Several Questions

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alen_m_junior

Several Questions

Post by alen_m_junior »

Hi guys
I like to know:
1. Why Yahoo messenger full support ( Voice - File Sharing - Web Cam ) is not supported yet? except in Kopete ( partially ) ... it's a very basic feature and many people use Yahoo services, while there are 100 distros out there and most of them updates every 6 months plus many messenger clients for linux , still a feature like that is missing.

2. As a newbie to linux world I would love to learn everything about the unix commands, any simple refrences specially for newbies?

3. I am using Mint 13 XFCE and there is an option in Start up programs : Lunch KDE Services ... if I enable it, Does some apps like K3b or Kopete works more stable? What's the point of this feature at all coz I think kde apps run without it too, someone explain the pros n cons of it pls.

4. I usually install my ATI Driver ( HD 5750 ) manually in command line, But the AMD ATI link in start menu doesn't work and I have to call it from command line. is it a bug? also when I check " search for driver" options it brings 2 results which really makes me confuse and I don't know the differences, plus it would be nice if it had a progress loader like the one in system update so I can see what's the download size and also my progress percentage.

5. is there a way to upgrade all the install applications to the latest version not the versions which are available in software center?

6. Running a KDE or Gnome apps in XFCE mode is stable? my problem is any desktop enviroment has some pros n cons, I love xfce for many reasons but still some of my favorite apps are for gnome or kde

7. is there any e-book about learning different desktop environment or I have to search the forums?

8. If I unchek the update level 3 ( I love this feature ) does it mean my system will not work properly or as stable as a system with those updates?

9. Is there a thing like Linux Certified? something valid like MCITP or CCNA stuff? Where should I start ? what resources are available online? What's the practical benefit of mixing the knowledge of linux n cisco stuff for someone who wants to learn them both?

since I am a little stupid please reply to my Questions by their numbers :)
tnx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Several Questions

Post by xenopeek »

Whoa, lots of questions :D I'll answer the ones I know.

1. Yahoo! Messenger is proprietary software (closed source), so only Yahoo! can bring it to Linux. Apparently not enough users are asking them about this :) (For some more background, see this idea on the community website: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/2737.)

2. Introduction to the Command Line is rather good: http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/index/

4. Perhaps ask for support on the Graphics Cards & Monitors section: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=59

5. No, the focus of Linux Mint (and Ubuntu) is to have a stable, thoroughly integration tested, release. Packages are only upgraded to fix security issues and bugs, generally not for newer versions. If you have a few applications for which you absolutely must have the latest version for some new feature, you can usually find a PPA (personal package archive) from the developers for Ubuntu 12.04. You can use those on Linux Mint 13 also.

6. Yes, though if you switch to a different theme if may be some work to make applications from other desktop environments also match that theme.

7. What do you want to learn?

8. It may, though generally you mostly get fixes for security issues.

9. Depends on your purpose, but generally recruiters value Red Hat certifications (as Red Hat is often used in corporate settings, if Linux is used). You can also get certification from LPI, and these prepare you for more than Red Hat. LPIC-1 not valued so much, but if you have LPIC-2 or 3 that would be valued depending on what company you want to work for. Note that Red Hat is quite different from Linux Mint.
alen_m_junior

Post by alen_m_junior »

Tnx Vincent
I really like this concept to share the knowledge via communities but for newbies like me, sometimes its confusing specially when people have different point of view or personal opinion instead of technical knowledge base answers.

About Q.1
I can understand it but my point is something else, Kopete have the web cam support and its open source, So why its not available in Pidgin or any other messengers? you know what I mean?
for example in the next version of mint ( 14) what should be an standard when it comes to collect pre-intalled apps ? I only use kopete for this feature and I don't like the app that much. If pre-installed apps were feature rich enough, then there is no need to customize it and one more thing ... is there a limitation to make the pre-install apps bundle? for example K3b as far as I know is the best CD Burn app and its also user friendly. What it should be only in KDE version since it's e KDE app? why not putting it in XFCE or Cinnamon version by default?

About Q.3
is there a XFCE segment here? or Cinnamon ? coz I had some issues in cinnamon too

About Q.7
I like to learn every features not only customization. If I know everything about each feature and how to turn it on or off. then I can fix it. for example the KDE is really screay for me and I wonder why people compare it with Windows ( although i hate windows but C'mon at least its really simple to work ). another example is I almost killed myself to find out : HOW TO REMOVE that stupid Activity bar on the right-up corner of the screen and still don't know it

About Q.9
I have 2 goals by that, one is to be usefull in open source community ( as a developer or what ever )and helping to grow up faster among other people ( coz I really dont like Win or OSx and their Dominatior's Concepts )
the second is having the skill the internationally is most wanted.

tnx again for ur reply
the other
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Q1; different users have different needs. Pidgin is a sensible default, and it is easy enough to add another application after installation if you have some specific needs or preferences. It's not uncommon for users to want to replace one or two default applications after installation with their own preferences.

