not a fan of changing my OS for no real reason other than lack of support for it, and I'm switching from Ubuntu 9.10 to Mint because I can't stand Unity.

K

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”