Mint Desktop Environment Popularity Poll

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which Desktop Environment(s) Do You Use With Linux Mint?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 am

MGSE (Gnome 3 with Mint Gnome Shell Extensions)
5%
Cinnamon
27%
MATE
13%
KDE
9%
Gnome 2
18%
Gnome 3 (Gnome Shell without MGSE)
6%
XFCE
11%
LXDE
6%
Fluxbox
2%
Other / I don't use Linux Mint
3%

Total votes: 272

guimaster

Re: Mint Desktop Environment Popularity Poll

Post by guimaster »

Habitual wrote:
guimaster wrote:...as scientifcally accurate as possible...Please don't vote in the poll if you are using another Linux Distro other than Mint....
...Other / I don't use Linux Mint...

Once again, being ever so cynical, question "scientific" and "accurate"
Either modify the poll if possible, or the Opening Post.

Thanks.
I put that option in because I knew that lots of people wouldn't read what I wrote and they would vote anyway.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

guimaster wrote:I put that option in because I knew that lots of people wouldn't read what I wrote and they would vote anyway.
Now I wonder if this option will be changed to something like "I don't read the first post in the poll threads" on 09 Sep 2012 :D
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

I'm currently using Cinnamon 1.4 on my laptop with Mint 12. Although I have MATE and Gnome-Shell with MGSE installed, I do not like nor use them. I just can't be bothered to remove them. Cinnamon is exactly what I wanted. I don't mind some of the bugs, since I know that it's in its very early days of life. I just hope that Clem and the other devs will put Cinnamon on Mint 13 as the default, assuming that Cinnamon is stable enough by then.

I also use XFCE on my old Pentium 4 Dell machine with LMDE. I only really use it as a way to act as a router so that I can use my 360 on Xbox Live and Netflix (on account that the internal wireless in my 360 stopped working).
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Me too. I have four desktops isntalled (Mate, Gnome 3, Cinnamon and Unity) but I only use Cinnamon. Mate is not bad but I don't really like Gnome 3/ Unity.
MGSE makes life easier but Cinnamon is even better.

By the way, I never knew 360's had wireless. I used ethernet when helping a friend connecting a 360 to the net.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

AlbertP wrote: By the way, I never knew 360's had wireless. I used ethernet when helping a friend connecting a 360 to the net.
The 360 S, which was released to market in 2010, has built in wireless. Every other model before then required a USB Wireless Adapter to connect wirelessly. Otherwise, you were stuck with ethernet.

My 360 S, unfortunately, lost wireless functionality. I do not know why. Oh well, though. Microsoft takes too long to fix things, so I figured I could just connect it to my old desktop and still get onto the internet without running a ridiculously long cable to the kitchen from my bedroom.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I have an old Pentium 4 HT Gateway Desktop running Mint 9 XFCE, which is really nice considering how fast it is, and I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop with Mint 12 that has MATE, Gnome Shell, and Cinnamon, although I switch between MATE (which I like, but it seems kind of a work around) and Cinnamon (which I really like but isn't quite as good as gnome 2, but it's getting there). I also use Mint 11 with Gnome 2 when I get sick of trying to make new things work like old things.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

Just wanted to say that I replace LMDE on my Pentium 4 Dell desktop with Linux Mint 12 and am now using MATE on it. Not something I'd want on my primary system, but it works well on my dated hardware.
Miekuxi

Post by Miekuxi »

Cinnamon and Mint.....
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

kde, hopefully soon the new iso with lmde, now working on mint 12 kde
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Mate is definitely my first choice. Cinnamon has a nice looking application menu, but the themes leave a lot to be desired. It took a lot of work to get back my Shiki Wise look. Never did care for the Mint metal or metal-x look. Too hard on the eyes when you work on the computer all day. Also, where are the panel apps especially the weather app. The one offered in Cinnamon apps is no match for the old one in Gnome 2 and Mate. And, who dreamed up the convoluted way of moving panel applets in Cinnamon. Mate with a sharper looking main menu like Cinnamon would be perfect. And please, please allow the favorites, search and other clutter to be optional. I never have any desire or need to use them. I know some people like this stuff, but I am not one of them. Keep it simple is my approach. Xfce and Lxde are interesting but too much trouble to configure all the time. Might be necessary on old, slow machines; but I don't have one of those. KDE is buggy and too much trouble to configure the panel applets and menus.
crosenblum

Post by crosenblum »

Even though I am really new to linux, I really like the cinnamon desktop, allows me to have a custoizable taskbar, that looks somewhat like windows, so creating an experience that isn't too unfamiliar.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I am in love with Cinnamon. I just cannot like Unity or Gnome Shell at this point although I realize they are a work in progress. I think Cinnamon will be off the charts great by the time Mint 13 comes out. I think what Clem has planned will make it very hard to beat :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

It's a bit confusing the Mint devs spend so much time on both MATE and Cinnamon as Cinnamon seems to be what's gonna eventually kill MATE. Can only imagine a very little handful of Gnome 2 diehards choosing MATE over Cinnamon or non-Gnome alternatives the coming years and the votes seem to reflect that. If Cinnamon hadn't been then MATE would have had a fighting chance at least.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

That's because MATE is the only Gnome2-like alternative that works out-of-the-box in systems without 3D hardware acceleration. If you have an old pc you won't be able to run Cinnamon, at least until muffin can use LLVMpipe: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=98711. But even having LLVMpipe support, as it is a software renderer, on very old systems it could be problematic because all the graphics will rely on the CPU processing power, so having MATE as an alternative will be very handy.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Good point, had forgotten about that, but then there's Gnome Classic for that exact purpose :D
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Of course, but very few people likes Gnome Classic and it is known that is somehow "marked for deletion".
On the other hand, those in charge of Mint's project (Clem and his team) have maintained a very smart strategy: never go out without a Plan B.
What if something terrible happens to Ubuntu?: We have LMDE.
And what if... to Gnome?: That's what MATE is for.

My grandpa always says "If PanAm disappeared... then anything can disappear" (he is a retired commercial pilot).
pony-tail

Post by pony-tail »

I had to vote for Gnome 2 because that is what my primary machine is running .
I also have machines running Gnome 3 Shell ( Gentoo ) Unity ( Ubuntu 12.04 ) Cinnamon ( on my test machine - because I keep breaking it - it was fine at 1.2 and went wrong at 1.3 ) and KDE ( on Mepis ) .
In the op's original text he said "on Mint " so Mint 11 gnome 2 it is .
Cinnamon looks promising , and is the least offensive of the new Desktop environments .
I recently installed Windows 8 test version and it ( on a desktop ) is worse than any of these . I can use any of them successfully jut that some are pleasant to use and some - Not so much !
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Still running Gnome 2, in the beautiful Minty iteration forming part of Mint 10. In the long term I expect I'll use Cinnamon, but I am in no hurry to go anywhere else right now.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

esteban1uy wrote:My grandpa always says "If PanAm disappeared... then anything can disappear" (he is a retired commercial pilot).
A wise man! The Egyptian dynasties, the Roman empire, PanAm, nothing is safe.
Relative
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Relative »

I use Mate for the simple reason I haven't been able to get past the black screen that comes up in Cinnamon for every application I try to start.

Mike
Mate 21.3 - MacBookPro2,1, MacBook2,1
Mate 21.3 - ThinkPad L430, ThinkPad T430, Dell N7110, iMac8.1, Toshiba A215
Mate 19.3 - (32-bit version) Old home-built P4 desktop.
Raspbian - Pi3 & Pi4.
All except P4 machine run cancer research 24/7.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”