The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BostonPeng

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by BostonPeng »

YOW! Good think you did the simulation first.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Either Debian doesn't like my computer or the opposite around.

Un-installed and rebooted = no sound.

Re-installed pulseaudio, rebooted = still no sound. :?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

DaComboMan wrote:Re-installed pulseaudio, rebooted = still no sound. :?
This is a stab in the dark: I checked what I have installed on my system...could you run this?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pulseaudio-utils gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
And do a reboot...

I don't really have much confidence in this, but it's worth a try.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Still a no go Schoelje. Have all the latest in there.

Guess it's time abandon ship.
You did all you could and i don't want to make you lose anymore of your time at developing this nice Debian KDE!
Must admit, the OS works just fine so you really shouldn't have much more to do to make it available for testing.

Think i'll give Fedora a shot.
Don't really want to, as i really thought i finally found the Mint version for my system.

Nice working for and with you!
At least some people have found some good tips out of this adventure. :)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@DaComboMan
I'm sorry we couldn't help you solve your sound issue.
Don't forget to drop in once in a while: LMDE KDE is getting better with every release.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

You have been very kind and most generous with your time!

Will likely try out LMDE KDE again some time.

Running Fedora 17 and have no issues with sound.
Even my Logitech headset works well!

Getting Flash-Player to work is another story...
There's always got to be something with Linux. :lol:
ale_ngr

Post by ale_ngr »

Great job...on my opinion one of the best distro yet.
Perfect installation ( better than the official cinnamon mate on my experience). Snappy and sleek and so far no troubles at all.
And the only iso available of lmde-up5 yet :wink:

if anybody would be interested I had a couple of ideas about the logo, nothing new I just briefly modified one of the already existing lmde logos, but I think that Schoelje's work really deserves it's own one (at least on my pc :) )

my compliments again.

DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

That is a lovely logo Ale! :D

Hope to see it some day.

---

In the mean time, here are specs to my laptop (in case anyone can ever be inspired to find a solution to my "no sound" issue).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j0l0odzn07vq ... 20Info.jpg
josk

Post by josk »

Nice to see that we have LMDE version of KDE. I hope that it will get all visibility in the net and user base will keep raising. I just love Debian testing plus KDE and this combo has always been little problematic because lack of good distos. I really like that Mint semi rolling way. My current LMDE Xfce system with apt-get installed KDE desktop is still running fine but next time when I need to reinstall my system Im going to use your 64bit ISO file. Keep going!
RonnyS

Post by RonnyS »

Hey, I just tried installing this on my system and I already have both Win7 and Mint 13 XFCE installed.
When it asked me where I wanted to install, I selected my drive. Then it said I have nothing installed
on the current drive and when I went into gparted, it said the drive was unallocated! What is wrong with
this picture?
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

RonnyS wrote:Hey, I just tried installing this on my system and I already have both Win7 and Mint 13 XFCE installed.
When it asked me where I wanted to install, I selected my drive. Then it said I have nothing installed
on the current drive and when I went into gparted, it said the drive was unallocated! What is wrong with
this picture?
Hmmmm. Sounds very strange. Gparted (I think you mean Kparted) should show you what is already on the drive. This is what I would try:

1. Boot up the live DVD.

2. Go into the menu and open a terminal.

3. Type in

sudo fdisk -l
. This should list all the hard disks on your PC and what partitions etc there are. This is what mine shows:

richard@galaxy ~ $ sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for richard: 

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0009a841

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1    61448625    30724312+  83  Linux
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda2        61464690    77850989     8193150   82  Linux swap / Solaris
Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda3        77850990  2125865384  1024007197+  83  Linux
Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda4      2125867008  3907028991   890580992    5  Extended
/dev/sda5      2125869056  2166829055    20480000   83  Linux
/dev/sda6      2166831104  2986031103   409600000   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 400.1 GB, 400088457216 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 48641 cylinders, total 781422768 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x255653f8

/dev/sdb1              63   781417664   390708801   83  Linux
richard@galaxy ~ $ 
You can see there are two disks, one on /dev/sda and one on /dev/sdb. Try this and post the output here. Let's see what you have
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

RonnyS wrote:Hey, I just tried installing this on my system and I already have both Win7 and Mint 13 XFCE installed.
this picture?
If gparted show you just one unallocated space, yet the hard disk is working well, then there is a very high chance partition table had been corrupted.

Use fdisk -l to check, if partition table is still OK, just use fdisk to rewrite partition table.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ale_ngr wrote:if anybody would be interested I had a couple of ideas about the logo, nothing new I just briefly modified one of the already existing lmde logos, but I think that Schoelje's work really deserves it's own one (at least on my pc :)
Somehow all my posts failed yesterday (weird)...

