*cough* Did you change your opinion about UNITY

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Did you changed your opinion for UNITY

Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Yes. UNITY has improved a lot and is one of the best DE with innovation like HUD
13%
50:50. I can live with it, but would like to be improved (please mention reason)
21%
Not Sure, but not comfortable with it. I have installed another DE, but in Ubuntu as 5 year support is mouth watering.
13%
My opinion about UNITY hasn't changed
25%
I'm not comfortable with it and I don't care about 5 year support. And I don't think it is only for touch screens but I do care for the "classical desktop paradigm"
13%
No: I still think, it's TE (touch Screen optimized Environment) and not DE :D, who cares about 5 year support. Remember, how Linux was before 4-5 years? I want good old traditional DE (Old is Gold :) )
17%

Total votes: 24

sunewbie

*cough* Did you change your opinion about UNITY

Post by sunewbie »

Hi,

There are many good reviews about UNITY 12.04 and people are changing their opinion.

Did you change yours?

I installed Ubuntu 12.04, installed MyUnity. Then I played with UNITY panel. When I changed to hi-colour and hi-contrast icons, some icons disappeared in the panel. Again, by default all the icons in panel are backlit by default, so it is difficult to know which apps are active. Right clicking on icons does not offer to add more icons :(. There must be another way to add them to panel, which I have to google)

Panel cannot be toggled on/off on mouse hover :(

Is this expected for an LTS release?

I voted for 50:50: I can live with it but would like it to be improved. I have also installed Cairo dock and Lubuntu, Use cairo dock session occasionally for a change :D

your thoughts please.

Revoting is enabled, incase you change your opinion.

Poll will close after 30 days.

Please note this poll and post is not about Ubuntu, but just UNITY. I know Ubuntu has improved in some areas like fast booting and shut down, LightDM BG implementation, etc, but not the scope of this poll.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Graes

Re: *cough* Did you change your opinion about UNITY

Post by Graes »

nope.

the new ubuntu last 5-10 minutes on my pc :mrgreen:
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

I still see Unity in the same manner as when it was first released. It has its own strengths, weaknesses and learning curve so some folks will like it and some folks won't. However I don't see a poll choice that reflects that opinion so no vote here.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Between the 3rd and 4th choice there seems to be missing an option. So also no vote from me :)

I'm not comfortable with it (=3rd choice), but I don't care about 5 year support (=4th choice). And I don't think it is only for touch screens (=3rd choice), but I do care for the "classical desktop paradigm" (=4th choice). Aarrgghh!! :D
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

sunewbie wrote:must be another way to add them to panel
Drag n drop?

No vote from me as I just don't see the point. I have now however moved up to precise purely to get the system improvements and stability of the lts. First thing I did was install gnome shell and cairo dock and add back in the mint repos to get cinnamon, which seems to be unstable on this version of gnome. Unity is ok and has improved but still doesn't quite fit my preferred ways of desktop usage.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Looking at the new Gnome3 and Unity..... i won't let my desktop look like some cheap tablet or netbook with that sidebar and that extra button showing all applications. And it looks ugly on a 22 inch flatscreen!

Unity/Gnome3 is not my ideal desktop environment... I eve think of switching from Mint 12 to Mint Xfce just for the good old feeling.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I changed the options, but in the process, votes were reset. Sorry guys. You need to re-vote it. Do I miss anything?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry about the vote resetting :oops: But thanks for making my opinion a choice :lol: Voted!
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

xenopeek wrote:Sorry about the vote resetting :oops: But thanks for making my opinion a choice :lol: Voted!
No issues.I posted this on a lighter note. Not something like my thread Mint 13 XFCE. I know it will be a pain to re-vote.

I will be cautious when I create a poll in future about resetting. Do you know how to change options without resetting?

Guess I have covered most options :mrgreen:

I am not making any more changes to the poll ;)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Nope :)
Poll options: Place each option on a new line. You may enter up to 10 options. If you remove or add options all previous votes will be reset.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

xenopeek wrote:Nope :)
Poll options: Place each option on a new line. You may enter up to 10 options. If you remove or add options all previous votes will be reset.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Yes I changed my opinion after I have seen the new 5.0 in Ubuntu.

