Mint Desktop Environment Popularity Poll

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which Desktop Environment(s) Do You Use With Linux Mint?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 am

MGSE (Gnome 3 with Mint Gnome Shell Extensions)
5%
Cinnamon
27%
MATE
13%
KDE
9%
Gnome 2
18%
Gnome 3 (Gnome Shell without MGSE)
6%
XFCE
11%
LXDE
6%
Fluxbox
2%
Other / I don't use Linux Mint
3%

Total votes: 272

guimaster

Mint Desktop Environment Popularity Poll

Post by guimaster »

Greetings,

To those who have already voted, and to those who have yet to vote:

I have decided to change how this poll works in order to make it as scientifcally accurate as possible. Rather than selecting which Desktop Environment you use most often, please select all Desktop Environments that are used on computers in your home, but only if they are running on Linux Mint. Please don't vote in the poll if you are using another Linux Distro other than Mint.

I have enabled the option to allow people to change their vote(s), should they change the Desktop Environments they use before the poll ends. The poll will run for 200 days which gives everyone the opportunity to change their vote if they change DE's after the LTS versions are released. That will make the poll end in August or September, so we can get a final result before the world ends.

Please, this poll is intended only for people using Linux Mint.

Have fun! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
guimaster

Re: Mint Desktop Environment Popularity Poll

Post by guimaster »

I'm leading off with a vote for Linux Mint KDE. After using Unity I switched to Linux Mint for the first time to go with the familiar Gnome desktop, because of the possibilities of the MATE desktop. However, Unity is so pretty that I couldn't find myself content using a Gnome 2x desktop again. KDE gives me the eye-candy without the grief of Unity. As well, Ihave noticed that many people who once used KDE 3x and moved away after the release of KDE 4, are now moving back. The reason is because all of the annoyances that drove them away from KDE 4 have now been fixed.
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

GNOME 3 Fallback here on my netbook. Will however be switching to Cinammon if compiz support is added :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Only one choice :shock: But ... but .... okay :( Cinnamon it is then :mrgreen: Though I also use Gnome 2, XFCE and LXDE.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I put "Gnome 3" which I guess is the one for Gnome Shell sans MGSE specific extensions. Cinnamon 1.2 had become my favourite but 1.3 took it down a notch for now.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

There is a limitation in the poll setup that is going to distort your results. The poll allows for only one selection per respondent when in reality there are people who may be running multiple DE versions on top of Mint. Older installs with G2, Laptops with G3, test boxes with Cinnamon, etc as folks sort and select their choices as referenced to their various computer platforms. Enjoy
Graes

Post by Graes »

i joined the linux world something like 3 months ago.

tried ubuntu like any other noob out there but totally disliked unity, so i was about to reinstall win7 after just 2 days when i read about linux mint.

tried lm11 and i liked gnome2.

then lm12 came out and i tried it. didn't like gnome3 due to the double panel (i find it useless and space consuming) and the problems with ati drivers.

mate was good but it's pratically still an alpha. was really impressed with cinnamon, totally liked it untill 1.3 that borked my desktop.

now i'm on kde and loving it too :D

so basically i quite like any de (except mgse, but it will not be mainteined so no problem there). gnome2 is dead so i'm not counting it. mate is in alpha\beta\whatever so i don't feel like using it yet. same story for cinnamon (but i patiently waiting for it since i enjoied it very much untill 1.3).

i'm using kde since it's the only full and stable de atm on linux mint, so my vote goes there.

however, for me, the "battle" will be between cinnamon and kde when lm13 will be released :)
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

I almost checked KDE, but voted for "Other"...which in this case, is still KDE.

I used LM10 KDE till last November. I liked it a lot, but was trying to find a way to get Skype to work well with the video camera and sound card. I decided to try LM 12 to see if that was better with the video camera and sound card. It wasn't. I then installed the KDE Full package over the LM 12 Gnome installation. All worked well till I decided to "clean" things up and I uninstalled two Gnome apps...and the system would not boot again. Knowing that I would probably try that again at some point, I decided to look for a real KDE distribution and settled on openSUSE KDE.

I like the KDE desktop. It is similar to Windows, which is not really a bad thing. Gnome 3 seemed like they were trying to make everything just the opposite of Windows. The "Start" button on Windows is on the bottom left corner...so in Gnome, let's put it on the top. The log off buttons are on the bottom left on Windows...so in Gnome, let's put it in the upper right corner. KDE is similar enough to Windows, and better actually, that the transition to the work computer and back to the home computer doesn't require a complete flip-flop in thinking. The desktop doesn't get in the way of what I'm trying to do, which is as it should be.

