The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dcihon

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by dcihon »

I have 2 KDE-LMDE Issues.
One I have an ATI Card In my laptop.
The ATI Display Manager lets me set up a dual display fine but it doesn't keep the settings.
While I am in the middle of using it , It randomly disables one of the displays , re enables one of the display, goes back to clone , seems to do whatever it wants to do.
It doesn't do this with XFCE. I am at a loss. I will give computer specs if needed.
Just curious if anyone else has seen this behavior.
I would also like to use qtk-config but the instructions aren't detailed enough for me to get it installed.
Thanks for the help
Dan
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

dcihon wrote:I have 2 KDE-LMDE Issues.
The ATI Display Manager lets me set up a dual display fine but it doesn't keep the settings.
While I am in the middle of using it , It randomly disables one of the displays , re enables one of the display, goes back to clone , seems to do whatever it wants to do.
It doesn't do this with XFCE. I am at a loss. I will give computer specs if needed.
I would also like to use qtk-config but the instructions aren't detailed enough for me to get it installed.
Thanks for the help
Dan
This sounds like a driver issue and because I don't have an ATI system here, I cannot test your issue.
So maybe post this on a more general ATI thread (more people, more chance that somebody had the same issue)?

I found that gtk-config is neither in the Debian as the Ubuntu (Precise) repositories.
Is there any particular reason why you can't use the GTK+ Appearance in System Settings?
I vaguely remember BostonPeng having written something about it, but I can be mistaken.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:
dcihon wrote:I have 2 KDE-LMDE Issues.
Thanks for the help
Dan
This sounds like a driver issue and because I don't have an ATI system here, I cannot test your issue.
So maybe post this on a more general ATI thread (more people, more chance that somebody had the same issue)?

I found that gtk-config is neither in the Debian as the Ubuntu (Precise) repositories.
Is there any particular reason why you can't use the GTK+ Appearance in System Settings?
I vaguely remember BostonPeng having written something about it, but I can be mistaken.
@dcihon:
I wrote an article about installing the KDE-GTK configuration tool for my site: [HOWTO] Hate the ugly way GTK apps look in KDE? Add KDE-GTK Configuration to System Settings. I hope it can help you.
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Got my problems resolved.
The ATI issue was my power settings. Seems that when my screen would go into powersave mode ATI would not come back configured correctly.
So I turned off the setting. Screen can stay on all the time I don't care.
Got the gtk-config tool installed. Helps to read the readme.
Reminds me of what someone told me many years ago. "Basic Reading Required".
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Don't you love when that happens, dcihon? I do the same thing sometimes. myself.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

dcihon wrote: "Basic Reading Required".
RT(Fine)M in unix slang :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

DaComboMan no-sound adventures :oops: are here >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=115927
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

Schoelje, maybe this is not really relevant (because i'm using UP4 iso to install and debian testing repo), but somehow, by default, there's no LinuxMint.info and LinuxMint.mirrors on my /usr/share/python-apt/templates/. Without that 2 files, I cant run software-properties-kde on my system.

I've download the UP5SR2 iso, but it just hard to install a new ISO if my current system is really great .. :D
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

lahirdenganselamat wrote:Schoelje, maybe this is not really relevant (because i'm using UP4 iso to install and debian testing repo), but somehow, by default, there's no LinuxMint.info and LinuxMint.mirrors on my /usr/share/python-apt/templates/. Without that 2 files, I cant run software-properties-kde on my system.