I have the 4 version installed in Mint 12 and would like to install the 5.0 version, but without succes untill now. Doe anyone have information how to do it?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I don't understand this widespread belief that Unity has changed a lot in 12.04. It's basically the same, a bit of refinement and a few more built-in configuration options, otherwise it's exactly the same as it was. I assume most people's gripe with Unity is with the basic workflow and the full screen optimization (global menu, things hiding from sight), not small details.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Didn't like it at first (mostly from reading negative comments about it and going in with a negative attitude)...
then i came back and worked with it for about 3 weeks (with a POSITIVE attitude and OPEN mind) and now i love using it :D

I think most who hate it haven't given it a fair chance (which means working with it for a few weeks) and also because they don't like something that is different from what they are use to...

I like the improvements they made from 11.10 to 12.04 (especially being able to shrink the icons on the bar) and i like the global menu because it gives me more screen space...Only thing i would like to be able to do (as an option...but seems ubuntu is against the idea) is to be able to move the bar to the bottom of the screen and with a smaller width (more cairo dock sized i would say)...

Otherwise i find it easy to work with, even with it's current location on the left side of the screen...and i don't consider this a tablet interface (windows 8 with it's tile block layout definitely qualifies as a table interface) but a "dock" interface (more like a mac)....
Hypersphere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hypersphere »

Yes. When I first looked at Unity about a year ago, I was instantly repelled. However, necessity has brought me back to Ubuntu, because I am in the process of purchasing a new workstation, and I need to load an OS that is available now and that the hardware vendor is willing to use. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS seemed an ideal candidate. After recent tests of Unity, trying to keep an open mind, I found that it was actually a rather good interface. It is polished, professional, stable, and useful. It is even almost aesthetically pleasing, and it could be fine with some relatively small improvements. First, it should be possible (easily, using a gui control) to move the launcher "dock" to either side or the bottom. Second, it should be possible to set the size of the launcher icons to values below 32 px. It should also be possible to set the size of the HUD. However, even with these current limitations, after adding the terminal to the dock and installing synaptic, I found that I had a workable desktop for my new workstation.

Even so, I have also recently decided that my favorite desktop is KDE (with Xfce a close second). Although I could add KDE to Ubuntu or Linux Mint, I am looking forward to testing Linux Mint 13 KDE when it emerges. I have found that it is better to use a KDE-dedicated version, because the overall integration is better than it is after adding KDE on top of another version.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Watch this video of a review of Ubuntu 12.04 on youtube...note what he says in his comments during the last 4 minutes or so of it....Up until now he hated unity, but as of 12.04 he now LOVES IT...and he gives very concrete reasons for his turn around about it...i think the unity haters might appreciate seeing this :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQp4rrMG ... re=related
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

craig10x wrote:Didn't like it at first (mostly from reading negative comments about it and going in with a negative attitude)...
then i came back and worked with it for about 3 weeks (with a POSITIVE attitude and OPEN mind) and now i love using it :D

I think most who hate it haven't given it a fair chance (which means working with it for a few weeks) and also because they don't like something that is different from what they are use to...

I like the improvements they made from 11.10 to 12.04 (especially being able to shrink the icons on the bar) and i like the global menu because it gives me more screen space...Only thing i would like to be able to do (as an option...but seems ubuntu is against the idea) is to be able to move the bar to the bottom of the screen and with a smaller width (more cairo dock sized i would say)...

Otherwise i find it easy to work with, even with it's current location on the left side of the screen...and i don't consider this a tablet interface (windows 8 with it's tile block layout definitely qualifies as a table interface) but a "dock" interface (more like a mac)....
I agree 100%. You saved me some typing.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

you're welcome wolfen69...glad to be of help :lol:
same wolfen69 from ubuntu forums? if so, welcome...nice to see you here too :wink:
love your sense of humor over there, by the way... :mrgreen:
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

craig10x wrote:
+1 They have definitely made improvements. 12.10 will be much better in terms of UNITY improvements.

What I think is that you should give time for developer to dump whatever is there in their minds. After that their mind becomes free and receptive enough to take criticism positively. Then they can improve any app / DE / Shell.

Every DE has it's advantages and disadvantages. UNITY is definitely polished and smooth, still I would like it ot be improved. If MyUnity was added by default, then it would hav given a better impression that the devs are happy if anyone tweaks UI. It look like UNITY devs do not like it to be changed or rather they want us to be used as they give it, so they may not have added MyUnity or developed similar tweak tool and shipped it by default.

I use UNITY, but for general surfing I use LXDE.

Just a personal opinion.
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

craig10x wrote:you're welcome wolfen69...glad to be of help :lol:
same wolfen69 from ubuntu forums? if so, welcome...nice to see you here too :wink:
love your sense of humor over there, by the way... :mrgreen:
Yeah, same wolfen69. I just use a different avatar here. And as you can see, I don't come here very often.

Return to “Chat about Linux”