The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by Schoelje »

I'm now working on the next LMDE KDE iso's, and there will be some changes:
  1. Rework of DDM (Device Driver Manager), DPM (Debian Plymouth Manager) and the Welcome Screen (relies heavily on DDM and needed to change).
  2. The 64-bit version is now multi-arch
  3. Playonlinux and Wine pre-installed
  4. UP6 obviously
ad 1. Plymouth is now using drm (like it should) instead of uvesafb (which caused DDM to crash if you wanted to install graphics drivers). I wish there could be more testing on it, but the thread is not getting enough attention :wink: : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=120073
Also, DDM needs more testing. Especially for ATI and Broadcom: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559

ad 3. I wish to differentiate between the unofficial LMDE KDE and the unofficial LMDE Xfce. That's why the first is going to have all the bells and whistles (I remember it was an old wish of you people to include Playonlinux and Wine) while the second is going to be lean and mean.

I'll post a RC as soon as I can, and when that's done, I'll start working on the unofficial LMDE Xfce.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I'm sorry I haven't been able to test more for you but it looks like yo have folks testing the important things. I like the idea of making a difference between LMDE KDE and the Xfce version. As much as I'd like to see LMDE KDE become an official CE respin I think it's a better idea to keep going the way you are so you can have more flexibility to make it the way you'd want the ISO to be rather than having to jump through hoops to get it to fit better with the official releases. I join the others in saying LMDE KDE is what I wish the official Mint KDE release was but after seeing the tweaks and changes you've had to deal with to try to get DDM and the welcome screen work better with the main LMDE release I'm actually kind of glad Clem didn't give it his blessing. He and the team have a lot on their plates as it is, and trying to get LMDE KDE fit better with them seems like a lot more work than it may really need.

I'm grabbing UP6 now so if there's anything I can test for you on my laptop (running PAE) just let me know and I'll see how they play on my laptop.

Have a very merry Christmas! Thanks for the awesome gift of LMDE KDE. It's been one of my favorite pressies I've gotten all year. 8)
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

I had a horrible update experience last night/today.

I left it downloading the 600+ updates that showed up and went to bed. This morning it was almost done installing, but had stopped at a question (which I had to answer). Did that, left for work, came back this evening and thought I'd better reboot just to keep things nice.

Bad move! :shock:

My system rebooted to a KDE login prompt. No GUI login. Uh oh! I then tried the previous version listed in the boot menu. That gave me a GUI login, but after that no display at all.

Reinstalled Kubuntu 12.10 for the moment to get me through the festive period. I'll install LMDE KDE when the next ISO's appear. :)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ronnietucker wrote:My system rebooted to a KDE login prompt. No GUI login. Uh oh! I then tried the previous version listed in the boot menu. That gave me a GUI login, but after that no display at all.
For others that want to prevent the experience of installing "the other" OS :wink: :

Code: Select all

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Reboot, and install your graphics card drivers.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:My system rebooted to a KDE login prompt. No GUI login. Uh oh! I then tried the previous version listed in the boot menu. That gave me a GUI login, but after that no display at all.
For others that want to prevent the experience of installing "the other" OS :wink: :

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
I wish I had seen this yesterday. As the updates were getting installed I must have lowered the lid of my laptop a little too far, despite telling KDE to ignore when the lid closes, because my laptop locked up and I had to pull the plug to get control back. I was able to finish the installs but I was stuck at the terminal login prompt as well. I lost count of how many different ways I tried to get to the GUI but I was able to refer to my previous note about getting the nvidia drivers reinstalled, then I was able to use DDM to get the PAE kernel installed, after which I was able to get DDM to let me install the updated drivers. The good news is that once I got the PAE kernel installed I could boot into it and stop having to use older kernels just to be able to get things done.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I've got a brain teaser for you:
After having changed the Plymouth settings from using uvesafb to drm, I built a new iso.
When running live from usb, I see the plymouth theme in all its glory.
When running live in Virtualbox, however, I get this:
I tried everything but Virtualbox and drm don't like each other very much.
I even tried the default text theme of LM...same result.
Of course, after installing, the Plymouth theme shows exactly as it should.

