Hardy Development

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Hardy Development

Post by exploder »

Just thought I would post some information on Ubuntu Hardy development. This will affect future versions of Mint so it is important to me to help out as far as bug reporting.

- Wubi is a default part of Hardy.
- Drive checks are now done in a graphical environment.
- Pulse Audio is enabled by default. (Multimedia works so much better as far as getting higher volume and cleaner sound.)
- There is language support as soon as the Live CD starts.

These are just some note worthy changes, there are too many to list them all! I have created one bug report about FDD not working in Nautilus and have already received responses from the developer's. The developer's know what is wrong and had me do some tests and I was able to access the drive. I am sure the problem will be resolved.

If you have the time and resources to help test, it will be of benefit to us. Ubuntu development directly affects us since we use Ubuntu repo's for the majority of our packages at this time. The Ubuntu developer's main focus is on better hardware support, they are succeeding. This is of great benefit to us and will reduce the number of problems we have. The Ubuntu developer's are very pleasant to work with considering the pressure they are under.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Hardy Development

Post by exploder »

I just received an e-mail stating that I should see the fix for the bug I reported soon. I have to do some searching first but I think I may have found another Nautilus related bug that affects changing default applications in Firefox. I will have to do some searching.

Edit; A little more investigation revealed that no applications have access to the filesystm features in Nautilus. I have filed a bug report and it has been received. This affects basic functionality and is of real concern to me.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

sundayrefugee, at least you took the time and effort. Many Ubuntu bugs effect us and create loads of support problems. Most of the bugs I have reported relate to GVFS and Nautilus. The developer's have asked for testing and feedback on GVFS. I noticed today that Network Places has been fixed and is in good working order! I was e-mailed about the FDD problem and told that the fix is coming. This leaves two remaining issues; applications having access to the Filesystem in Nautilus and problems with emptying the trash and restoring items from the trash.

The issue with the trash is being worked on and it is showing improvement. The problem that I reported today with application having access to the filesysem has been received and is a Nautilus bug.Gnome will no longer use Gnome-vfs so it is important to the developer's to get GVFS working at least at the same level as the former Gnome-vfs. Fedora is also working on this as well.

I have noticed that there are far less hardware related issues with Hardy than there was with Gutsy.The kernel and the restricted modules have been updated a number of times, (twice today). Gutsy had massive amounts of hardware related issues during development, some of these problems still give us problems today.There is emphasis on hardware support being a priority in numerous posts through out the Hardy Development forum.This will really benefit us!

Since we use Ubuntu packages it is to our benefit to do what we can to report bugs and work with the developer's. An LTS release receives a lot of attention as far as development goes because it is aimed at businesses. The important thing to remember is to report bugs early enough for the developer's to fix them. Many wait until the clock is ticking and then it is too late.

My goal is to see Linux on corporate desktops and playing a support role to make a better living for my family. LinuxMint in my opinion has the highest chance for success because the learning curve is not as great for new user's and the single panel layout with the mintmenu meets the needs and expectations of it's user's.The mint tools that are slated for Mint 5 have exceptional functionality and greatly simplify common tasks. Quality and ease of use are the key elements to get LinuxMint onto corporate computers.Artwork used to be an issue with Linux in general but LinuxMint and other distributions have made a huge impact in this respect.

I feel the timing is right for Linux as an enterprise solution. Vista is floundering and Microsoft is too slow to respond to the needs of business user's. Look at how long it took to release Vista! One year after it's release and user's are petitioning for extended support for XP! Microsoft uses "planned obsolescence" to push it's products and people are looking for more cost effective solutions.The timing couldn't be better!

It is worth my time and effort to do anything I can to aid in development. If finding and reporting bugs helps to advance Linux, I am more than happy to do so.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I'm particularly good at finding and breaking things
Me too!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Testing Alpha 6 now and still reporting bugs! Here is what I have reported so far.

- Application browser can not access the Filesystem. (Fixed)
- FDD will not work at all. (Received e-mail saying a fix was coming, haven't seen it yet.)
- Samba updates 3/9/08 break Grub and leave the system unbootable. (Fixed sometime today, works now...)

Hardy has a new theme, the theme looks pretty good for being orange but the current default wallpaper is hideous. I change the wallpaper so that I can tolerate the system for testing. My main concern is GVFS and how it affects us. I went as far as to look at Fedora 9 Alpha to compare Fedora's progress with GVFS compared to Ubuntu's. Fedora developer's were way ahead of Ubuntu's in GVFS and Firefox 3. Firefox 3 on Fedora 9 could render images that would not show properly on Hardy. Fedora was using a nightly build of Firefox.

The clock is ticking for Hardy. I hope we do not inherit a bunch of problems like we have in the past.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have found and reported lots of bugs lately. GVFS is getting better, the file browser works now. FDD's still do not work, I was told a fix was in place but it does not work and I haven't heard anything for a couple of days.

Tons of breakage lately too! The first 2.6.24-12 kernel was bad and caused all kinds of problems. There were some updates Saturday and today that trashed my test system beyond repair! I have had to start all over twice! It wasn't a big deal because I only change the wallpaper and put in a couple of bookmarks in Firefox, no real data to loose. Mint is on my good hard drive, so it is never affected by what I am testing.

