My Year With Linux

Chat about Linux in general

My Year With Linux

Postby KBD47 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:31 am

KBD47
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:50 am

KBD47 wrote:I've asked myself recently, "Would you recommend Linux to others?" If so, "What would you tell newcomers about Linux?"

I think my answer is best said in this way: Linux is free software, but what it costs you is time. If you have neither the time nor the patience to learn a new operating system, then you had better stick to Windows. But, if you are willing to give it a shot, and are not afraid to take some risks with a new operating system, I think in the end you will not regret leaving Windows behind.

Good article :D I think I agree with you on the above, mostly :wink: A new Windows version can be a pain on older hardware (or indeed newer hardware :shock:), as drivers have not been updated or released yet by the manufacturers for that Windows version. Some of your programs may also no longer work due to compatibility issues with the newer Windows version. Buying hardware per-installed with an operating system seems to be the best advice for users not wanting to invest time, so replace hardware & OS at the same time.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13679
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby Monsta on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:02 am

KBD47 wrote:I think my answer is best said in this way: Linux is free software, but what it costs you is time. If you have neither the time nor the patience to learn a new operating system, then you had better stick to Windows. But, if you are willing to give it a shot, and are not afraid to take some risks with a new operating system, I think in the end you will not regret leaving Windows behind.

Well put indeed. I think this quote would be a nice addition to the first post of this thread, for example :)
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:06 am

Well, a lot happened since 2007 :wink:
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13679
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby KBD47 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 am

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Good article :D I think I agree with you on the above, mostly :wink: A new Windows version can be a pain on older hardware (or indeed newer hardware :shock:), as drivers have not been updated or released yet by the manufacturers for that Windows version. Some of your programs may also no longer work due to compatibility issues with the newer Windows version. Buying hardware per-installed with an operating system seems to be the best advice for users not wanting to invest time, so replace hardware & OS at the same time.


Thanks Vincent! What you outline is the only fair comparison between Linux and Windows--trying to install both on either very old or brand new hardware that hasn't been configured for either. In that contest Linux might come out ahead :-) I've read some comments from those who have bought Linux systems from zareason? with matched hardware to Linux and have been very happy with their Linux computers.
KBD47
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby KBD47 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:56 am

Monsta wrote:Well put indeed. I think this quote would be a nice addition to the first post of this thread, for example :)



Thanks Monsta!
KBD47
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 am

Yeah, I'd probably buy a Linux laptop from System76 or Zareason if they weren't so far away :wink: A good set of links to vendors offering desktops, laptops and tablets already installed with Linux is Linux Pre-loaded.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13679
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby KBD47 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Yeah, I'd probably buy a Linux laptop from System76 or Zareason if they weren't so far away :wink: A good set of links to vendors offering desktops, laptops and tablets already installed with Linux is Linux Pre-loaded.


Thanks for that link! I hope we will see more OEMs putting Linux on computers.
KBD47
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 am

I hope nobody missed it, but you can now buy a Linux Mint branded computer, pre-installed with Linux Mint :wink:

Read more about the mintBox: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13679
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby KBD47 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 am

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:I hope nobody missed it, but you can now buy a Linux Mint branded computer, pre-installed with Linux Mint :wink:

Read more about the mintBox: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055


That is pretty cool :-)
KBD47
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby Pilosopong Tasyo on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:16 am

KBD47 wrote:I think my answer is best said in this way: Linux is free software, but what it costs you is time. If you have neither the time nor the patience to learn a new operating system, then you had better stick to Windows. But, if you are willing to give it a shot, and are not afraid to take some risks with a new operating system, I think in the end you will not regret leaving Windows behind.

Whenever a Windows/MS-Office user ask me, "Is it hard to learn and use Linux/LibreOffice?" I tell them, "Let me put it this way: did you learn how to use a Windows system and Microsoft Office in just one sitting?" Naturally, they shake their head, and I continue, "Well, the same goes with a Linux system and Linux-based programs. Just as you invested a lot of time in learning Windows and Microsoft Office, you also have to spend some time learning about Linux and LibreOffice, being mindful of the differences between Win/MSO and *Nix/LO. You do not need to unlearn everything about Windows/MS-Office, though. The nice thing about this is you already have some foundation on how things work on a basic level, and all you need to do is adapt what you already know on a Linux system."
Image
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
User avatar
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:26 am
Location: Philippines

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby Netherfox on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm jealous that you guys even get to have conversations about linux. I don't know anyone who's interested in it.
Lenovo IdeaPad - Mint 12 x86_64
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
4GB DDR3 1066
256GB Crucial M4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M


I <11 binary
Netherfox
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: My Year With Linux

Postby KBD47 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Well said Pilosopong Tasyo!
KBD47
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Chat about Linux

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests