Seagate momentus XT

Chat about Linux in general

Seagate momentus XT

Postby steveking on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:06 am

I am looking to upgrade my HDD to a hybrid drive, specifically the momentus XT.

Has anybody been able to try one of these yet? I have read review after review, watched countless videos, and it seems to be amazing!
The problem is (like with all new technologies) they arent always as good as they seem. I am interested in any input on this topic?
So far my spec is giving me great results, but like many of you I am always looking to see what is better. In direct comparison what is better
a hybrid HDD where it can boot nicely from the SDD or a more high speed SATA like the western digital velocoraptor?

Appologies if this post is in the wrong part of the forum, I could seem to find the right place for it so "Other" seemed to fit nicely.
2nd gen core i5 : 8Gb RAM : AMD Radeon HD 6770 1Gb GDDR5 : 1Tb 7500 SATA

cpanel Login - The Easy Way To Log Into Your cPanel Hosting
steveking
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Seagate momentus XT

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Moved here, as I think you just want to know if anybody has used it with Linux :wink:

First search result: http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-X ... m-p/109008 :( Perhaps it is resolved now, I haven't read the thread beyond the first post...
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Seagate momentus XT

Postby steveking on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:15 am

Thanks for sending me to that, very informative about the Momentus XT. As it turns out the root of the problem seemed top be a dodgy firmware update.
Apparantly this has been fixed, which is a relief! Now I still have a choice between the XT and the Velosirapter.
2nd gen core i5 : 8Gb RAM : AMD Radeon HD 6770 1Gb GDDR5 : 1Tb 7500 SATA

cpanel Login - The Easy Way To Log Into Your cPanel Hosting
steveking
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Chat about Linux