How did you make linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

How did you make linux mint?

Postby ricardom on Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:47 am

Hi,

Im wondering if you could explain how do you make the customization of the Linux Mint, what software do you use to save the preferences and make the new iso.

I ask that because im working in a school and we like to make a self customization to use in our schoool only, including wallpaper, network preferences and such other things that we could minimize the post work in a new instalation, since we have too much desktops in our network and we wanna migrate from Win to Linux.

Ill aprecciate any help on that. Thanks!
ricardom
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:36 am

Well there are many ways. To make "Ada" we used the following method:

Unpack the content of the Kubuntu 6.06 ISO and make changes to it... use mkisofs to regenerate the ISO.

We installed Kubuntu 6.06 on a machine and made all the changes we wanted on the machine itself, then we used squashfs and a lot of patience and coffee cups to squash our filesystem and to replace the one from the Kubuntu CD with ours.

We wrote an installer in shell script ... which does the job, but wasn't flexible enough when it came to recognize windows partitions and configure grub for people who have original hardware specs...

Then, for Barbara we decided to change things a little. We used the Ubuntu 6.10 CD and a tool called Reconstructor which basically does what we did before, not as much, but in a simpler way.

If all you want to do is change a few things (wallpaper, software packages), this tool should do. After that, you need to either chroot or exchange filesystems... so that you can tweak stuff yourself.

Basically reconstructor is simple to use but it doesn't do much.

I suppose the real question to ask is how does Ubuntu create their Live CD in the first place ? By generating your own ISO, you get much more control than by remastering an existing one. We had that control in Ada... we don't anymore in Barbara because we needed more stability.

At the moment we're tweaking ubiquity and other things... in Ada we were improving our own scripts... in other words, there are many ways to do one thing.

If you're interested in that kind of thing I can only recommend this website:

http://www.livedistro.org/

Good luck with your project.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby ricardom on Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:02 am

Thanks so much for your help on that, ill read yours infos and look at the site you point me.

I was looking that reconstructor already, but since i got my eyes on your project its looks like the same thing that want to do in our schoool, ill be downloading your iso and maybe we use your iso instead of the original ubuntu, perhaps making some adjusts to fit to our needs, ill keep you updated on that.

Thanks again, and good luck with your project too.
ricardom
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint