The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:before fstab is executed or else I'll have problems cifs mounting my NAS.
ohh, now about this i know zero :roll:
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

BostonPeng wrote:Um, no. I must have missed that configuring them in a file is a preferred way to do it. NM has always worked for me in LMDE.
Configuring in the interfaces file is not the preferred way. I needed to have a wireless connection at boot time before fstab was executed. Without it I have serious problems mounting and unmounting my NAS. I'm going to follow on zerozero's suggestion tomorrow.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:Um, no. I must have missed that configuring them in a file is a preferred way to do it. NM has always worked for me in LMDE.
Configuring in the interfaces file is not the preferred way. I needed to have a wireless connection at boot time before fstab was executed. Without it I have serious problems mounting and unmounting my NAS. I'm going to follow on zerozero's suggestion tomorrow.
Dawn breaks on marble head. Now I see why you have something so different from what I use.
zerozero wrote:
Schoelje wrote:before fstab is executed or else I'll have problems cifs mounting my NAS.
ohh, now about this i know zero :roll:
Zero's the guru on this so I'll just let him take care of it. 8)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Unfortunately, zerozero's suggestion to set the System connection check box in NM did not create a connection at boot time.
This resulted in the, for me now, very well known error:

Code: Select all

Nov  1 07:39:48 lmdekde kernel: [   15.760610] FS-Cache: Loaded
Nov  1 07:39:48 lmdekde kernel: [   15.780908] FS-Cache: Netfs 'cifs' registered for caching
Nov  1 07:39:48 lmdekde kernel: [   15.815815] CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation
Nov  1 07:39:48 lmdekde kernel: [   15.816093] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -101
Nov  1 07:39:48 lmdekde kernel: [   15.825831] CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation
Nov  1 07:39:48 lmdekde kernel: [   15.826419] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -101
That's why configuring the wireless connection in the interfaces file is necessary.

The System connection setting in NM seems to only save your settings safely, because you need to provide your password before you can change the connection's settings.

Bummer... :(
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this exact error message CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -101 leads me here first http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu ... post841865 (it's the one i can understand easier) but also here http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57579 (advises the opposite)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:this exact error message CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -101 leads me here first http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu ... post841865 (it's the one i can understand easier) but also here http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57579 (advises the opposite)
The first one describes my situation: cifs mount while there is no network available (that's why I needed to create the wireless connection at boot up in the interfaces file).
The second one has the same error message for a different reason: spaces in the path to mount.

Unfortunately, I had to purge NM and install Wicd. For most people that is no problem, but for me, as the maintainer of LMDE KDE, it is. My system setup is now different from LMDE KDE.
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

I'm trying to install LMDE KDE UP5 on my old EEE PC 701 (I'm experimenting!), but it keeps stalling when installing ktorrent.mo.

I've tried downloading the ISO several times, so it can't be a corrupt ISO file. Tried booting both normal and compatibility modes too.

Any ideas?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

ronnietucker wrote:I'm trying to install LMDE KDE UP5 on my old EEE PC 701 (I'm experimenting!), but it keeps stalling when installing ktorrent.mo.

I've tried downloading the ISO several times, so it can't be a corrupt ISO file. Tried booting both normal and compatibility modes too.

Any ideas?
Hi, Ronnie! Glad to see you in this part of the Linux universe. Thinking about reviewing our favorite flavor of Linux for FCM? 8)
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

BostonPeng wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:I'm trying to install LMDE KDE UP5 on my old EEE PC 701 (I'm experimenting!), but it keeps stalling when installing ktorrent.mo.

Any ideas?
Hi, Ronnie! Glad to see you in this part of the Linux universe. Thinking about reviewing our favorite flavor of Linux for FCM? 8)
If I can get it working on my EEE, yes. :D

I've got an article on Ubuntu 12.10 on the EEE and I'd like to add some KDE flavour to it and since Kubuntu 12.10 (which I admit, I use on my desktop) doesn't boot on non-PAE machines, I thought I'd try installing LMDE KDE on my old EEE and add it to the Ubuntu on the EEE article. :)
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

That would rock, Ronnie. I really think the KDE variant of LMDE's going to really take off one of these days.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Any ideas?
I had something like that a while ago. It seemed that I had some corrupted sectors on my HD.
Did you try installing on another partition or even another drive?
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:

Any ideas?
I had something like that a while ago. It seemed that I had some corrupted sectors on my HD.
Did you try installing on another partition or even another drive?
I've not tried installing LMDE KDE onto another drive/partition, no. I've only got the 4GB drive that's in the EEE. I just recently updated the Lubuntu that was on there, so the drive should (in theory) be OK. :?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i believe that the issue here is lack of space in the hdd: 4GB is short to install lmde-kde, i think. (i just check my VM with a vanilla install and the .vdi is 4.9GB)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:i believe that the issue here is lack of space in the hdd: 4GB is short to install lmde-kde, i think. (i just check my VM with a vanilla install and the .vdi is 4.9GB)
Yes, I've got these:
  • LM XFCE/Mate 32 = 3.4G
  • LMDE 32 = 4.4G
  • LMDE KDE 32 = 5G
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

zerozero wrote:i believe that the issue here is lack of space in the hdd: 4GB is short to install lmde-kde, i think. (i just check my VM with a vanilla install and the .vdi is 4.9GB)
Sweet Jesus. That's a LOT! But would certainly explain things. :lol:

Is there an easy way to do a custom install? That way I could not install the things I don't need (eg: K3B, Office, etc.)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ronnietucker wrote:Is there an easy way to do a custom install? That way I could not install the things I don't need (eg: K3B, Office, etc.)
I'm sorry, Live Installer is not able (yet) to customize your installation.
Don't you have an external HD somewhere lying about?
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE: updates??

Post by arjay »

Schoelje

Just a quick question - what happens, now, about updates to up5? I'm thinking about the kernel, KDE etc. Do we have to wait for up6 or what. [I am running up5 on a test PC so it doesn't matter if I bork it?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:Schoelje

Just a quick question - what happens, now, about updates to up5? I'm thinking about the kernel, KDE etc. Do we have to wait for up6 or what. [I am running up5 on a test PC so it doesn't matter if I bork it?
UP5 was quite a large update that included upgrading the kernel and KDE. Clem told me he was working on UP6 which he, if I remember well, is going to use for the next LMDE iso, later this year. I can't give you any guarantees regarding updates, but I can't tell you what'll happen if you upgrade from UP4 to UP6. Usually you increase risk of failure with each upgrade you skip.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote:
arjay wrote:Schoelje

UP5 was quite a large update that included upgrading the kernel and KDE. Clem told me he was working on UP6 which he, if I remember well, is going to use for the next LMDE iso, later this year. I can't give you any guarantees regarding updates, but I can't tell you what'll happen if you upgrade from UP4 to UP6. Usually you increase risk of failure with each upgrade you skip.

I currently run up5. I was thinking more if I just wanted, for example, to update/upgrade kde to 4.9.2 from 4.8.4 - or something like that?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:I currently run up5. I was thinking more if I just wanted, for example, to update/upgrade kde to 4.9.2 from 4.8.4 - or something like that?
I don't know whether that's going to be part of UP6 or not, but I don't see why you wouldn't upgrade to 4.9...and post your findings in the LMDE KDE thread, of couse ;)

Btw: Why is this thread (LMDE: updates??) part of the thread "LMDE: Logitech headset no sound?"

Return to “Chat about Linux”