I've download the UP5SR2 iso, but it just hard to install a new ISO if my current system is really great .. :D

You know you can use the script I provided at the start of this thread to upgrade your system?
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages ... p5-upgrade

The files you mentioned are part of mintupdate-debian. Do you have the latest installed?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I think I did it again: I've asked a difficult question (or put it in the wrong forum):
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=115910

Is there anyone with Network Manager and managing existing wireless connections?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

/me slowly raises his hand while checking thins onscreen

I use NM to manage wireless connections, even switching wifi servers as needed. What can I help with?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

If you check the description in the thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=115910
But in short:
How do you get NM to manage existing wireless connections (started at boot time) without freezing the plasma desktop.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i guess i'm not getting the problem (happens a lot :lol: )
- i only have wireless, connection is made automatically at boot

Code: Select all

zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ sudo iwconfig
[sudo] password for zerozero: 
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth1      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"SKY02786"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:1E:2A:20:A2:02   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=48/70  Signal level=-62 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:949   Missed beacon:0

zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ 
here in this system i never touched /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (did it in debian proper lxde/xfce but there i don't have networkmanager, i'm using wicd)

zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback                                                                                                                                                   

# The primary network interface                                                                                                                                          
allow-hotplug eth0                                                                                                                                                       
iface eth0 inet dhcp                                                                                                                                                     
zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf                                                                                                         
[main]                                                                                                                                                                   
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I haven't noticed this (mis-)behavior on my system, and I've even changed wifi connections (servers) in the middle of sessions without a problem. This is on my Lenovo T61 with Intel's PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (according to KInfocenter).

$  sudo apt policy network-manager
network-manager:
  Installed: 0.9.4.0-5
  Candidate: 0.9.4.0-5
  Version table:
 *** 0.9.4.0-5 0
        500 http://lmde-mirror.gwendallebihan.net/incoming/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
If there's anything I can try to see what happens on my end I'd be happy to give it a go.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I needed to connect to my wireless during boot.
So that's handled by the interfaces file.
That works perfectly.

Normally, NM handles connections after you login.
Now, after I login, there is already a wireless connection.

NM, by default, does not handle existing connections. That's why it doesn't show anything after login.
To let NM manage the existing connection you need to modify the NetworkManager.conf file as I did.

But that modification prevents plasma desktop to load: it freezes when the NM widget loads (on LMDE KDE 64-bit, that is).

When I change the NetworkManager.conf file back to the default, the widget and plasma desktop load normally but then the widget does not show the existing wireless connection.

Is this better/clearer?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Hopefully ZZ can help because I've got nothing. I do notice that when the KDE desktop first appears I can see visually that I have a wireless connection, and due to how I have my system set up I get confirmation that I'm logged into the Starbucks wifi once things settle down a bit but I'm not seeing if I get what you show or not. Sorry about that.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

BostonPeng wrote:Hopefully ZZ can help because I've got nothing. I do notice that when the KDE desktop first appears I can see visually that I have a wireless connection, and due to how I have my system set up I get confirmation that I'm logged into the Starbucks wifi once things settle down a bit but I'm not seeing if I get what you show or not. Sorry about that.
And you have your wireless connection configured in the interfaces file (not in NM)?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ok, first of all, tks much for raising this issue Schoelje, because i had a sub-optimal setting in my system and now i could correct it tks to you :D

lmde-kde 64 tracking testing
before i only had connect automatically ticked and this meant that in tty i had no net (would be a disaster if something would break)
now that i also ticked system connection i have net before X loads; my quick test was reboot to kdm and switch to console login and do an apt update in tty (worked, and just before i made this change it didn't)
hope this helps
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:now that i also ticked system connection i have net before X loads; my quick test was reboot to kdm and switch to console login and do an apt update in tty (worked, and just before i made this change it didn't)
hope this helps
I hope this creates the wireless connection before fstab is executed or else I'll have problems cifs mounting my NAS.
I'm going to check that out tomorrow.
Thanks again, zerozero.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:Hopefully ZZ can help because I've got nothing. I do notice that when the KDE desktop first appears I can see visually that I have a wireless connection, and due to how I have my system set up I get confirmation that I'm logged into the Starbucks wifi once things settle down a bit but I'm not seeing if I get what you show or not. Sorry about that.
And you have your wireless connection configured in the interfaces file (not in NM)?
Um, no. I must have missed that configuring them in a file is a preferred way to do it. NM has always worked for me in LMDE.

Return to “Chat about Linux”