Interestingly, Windows usually gets the benefit of defining the racetrack, and then everyone else gets bad ratings if they fail to run it the same way.
If you take all the things that Windows does successfully for you, and try them all out with Linux, you'll find Linux flawed.
If Linux were in that position, Windows would look really old.
- Windows can't be tested from a live CD
- Windows does not install next to other OS's
- Microsoft Office can't open documents from other office suites
- Windows doesn't come with a built-in software collection
- There are no secure repositories for software, so I have to download and update from some websites that may or may not contain viruses
Why does anyone use Windows?
Still, it's a shame the VPN thing doesn't work out for you. It should, it's basic functionality, and obviously it works for some. I guess with the display of dismissal of Linux as a whole, you might get more responses in that regard than to help you with your problem..