Your logo looks really great!
However, if I want LMDE KDE to become an official LM member, all design, including the logo, needs to look more or less the same.
But still: my compliments for the design.
RonnyS

Post by RonnyS »

Here is a screenshot of FDisk and the message I get when attempting to install - attached
snapshot1.png
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

RonnyS

I was hoping that someone with more experience than me would step in and help. However, this thread is really only for testers of the up5 update and doesn't have as many visitors as a more mainstream thread. Your problem is almost certainly one about the partition table rather than LMDE or Kparted for that matter. Here are a few early steps you could try to narrow down the problem. They are in order of the likelihood you might bork your system.

1. Post your question to a more popular Linux Mint forum, giving the same info as you did here.

2. While you do that, reboot with the live LMDE DVD and choose Partition Editor (Kparted) from the main menu rather than relying on the install process. See if that still doesn't show your partitions.

3. Reboot with your Mint 13 XFCE disk and see if Gparted reports the same.

If you still can't see the partitions you can either wait for more expert help from another forum or try the following. The following suggestions do depend on how important your existing install is to you - see my comments here on in. All suggestions can be tried without actually making changes to the hard disk before committing yourself. But once you actually choose to write the changes to the disk you are committed to the results.

I am presuming that when you boot your PC, you get a proper Grub menu that lists both Windows 7 and LM XFCE. Further, that you can always select either and both boot correctly?

4. Now, on to fdisk reporting "Partition table entries are not in disk order". You can clearly see see this by looking at the start and end numbering for the blocks in your post above. For example, /dev/sda3 has higher numbering, and falls within, the numbering of blocks in the extended partition. it is also rather small (about the same size as your swap partition /dev/sda7) so I wonder what that is for - hardly big enough to hold much - by my calculations, only 2-3 Gb. Did you by any chance, create some/all of these partitions manually or during the XFCE install using Gparted?

You can re-order the tables rather easily. You are unlikely to lose any data, but you might have boot problems afterwards depending on the naming of UUIDs. That could be sorted out though. If you want to reorder, use fdisk as below. Note it will take no action until you actually write the table to disk and exit. So you can at least see what it would do, and if it results in any error messages or complications. Then you can back out without any changes actually being made and post the offending terminal output here.

First, boot with the live DVD. Then open a terminal and:

richard@galaxy ~ $ sudo fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): 
Then use m for help and p to print the table

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0009a841

/dev/sda1   *           1    61448625    30724312+  83  Linux
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda2        61464690    77850989     8193150   82  Linux swap / Solaris
Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda3        77850990  2125865384  1024007197+  83  Linux
Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda4      2125867008  3907028991   890580992    5  Extended
/dev/sda5      2125869056  2166829055    20480000   83  Linux
/dev/sda6      2166831104  2986031103   409600000   83  Linux

Command (m for help): 
Then choose m for the menu, and choose x to get the advanced one and f to fix:

Command (m for help): m
Command action
   a   toggle a bootable flag
   b   edit bsd disklabel
   c   toggle the dos compatibility flag
   d   delete a partition
   l   list known partition types
   m   print this menu
   n   add a new partition
   o   create a new empty DOS partition table
   p   print the partition table
   q   quit without saving changes
   s   create a new empty Sun disklabel
   t   change a partition's system id                                                                                                        
   u   change display/entry units                                                                                                            
   v   verify the partition table                                                                                                            
   w   write table to disk and exit                                                                                                          
   [b]x   extra functionality (experts only)   [/b]                                                                                                 

Command (m for help): x                                                                                                                      

Expert command (m for help): m                                                                                                               
Command action                                                                                                                               
   b   move beginning of data in a partition                                                                                                 
   c   change number of cylinders                                                                                                            
   d   print the raw data in the partition table                                                                                             
   e   list extended partitions                                                                                                              
   [b]f   fix partition order[/b]
   g   create an IRIX (SGI) partition table
   h   change number of heads
   i   change the disk identifier
   m   print this menu
   p   print the partition table
   q   quit without saving changes
   r   return to main menu
   s   change number of sectors/track
   v   verify the partition table
   w   write table to disk and exit

Expert command (m for help): f
Use m for the menu and p to print the table again. If all seems OK - i.e the numbering is sequential and there are no error messages etc, choose m for the menu and w to "write table to disk and exit". You may get a message to the effect that the partitions/disk are in use and the new table will be written after a reboot. Reboot your PC without the DVD and use sudo fdisk /dev/sda in a terminal to see if the numbering looks more logical. Now try Kparted again. If all is well, reboot with the DVD and try Install. If not successful, read on...

