The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BostonPeng

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5

Post by BostonPeng »

pixelfields wrote:Hi all,
I was running UP4 and today I've updated to UP5 with script in this post. Everything seems ok, except one thing. The oxygen styles in my GTK applications (f.e. thunderbird, firefox, gimp, and new DDM) disappeared, and I have a pure GTK look in them. I would like to ask more experienced users of KDE, how I can solve it and put the styles back.

P.S. Schoelje, if you still looking for translators, I can help you with Czech and Russian language.

Regards.

pixelfields
You may want to check out the KDE-GTK configuration tool. I found it really handy for the task. They have DEB's available (I don't recommend them for LMDE KDE) but if you want to build it form source I wrote a tutorial on building it.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

It seems there are some issues with the slideshow that cannot be easily solved (and I'm talking about the technical aspects, not semantics). My first priority is to make an iso available without these issues and that means two things:
  1. Build and make new isos available without a slideshow for Live Installer.
  2. Rethink the best approach to realize a slideshow that is a low tech solution and easily maintainable (thinking translations)
It's a pity Clem couldn't remember why he left out an already developed slideshow for Live Installer...well, now we know: it doesn't work for everybody and it's an unstable solution.

So, wait with downloading the iso until I have built new ones or run the workaround I mentioned in the download section.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ok :cry: switching off transmission
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Killed the get in Ktorrent and the downloaded data. I look forward to starting it up again.

I'm not going to pull my article but I will add a very clear notification that the ISO'd been pulled temporarily and people should wait to download it until the all clear has been given.
pixelfields

Post by pixelfields »

Thanks, BostonPeng, for quick replay.
I solved the problem by this way: I installed qtcurve and lxappearance packages, which I missed after update, and ran lxappearance to set look of GTK apps.

Thanks again.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Glad you got it working pixel. I didn't think to go with qtcurve but lxappearance is an LXDE app so I'm not sure how well it will play with LMDE KDE. I'm sure someone smarter than me will pop in and say it's ok but it wouldn't be my first thought.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Oh, thank goodness mine was not one of the computers having trouble with the slideshow. I'm still happily running my new installation, and ya can't have it back. :P
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

New isos available

You can download the new isos.
Torrent only for now because my upload speed is abominable.

I simply commented out the code that runs the slideshow.
The first isos can still be used with the given workaround.

I'll stop seeding the previous isos if there's nobody left downloading them.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

8) getting it again
tdockery97 wrote:and ya can't have it back. :P
:lol: :lol:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Restarted Ktorrent (32-bit, from the beginning) and I removed the warning from my article. Thanks for fixing it so quickly, Schoelje!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I tried out the newly included Plymouth Manager and was easily able to reset Plymouth to my native 1366x768 resolution. If you haven't already done so, you might suggest to Clem that he include it in the next respins of LMDE UP5.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

tdockery97 wrote:I tried out the newly included Plymouth Manager and was easily able to reset Plymouth to my native 1366x768 resolution. If you haven't already done so, you might suggest to Clem that he include it in the next respins of LMDE UP5.
I haven't because LMDE and LMDE KDE have chosen different configurations regarding Plymouth.
It would mean that LMDE would have to follow the LMDE KDE way and I think that at this moment DPM has not been sufficiently tested yet to make that decision.

But I'm very glad it works for you and I wouldn't mind you recommend it to Clem :D
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Okay, I switched to seeding the new torrent.
Schoelje wrote:New isos available

You can download the new isos.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Do we need to get a new torrent file?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Yes, you have to get the new torrent files.
You can find the links in the download section at the beginning of this thread.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

That's what I thought. I'll make it clear on my article since someone else is looking to snag it.
myrmidon

Post by myrmidon »

Hello all,

I had grabbed the original torrent and did an install tonight.

What I noticed was that after doing a ctr-alt-f1 was that root login is possible. Is this intentional? If not desired, the fix is easy.
AFTER VERIFYING that sudo works correctly:

Code: Select all

sudo passwd -l root
Root is then disabled with a locked password and su will effectively do nothing.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forum myrmidon,

As far as I know, but correct me if I'm wrong, root is enabled on all Linux Mint distributions.
At least, it's not something I intentionally enabled when I created LMDE KDE from the regular LMDE.
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Thank you for the reply.

-Since having started the DDM to double check what it said, the welcome screen appears every time I login, ignoring my having unchecked the "start every time" option.
-Sometimes when I change a color scheme, plasma reverts to what may be a default system color scheme instead.

Grabbed the corrected UP5 and will seed it as possible.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

pixelfields wrote:Hi all,
I was running UP4 and today I've updated to UP5 with script in this post. Everything seems ok, except one thing. The oxygen styles in my GTK applications (f.e. thunderbird, firefox, gimp, and new DDM) disappeared, and I have a pure GTK look in them. I would like to ask more experienced users of KDE, how I can solve it and put the styles back.

P.S. Schoelje, if you still looking for translators, I can help you with Czech and Russian language.

Regards.

pixelfields
Under System Settings > Application Appearance should be "GTK+ Appearance." There you should have the option for oxygen-gtk. This should make GTK apps resemble KDE's default Oxygen style. Another option you may want is QTCurve. QTCurve is highly customizable and can style both KDE and GTK styles alike. Search for it in the package manager. Then QTCurve settings for KDE will be under Style and there will be a QTCurve option added to GTK+ Appearance. The GTK apps will then look however you configure QTCurve (in Style) to look. QTCurve includes some pre-made styles and more are available for example at kde-look.org.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc

Return to “Chat about Linux”