Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Re: Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Post by Schoelje »

It's been a while but I've been working hard for the past week.
I've been working on a Plymouth Manager for Debian and because it's my first Python/Glade experience (and my coding days have past a long time ago) it took some time until I was satisfied enough to post it here.

I created a front end for Plymouth. There already was one for Ubuntu but I couldn't use that so I started this one from scratch...without the burden of having the coding skills or talent.

I hope you can test what I've conjured here but please, don't try this on your system yet (or have an image when things go wrong).
You can download it here:
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages ... .0_all.deb

Screenshot:
Last edited by Schoelje on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Shiny, Schoelje! I can't wait to give it a try. I was hoping to putt the trigger on the nuke and pave last week but I ended up falling behind on a lot of things so if I'm lucky I'll install your respin later this week. Once I do I'll see about snagging the new .deb and see how it behaves on my system. It definitely looks nicer than EZSwitch, which is what I use now for changing Plymouth themes.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje,
that link doesn't go to the .deb d/l but to a page with a bunch of code, this >>
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zz

The .deb downloaded ok for me.... :?:

zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hey Gene you know what :shock: it d/l perfectly for me also with chromium
but still get the same code soup with FF (and just tried a clean FF profile- get the same: so might be a FF thingy but it's not my setup messing it up)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Mint 11.... :shock: :shock:

Time you clean out your downloads folder, my friend..... :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: forum tasks

Code: Select all

Accessed: Thu 21 Jun 2012 22:49:36 BST
Modified: Thu 21 Jun 2012 22:31:48 BST
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I see you're all having fun downloading the deb :)

Before I forget it: thanks to BostonPeng's tutorial (http://nancib.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/ ... -rebooting) I included a bash that you can run if you want to preview your Plymouth settings.
If you open a terminal, login as root and run "plymouth-preview" you'll see what your settings look like before you reboot.
And if you want to see the debug information, just run "debian-plymouth-manager" from terminal.

Because you need to run this as root, I could not include this in the program...something to do about security...highly overrated...
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Actually that tutorial should have a new home. I recently spun off my Linux posts form that blog to a new blog, Linux + Me, that will be specifically for my Linux-related writing. It turned out that somehow that post missed getting included in the move (woops!), but once I get it moved I'll edit this reply with the new addy.Thanks for pointing out that I missed it. I had a feeling some posts would get missed.

ETA: IT's now on my Linux blog at http://bostonpeng.wordpress.com/2011/11 ... rebooting/
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tested the Plymouth manager in my lmde-kde-test partition and it works without problems, tho i'm not much of a plymouth person as you probably already guessed.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I placed the code for debian-plymouth-manager on github:
https://github.com/Schoelje/debian-plymouth-manager

So, if anyone would like to contribute...
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:I see you're all having fun downloading the deb :)
Tested this Plymouth manager (in Virtualbox) and it worked perfectly. :)
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
bradsha22

Post by bradsha22 »

Working on my 64 bit system nicely on a duel boot set up got the ati drivers and fglrx to fully work with going to the package manger and installing the drivers from synaptic although the boot screen that reboot and shut down goes wonky but works!. . Thanks for the os and good work i hope we can get 4.9 soon ! :D :mrgreen:
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Testers needed!

As you might know, I've been coding away for the past few weeks.
It looks like that the Debian Plymouth Manager functions well.

Now, I've finished a new welcome screen: it incorporates hardware driver detection for which additional drivers can be installed.
For now, only Nvidia, ATI and Broadcom are supported and it will detect multi-core 32-bit systems for which the pae kernel could be installed.

The welcome screen is accompanied by a driver manager which can be used separately.
This application is responsible for the actual installation of the selected drivers and will start installing the drivers as soon as you hit the "Install drivers" button in the welcome screen.

For this I need some volunteers:
  • Test the installation of drivers on an ATI system.
  • Test with Broadcom chip set.
  • Test with legacy Nvidia chip set.
  • Just click away and see what happens
Any suggestions are very welcome (and needed)!

You can download the debs here:

Screenshots
Last edited by Schoelje on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ok i can test one of the required fields (broadcom) :D
how do i go about that exactly?
- grab that liveUSB, boot in the laptop, install the debs and "click away" :lol: ?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Yes, that's about it.
If you log off and log in again, the welcome screen should pop up...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm assuming that for nvidia current things are more or less tested?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Your assumption is correct ;)
I've been installing and reinstalling the Nvidia drivers for the past few days now.
Except of course, an Nvidia legacy card...I haven't got that one.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it didn't work in the live session :!: installed ok (didn't even gave the dep problem that i got in the installed system: install first debian-driver-manager and only after debian-welcome) but it didn't show up (and yes i logged out several times) no biggie i guess; while i was waiting for the system to install in the laptop i tried in the desktop and it worked just perfect
now i'm gonna try the promised broadcom :wink:
nahh it doesn't detect my card

apart from this, 2 questions:
1- debian-driver-manager logs its activity where? might be useful for troubleshooting;
2- it could be a clearer indication that the driver is installed/uninstalled (like in my nvidia example above: even with the driver previously installed, ddm's dialogue is "install drivers")
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

...forgot to mention that: just like mintwelcome, debian-welcome doesn't run in a live environment (or does it, I'm confused).

What do you get when you run:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep Wireless
Looking at the code, it should detect your Broadcom network card (even more confused now).

Logging is not yet implemented (working on that) but if you run debian-driver-manager or debian-welcome from terminal, you will see all the output.

I haven't decided yet how to show whether or not a driver is already installed. Some drivers that are listed could already be installed and others might not. The user should always have the freedom to decide whether or not to install the driver, even when it's already installed. Maybe indicating with a colored first cell: green for a clean install and orange for a reinstall.

Return to “Chat about Linux”