5. There is a decent alternative but depends on you sacrificing your XFCE installation. If it was up to me, I would delete all the linux partitions, including the extended one, leaving only your Win 7 install. I am sure this is where the trouble lies. You can use fdisk to do this. Boot the live DVD, open a terminal, use sudo fdisk /dev/sda as usual. Then choose d for delete partitions and delete all those after sda2 selecting carefully. Remember, nothing will actually happen until you write to disk. When they are all deleted, choose p to print the table and make sure the two win7 partitions are still there. Then write table to disk and exit. Then reboot with the live DVD. I am 99% certain that Kparted will now find the disk and its win7 partitions correctly during the install process.

Please post back with what you decide to do. Good luck!!
RonnyS

Post by RonnyS »

arjay,

what I had forgotten is that I had originally installed Mageia. then found it to be lacking in many areas and later installed Mint XFCE over the top by selecting to replace the
current distro. So, I think those extra partitions came from this transition.

I really appreciate all your information and help! But I think at this point, I am convincing myself to do a total wipe of the HDD and re-install win7 and then Mint LMDE KDE Debian.

The way I look at linux anymore is that I feel the OS should be ready to use with very little issues and for the average "Joe", should not have to be consistently working on it in
order to accomplish his/her daily tasks.

I used to sit and mess with linux and learned to rebuild the kernel and various other topics back in 2000. But I had decided in 02 that that was no longer an interest of mine. Now,
I have forgotten most of what I had learned back then. The main reason I try to use linux is simply for security and privacy purposes. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with this all.

Also, I know that this version is not ready for the majority, but I really think Mint as a whole should get off the Ubuntu path and travel the direct Debian route as I feel the direct
Debian (if you will) is MUCH more reliable and Ubuntu to me is way over-rated and has several issues that no one seems to be correcting.

Again, thanks for your insight!
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

RonnyS wrote:arjay,

I really appreciate all your information and help! But I think at this point, I am convincing myself to do a total wipe of the HDD and re-install win7 and then Mint LMDE KDE Debian.
In that case you could short-circuit a lot of the extra work by deleting all the linux partitions, then installing LMDE KDE as per the second suggestion in my earlier post. This would save you all the hassle of reinstalling Win7. If you boot the LMDE DVD and use fdisk to delete the linux partitions and reboot with the dvd again, I am almost certain that your windows partitions will show up in KParted and could then install LMDE in new Linux partitions from there.

If Kparted still doesn't show the partition table properly then you haven't lost much time and no data. Even if you end up going the whole hog and installing win7 again etc you will have to go through the process in Kparted of deleting the linux partitions and creating new ones anyway (otherwise you might endu p with the same problems!) But I don't think your current win7 partitions have anything to do with KParted not seeing the drive etc. It is the linux ones that are the problem.
Also, I know that this version is not ready for the majority, but I really think Mint as a whole should get off the Ubuntu path and travel the direct Debian route as I feel the direct Debian (if you will) is MUCH more reliable and Ubuntu to me is way over-rated and has several issues that no one seems to be correcting.

Couldn't agree more. I am running LMDE KDE up5 on three very different PCs and it is running without a hitch
Again, thanks for your insight!

No worries - ask away if you have any further questions.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Schoelje,

Not satisfied at my "no sound" system, i decided to reboot again with Debian KDE live (cd) to double check if i had any sound to begin with.
Confirmed: no sound even from live cd.

So, next question.
If i test LMDE and there's some sound,
can i install your KDE from there?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

DaComboMan wrote:If i test LMDE and there's some sound,
can i install your KDE from there?
I'm sorry, as long as LMDE KDE is not official it won't be the same (there are no meta-packages). You can, of course, install KDE when you're running LMDE

sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop kdm
and you can install the packages I made which you can download here: http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages

My early steps to LMDE KDE could give you some hints on how to do it (and understand the time and effort you'll have to invest):
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=103839

If LMDE works with your soundcard, I'd like to know that: LMDE KDE is based on LMDE and should act the same with your hardware.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Just to keep up with development, I did a new install using lmdekde32_up5sr2_201210.iso. Everything went well. The pae kernel was correctly chosen as the default with the 486 kernel listed as a second option in the Grub menu. Everything in the system seems to be working properly, and all of the additional apps that I normally install (Google Earth, Dropbox, etc.) run smoothly. Very nice job.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Chat about Linux”