Fedora 17?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MattyC157

Fedora 17?

Post by MattyC157 »

Hello.
I am new to Linux and Linux Mint 12/13 is really the only Linux Distro that i have sniffed around at.
With the new release of Fedora 17 "Beefy Miracle" (loving the name) i was wandering if it would be worth having a look at. Fedora 17 has been getting good reviews and is suppose to put together very well.
I have been having some stablity issues on Mint and i have tried a lot to fix them. I.e Updating Kernel which only seemed to crash my system. This has put me off Linux Mint slightly and i was wandering how Fedora 17 compared to Linux Mint and i would like some opinions from people who have used it and could give me some advice.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cudayne

Re: Fedora 17?

Post by cudayne »

glad too see new person. The only thing with Fedora you will have too install codec for video,flash,mp3. Java if you need it. Now this isn't a bad thing gives you some experience in doing it an there is good documentation on how to do it just be ready too do it. Run teh live cd first too make sure everything works.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Try it out, download a live iso, burn it onto a USB stick and give it a whirl without installing it on your hard drive

I triple boot fedora 17, Mint 13 and Ubuntu 12.04 and never find any reason to use fedora but I don't have hardware issues so maybe it turns out the winner for you. If you do install fedora it's essential you run one of the postinstall "common tasks" scripts to make the system easier to use, I recommend fedora utils: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/fedora-p ... edora.html - it takes care of everything missing in out-of-the-box fedora
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

I like Fedora for its package management. The one thing missing in Mint (and Debian) is the yum history command of Fedora/Red Hat: List (and, if you want to, undo) every batch of package modifications, like installation and update. Also, presto (debdelta on Debian/*buntu) is enabled by default.
MattyC157

Post by MattyC157 »

I have been looking on DistroWatch and i have seen Fedora has been getting a lot of love and has been pushed up to the 3rd most viewed.
I am slightly put off by the fact that i will need to install codecs as i am a newb at this. I was wandering if Kororaa was good for being easy to use out of the box with all codecs and programs needed already installed. Seeing as it is a fork of Fedora i would like to have a look at it. I would also like to use the KDE desktop environment as i have not used it properly and would like to see how it compares.
Thankyou for your replys and i will try and few distros out on an old PC i have lying around the house.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

MattyC157 wrote:I have been looking on DistroWatch and i have seen Fedora has been getting a lot of love and has been pushed up to the 3rd most viewed.
I am slightly put off by the fact that i will need to install codecs as i am a newb at this. I was wandering if Kororaa was good for being easy to use out of the box with all codecs and programs needed already installed. Seeing as it is a fork of Fedora i would like to have a look at it. I would also like to use the KDE desktop environment as i have not used it properly and would like to see how it compares.
Thankyou for your replys and i will try and few distros out on an old PC i have lying around the house.
See my comment above - there is an excellent fedora postinstall script which takes care of all those things for you.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Here's a link to another article that mentions Fedora Utils (also mentions AutoPlus): http://www.muktware.com/3664/install-fl ... s-autoplus

And another one, discusses AutoPlus: http://www.unixmen.com/fedora-17-instal ... 5-minutes/
watcheroftheskies

Post by watcheroftheskies »

@MattyC157

Hi,

I have been using Mint as my stable distro for my main desktop since Gloria. Always a pleasure, Yet now I'm having trouble with the whole Ubuntu family. Seems it all has to do with recent chnages in Xorg and incomatibility with the Nvidia 173 driver. I need the proprietary driver for Cinnamon/Gnome 3, but the most recent Nvidia driver keeps crashing at the most inconvenient times (desktop completely unresponsive), not all the time, yet it does.

Now I've tried the Fedora 17 live cd and it runs very smoothly, probably due to their new llvmpipe implementation which makes it possible to run Gnome 3 on non 3d graphic cards. Or maybe they have put in more effort to tweak the open Nouveau driver for Nvidia cards. Anyway I'm thinking of changing base, because it will take Ubuntu 12.10 before the llvmpipe tech wil enter Mint. I just need a stable base for my family desktop. We don't want them clamouring for Windows, do we? ;)

And of course I can use Cinnamon on Fedora as well... :P
Regards

Return to “Chat about Linux”