Any ideas?
If not, I will have to start the live session without Plymouth and configure the theme when the user installs LMDE KDE on his system :evil:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I believe that that's VirtualBox specific, but I don't have an answer to why. I believe that it has something to do with the Guest Additions loading at different times, but I'm not sure.
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Ah, but the only problem being that I couldn't get a desktop/browser loaded to find this answer! :D

It's maybe something folks should be told prior to the upgrade, or have the command automatically run on reboot (or something similar)?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ronnietucker wrote:Ah, but the only problem being that I couldn't get a desktop/browser loaded to find this answer! :D
I hate that when that happens!
ronnietucker wrote:It's maybe something folks should be told prior to the upgrade, or have the command automatically run on reboot (or something similar)?
Unfortunately, the upgrade process lies far outside my sphere of influence. Perhaps it could be achieved by applications like the Update Manager, but if you upgrade by terminal or any other program, there is no way of configuring X with proprietary drivers after a kernel upgrade :cry:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I finally sat down to take some desktop screenshots of my holiday desktop for the desktop screenie thread and I tried to run the welcome screen but nothing happened. I grabbed Yakuake and tried to launch it from there and got this:

$  welcome-screen 
DEBUG     Startup command: python /usr/lib/welcome-screen/ws.py
DEBUG     Command to execute: cat /etc/*-release | grep DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/welcome-screen/ws.py", line 292, in <module>
    app.main()
  File "/usr/lib/welcome-screen/ws.py", line 259, in main
    self.fillProject()                                                                                        
  File "/usr/lib/welcome-screen/ws.py", line 128, in fillProject                                              
    if functions.strToInt(opt[1]) > 0:                                                                        
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'strToInt'                                                   
$ 
Here's the policy info on the package

$  policy welcome-screen
welcome-screen:
  Installed: 0.1.0
  Candidate: 0.1.0
  Version table:
 *** 0.1.0 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
I suspect something went pear-shaped with the upgrade to UP6 this week.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

BostonPeng wrote:I suspect something went pear-shaped with the upgrade to UP6 this week.
I don't think it's that.
If you installed the alpha version of DDM, the old Welcome Screen will crash: it uses DDM's libraries and those have changed dramatically.

To have a working Welcome Screen:

sudo apt-get purge welcome-screen
wget -c http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages/sws_0.5.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i sws_0.5.0_all.deb
After you reboot, you will be the first person (after me, obviously) to marvel at the new Welcome Screen.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

It turns out I hadn't snagged the current version of DDM so I had to install that first. Beyond that, I cheated and ran sws without a reboot to get a screenshot with it. Shiny!
Once I get the article written for my site I'll post all the shots to the desktop theme thread.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

A Christmas theme! :D
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Yep. The wallpaper is the Christmas card I got from Zombie Attack Kitty on Facebook. I've got all the deets on my system on my site, including a link to ZAK.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

I'm jealous. My icons need hats.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

mockturtl wrote:I'm jealous. My icons need hats.
You're in luck. As I post on my site you can get them here.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

A tradition! :lol: I love it.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Gentlemen,

I just uploaded UP6 RC1.
This is for testing purposes only, so please, do not use this as your working system because it's very likely to change.
DDM and DPM are a work in progress and even now I'm in the process of adapting these packages.

http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde32_up6rc1_201212.iso
md5sum: 3966094bef9327e82d043bab14fce70c
size: 1.5G

http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde64_up6rc1_201212.iso
md5sum: d87aaeb1ab07e85ee453f5fb108b7ace
size: 1.4G

Please post your findings in the appropriate threads.
DDM: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559
DPM: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=120073
And the rest here
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Schoelje wrote:Gentlemen,

I just uploaded UP6 RC1.
This is for testing purposes only,
[...]
http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde64_up6rc1_201212.iso
md5sum: d87aaeb1ab07e85ee453f5fb108b7ace
[...]
First download try. MD5 Not even close.... :lol:

Actual download 768MB ... :shock:

Trying again.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i started the d/l now (let's see if i have better luck than Gene :lol: )

Return to “Chat about Linux”