Flash seems to be hit and miss in Hardy, Java is in the same shape. IcedTea Java was working. I took a break from Hardy for now because way too many things are breaking right now. My main concern was GVFS, in case we use it in Mint 5 and it is showing steady improvement.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

exploder wrote: Hardy has a new theme, the theme looks pretty good for being orange but the current default wallpaper is hideous.
Let's hope you're not referring to any of these: http://blog.mypapit.net/2007/12/preview ... -look.html http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/02/0 ... rdy-heron/, because then I will have to agree with the first response in the first link...
Personally, I think the interface looks like shaite :)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Ubuntu now has Human Murrine, for Ubuntu it looks pretty decent. They added a wallpaper without the heron and it looks fair foe being brown. There is a gdm theme that goes with the new wallpaper and again it looks ok for brown.

Luckily, I am not testing Ubuntu for it's looks. I just want the bugs fixed because we depend on Ubuntu packages.I see gvfs as a good thing if the bugs are worked out. The better the base is, the less problems we will have to deal with. Currently my inbox is full of stuff relating to bug reports!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Hardy is starting to shape up now and is showing some speed and stability. Memory use is looking much better and gvfs is working for the most part. Hardy could actually detect my Wife's Vista laptop on the network, "out of the box"! OpenOffice 2.4.0 is loading fast and seems to be working fine. Firefox 3 beta 5 is a big improvement over beta 4.

The only real problem on my hardware is that the floppy drive still doesn't work. There are of course some small minor bugs present but Hardy is looking more like a release candidate now.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Would you recommend it again now?
Yes, things are settling down now. I had the same troubles as you, everything kept breaking before! If you decide to load the beta, download the latest daily build.and keep an eye on the development section of the Ubuntu forum for breakage before you apply updates.

Please report any bugs you find, we use these packages too!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The final release of Hardy is almost here and things are looking very good!

- Pulse Audio works great, sound is better than ever!
- No more gdm-sessions-manager issues!
- OpenOffice 2.4 has great looking fonts now and opens much faster than previous versions!
- Flash is working in Firefox 3 and Firefox is no longer crashing!
- The installer has improved by leaps and bounds! (I was able to install on a system with only 256 mb of RAM and the install was quick and the system runs fine.)
- I can access my Wife's Vista laptop's shared folders, "out of the box".
- Compiz and CCSM seem to behave much better.

All of the bugs I reported have been fixed with the exception of a problem with internal floppy drives. (The problem is being addressed.)

This has been the roughest development cycle I have ever seen! I can hardly wait to see the first beta of Mint 5!

My thanks to everyone here that jumped in and helped with Hardy, this gives us something good to build Mint 5 with!
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

exploder wrote:This has been the roughest development cycle I have ever seen! I can hardly wait to see the first beta of Mint 5!

My thanks to everyone here that jumped in and helped with Hardy, this gives us something good to build Mint 5 with!
I take my hat off to you sir.

It's people like you who spend time testing early releases that increase the quality for the rest of us. Your hard work directly impacts this community and is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi Everybody

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS was postponed - Coming Soon

http://www.ubuntu.com/

The latest RC still have some bugs to be solved. I think like (worldwide) keyboards,some videocards...
It seems the problems are due to any Xorg configurations.

That's i have herard here in Br.

Pulse audio is really very good

cheers

Post Edit: wrong information

Yes, Ubuntu 8,04 LTS has been released - see Distrowatch

Sorry, i was a bit timed spaced out - today 24/abril/2008 -13h e 30m

I have installed Ubuntu RC LTS 8.04 in my computer but it presented some bugs
that have been fixed.( 2 apps, keyboard ...)

With the upcoming final version of GoblinX, Ubuntu will removed from
my hard disk

Ok, apologies
Roberto

Roberto
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There are some unresolved bugs in Hardy final.

- Internal floppy drive is unusable.
- Screen full of Network Manager errors on shut down and restart. (This issue will just appear out of nowhere and there is no fix.)
- Login Window takes 5 -10 minutes to open the first time.

Just thought I would point out these bugs. The most serious one is the Network Manager errors on shut down and restart. There is no fix for this and it is extremely annoying!

Here is the bug report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/216266

The floppy drive problem exists in Hardy, Fedora 9 Preview and Mandriva 2008.1.

Ubuntu Hardy is the only distribution with the Login Window issue.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I don't really get it. Why would they release with a situation like this. What ever happened to, "it will be released when it is ready."

I know that if you had to hunt every single bug down and fix it, you would never get a release, but this is just sloppy workmanship. That's what you would expect from a proprietary program. Ship it now.... fix it later.

Just not the Linux way.

Fred
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Here is a way to use the floppy drive, it is not the ideal solution but is is something for now.

when I use gnome-mount -d /dev/fd0, then the Places menu gets a secodn icon
"disk" with a floppy icon (in addition to "Floppy drive")
same in the computer place
the disk icon opens nautilus with the floppy contents
floppy drive icon continues to be broken"

I got this from a mailing list.

Post by Guest »

I just read this about some other problems with Hardy...

Interesting informations... :roll:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

It seems meeting a deadline is more important that creating a quality release. Microsoft and Apple would not let such obvious bugs go unfixed. Ubuntu placed more priority on compiz than the base system itself. This type of development is why Linux does not enjoy more wide spread use. I was involved through all of the Hardy development releases, what a nightmare! I feel like I just wasted six months of my time for nothing.

Return to “Chat about Linux”