Chris
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

RAWRferal wrote:GNOME 3 Fallback here on my netbook. Will however be switching to Cinammon if compiz support is added :)
I'm beginning to hear of people using the Fallback option, despite having the hardware capabilities to use Gnome 3. I wonder just how successful the Fallback Desktop could be if the Gnome Developers give it enough love. It's certainly prettier than Gnome 2, from what I remember... With a little work it could be everything Gnome 2 was before, and that would make a lot of people happy!
bimsebasse wrote:I put "Gnome 3" which I guess is the one for Gnome Shell sans MGSE specific extensions. Cinnamon 1.2 had become my favourite but 1.3 took it down a notch for now.
Hmm... Cinnamon 1.3 has been receiving lots of praise in my experience. Why don't you like it?
Last edited by guimaster on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

bimsebasse wrote:I put "Gnome 3" which I guess is the one for Gnome Shell sans MGSE specific extensions. Cinnamon 1.2 had become my favourite but 1.3 took it down a notch for now.
Okay, I fixed the name to make it more clear in the poll.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

monkeyboy wrote:There is a limitation in the poll setup that is going to distort your results. The poll allows for only one selection per respondent when in reality there are people who may be running multiple DE versions on top of Mint. Older installs with G2, Laptops with G3, test boxes with Cinnamon, etc as folks sort and select their choices as referenced to their various computer platforms. Enjoy
The poll can either focus on which DE is most liked, or which is most used. Both would provide valuable information, in my opinion, but only one option is allowed at a time. Perhaps I can start another poll after this one ends which covers the most used. Does anyone else have an opinion to share?

I don't think too many people are going to have Mint KDE running on the old machine they rarely use, so in a sense those older computers are unfairly biased towards to a lighter DE. But older computers are used less often. On the other hand, I suppose that the value of a lighter DE isn't based so much upon people's enjoyment of it, but rather upon it's usefulness. Hmm...

EDIT: Okay everyone, I decided to change how the poll works in order to make it as accurate as possible. I have also edited my initial post in this thread. Please vote again if necessary to represent all DE's used in your home.
Last edited by guimaster on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Multiple votes :P Thanks :wink:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

guimaster wrote:Please don't vote in the poll if you are using another Linux Distro other than Mint.
That's anyone who runs Mint as well as other distros...
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

Changed mine from Gnome 3 fallback and Cinnamon to Cinnamon only, never going back from this sexy beast :lol:
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

LMDE XFCE is my favorite after the gnome shell. I run it with Sid repos and there isn't lot of mint left this way :mrgreen:
Voted Gnome2 also, because i have Mint9 installed. If i compare my systems with horses, Isadora is the cold blood, Sid the
arab :lol: Mostly i prefer my XFCE arabs.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

MALsPa wrote:
guimaster wrote:Please don't vote in the poll if you are using another Linux Distro other than Mint.
That's anyone who runs Mint as well as other distros...
Boy oh boy it's hard to word things perfectly to keep everyone happy. I hope people understand what I mean, and I think they do. :wink:

Wow, no votes for MATE yet? Not good...
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Can't believe I'm the only one who use standard Gnome Shell :D Not going down well in the Mint community!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

bimsebasse wrote:Can't believe I'm the only one who use standard Gnome Shell :D Not going down well in the Mint community!
I'm another one. I use a couple of extensions, but it's mainly straight GNOME Shell. Sorry, still no interest here in Cinnamon, at least not yet. However, I didn't put in a vote for the GNOME 3 choice because the OP seems interested only in opinions of those who are only using Linux Mint.

Edit:
guimaster wrote: Boy oh boy it's hard to word things perfectly to keep everyone happy. I hope people understand what I mean, and I think they do. :wink:
Okay, I missed that post. Whatever, just going by what was written in the original post; I'm no mind reader. My preference for Mint would be GNOME Shell.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I'm not fussy about DE as long as it works, is clean and simple, and make sense aesthically. Ok, put me down for Cinnamon! :)
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

I'm another one who uses Gnome Shell without MGSE. I wasn't expecting it to be that unpopular! I do have a few extensions installed though, but I more or less retain the core principles of the UI such as the hotspots and an overlay instead of a window list.

I like where Cinnamon is going, although when I tried it, it was quite unstable on my system. Most of the time it would crash or have problems refreshing the panel whenever I moved an applet. Also when I disabled the launcher applet, the menu text would just read "Me..." if I had no windows open. I think it has a lot going for it however and I might even switch to it in future once it becomes more stable.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”