Q3; if you have a support request about the Cinnamon or Xfce desktop environment, you can post those in the Desktops & Window Managers section.

Q7; if you want to learn about KDE, visit User Base on their Wiki: http://wiki.kde.org/. I understand messing about with configuration can be scary. I always install VirtualBox and have a copy of Linux Mint running in there to experiment with without risking breaking my system :) Or you could install another copy of Linux Mint alongside (in dual boot) your current Linux Mint to experiment with.

Q9; if you want to be useful in the open source community, be useful :) Participate, at whatever level you currently can. The open source community cares only about your participation, not about which certificates you hold. For Linux Mint, here is an overview of the various ways you can get involved: http://www.linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php.

If you find you are currently lacking in Linux skills, LPIC-1 may be a good introduction. If you have the option in your country, I'd recommend seeing if you can pick up a copy of a good Linux magazine, like Linux Format. Most Linux magazines are aimed at professionals, and for users new to Linux it will be tough to pick up skills from those. Linux Format is highly accessible also to new users, and has a good selection of articles (news, reviews, even a section on programming).
alen_m_junior

Post by alen_m_junior »

Tnx a lot Vincent
I will consider all you said and tnx again
Unfortunately I am living in Iran !
I am not sure how much you know about the current situation of this country but here taking a breath with your girlfriend or wife in mountain or somewhere cozzy is 100% illegal ... although we do it anyway ;)
but the point is because of political situations n global sanctions and other stuff : no my resources are really limited. thats why I asked : wich certificate is internationally most wanted with job vacancy !
Coz i should leave my country to get that Cert. and if I go that way , surely I need a stable job .
any way
speaking of the witch ;) here internet censorship over anything u can't even imagin is typical ... something like North Korea or China or even worst
1 thing I really love about linux ( as far as I got by testing distros ) is this OS is really fast when it comes to Internet connectivity and also mass data transfering ( even between my external HDD and my internal Disk ) ... So:
1- I would love to know what its like that? I mean comparing with Windows or Mac OS X its like Heaven and Hell ( I've never been in heaven but I can guess how does hell look like )
2- Is there any solution for anonymous internet surfing .. I can't even check my damn facebook ... I am using Tor Bundle but if there's a free & fast vpn , or applications for linux to handle this situation, Can u guide me through that?

Maybe I am a little dummy since I am a newbie in linux or open source world but I am a real believer in the whole concept and I love to support it, surely I will check the link you sent me for being usefull and tnx again
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The best certification, when looking for employment, is Red Hat (RHSCA + RHCE as a start). It's the industry standard certification if you are looking to be employed in a Linux position at large businesses. That said, indeed you can not get Red Hat certification in Iran because U.S. law prohibits services export to Iran currently. So your best option is to go for the second most recognized certification; LPI certification (LPIC-1 + LPIC-2 as a start). As shared, this will give you broader experience than just Red Hat, which may be preferable for employment opportunities. Certification for that is available in Iran I think (can't read the page :D): http://www.lpi-iran.org/

Linux Mint is an awesome desktop Linux, but when considering either Red Hat or LPI certification and future employment I recommend you get hands-on experience with Linux for servers. For employment at large businesses (worldwide), those will probably run Red Hat, SUSE or similar enterprise Linux distros which have paid support from their vendors (this may not be a consideration in Iran, given aforementioned export restrictions prohibiting that). Though web servers for example are most commonly run on Debian.

Debian is available for free, but Red Hat isn't. Red Hat's software is though, and both Scientific Linux and CentOS repackage the software for a near complete Red Hat experience. Scientific Linux gets the better reviews currently, as it is more up to date amongst other reasons. I'd recommend Scientific Linux. You may also have heard of Red Hat's community edition Fedora. Skip that; it is a "testing grounds" for new features that may eventually make it into Red Hat. Not relevant if you are looking for employment.

Downloading may not be an option for you. You can buy Debian, Scientific Linux, and others in Iran though. I found the following to stores that will sell you the discs:
http://linuxshop.ir/
http://shop.sito.ir/

Which should you pick? I'd perhaps contact the LPI in your country, explore options and cost for training and certification, and perhaps also ask them for a recommendation for a Linux distro when looking for future employment. They would probably know what Linux is commonly used in businesses in Iran, and which would serve you best for training and gaining experience.

If you have the option to buy it, I can recommend the book "UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook" (fourth edition). This has loads of information for system administrators, and covers topics for all commonly used enterprise Linux and UNIX distros. See http://www.admin.com/. (It's not a self study guide though, it's a very useful reference for system administrators.)

For LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 you an also pick up a self study guide: As to your second question, there are probably options but I don't have any experience with that :|
alen_m_junior

Post by alen_m_junior »

WoW Tnx Vincent
A lot of usefull information :)
I am gonna contact them although the fees are expensive but then again, no pain no gain ;)

Return to “Chat about Linux”