The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5

Post by Schoelje »

cbrunos wrote:Hi all,
I am new to LMDE and had some questions.
-My computer has a Nvidia GPU, will I need to re-install the drivers every time I update the kernel, or is this automatically taken care of?
-How is the update process in LMDE? Is it like Arch, where there are continuous updates, or is more like every six months or so the users get large updates at once (if I understand correctly, it's a bit of the two? Continuous security updates and massive updates to applications, like getting KDE 4.9.x every six months or so)?
First of all, welcome to the Linux Mint forum.
To answer your questions:
  • I'm sorry to say that the Nvidia drivers need to be re-installed every time you update the kernel.
  • The Linux Mint team has chosen for stability and regulated upgrades (Upgrade Pack or UP) where the upgrade is thoroughly tested before the users can upgrade their systems. This means that upgrades come in (sometimes large) batches.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Schoelje wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:Here's what I have right now. I haven't expanded the number of slides but I did add a little to them. Feel free to roll back any changes I made.
Perfect! Just changed a minor typo and I'm testing it now...looks good.

Could you please add another subject: compatibility with MS Office?
I feel that is an import subject for people coming from Windows (like I was not so long ago).

Feel free to add more subjects if you like (you or anyone else reading this).
Now I just need it translated:
Dutch, I can do.
I think Spanish, French and German to start with...any volunteers?
I don't think I want to ask where I left in a typo. :roll: Here's one for MSO compatibility. I snagged the source files for the Kubuntu install slide show so I used that as a basis. If there are others you'l like me to import just let me know.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote: Valid point. Sorry arjay, if you can't top that, I'll leave both kernels listed ;)
Sure - go ahead with bot, but my plea would be that they are easily differentiated in the Grub menu so people can at least see the point of having both

Good job mate, hats off to you
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:Sure - go ahead with bot, but my plea would be that they are easily differentiated in the Grub menu so people can at least see the point of having both
Do you know of an intelligent way to do this?
I could directly edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg but after the first update-grub, the changes will be gone.

I'll probably have to write a bash script in /etc/grub.d that would check whether or not both 486 and PAE are installed and then edit the menu entries in grub.cfg.
This can be rather complicated to code and it could potentially ruin grub.cfg, rendering grub unusable and the system unbootable...

You see, I'm very hesitant to do that...what to do? :?:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Not the solution you are seeking, I am sure... :wink:

But, including 'Grub Customizer' would allow turning on/off whatever users like.

https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/grub-cus ... eased.html

(this is the older Grub-customizer 2.5.4)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

but the entries are fairly distinguishable in grub already
3.2.0-3-686-pae (on /dev/sda3)
3.2.0-3-686-pae (recovery...)
3.2.0-3-486 (on /dev/sda3)
(sorry for the lousy photo quality)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Well, here it is: the 32-bit version with 486 and PAE kernel.
There's just a small issue: I only could test the PAE part, so if someone could test it on a 486 machine, that would be great.

To see debug output, run this in terminal:

Code: Select all

kdesudo live-installer
Download: http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde3 ... 201210.iso
md5sum: e284e78a72763e7f40a8d42880e263bc
Last edited by Schoelje on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbrunos

Post by cbrunos »

Schoelje wrote:First of all, welcome to the Linux Mint forum.
  • I'm sorry to say that the Nvidia drivers need to be re-installed every time you update the kernel.
  • The Linux Mint team has chosen for stability and regulated upgrades (Upgrade Pack or UP) where the upgrade is thoroughly tested before the users can upgrade their systems. This means that upgrades come in (sometimes large) batches.
Thank you for your answer. Concerning 2) does this mean that apart from the UPs there are no other updates at all?
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

cbrunos wrote:
Schoelje wrote:First of all, welcome to the Linux Mint forum.
Thank you for your answer. Concerning 2) does this mean that apart from the UPs there are no other updates at all?
Though not frequent, there are / may be updates between UPs. An "Update Manager" is included which automatically checks at whatever intervals you want (I set it to check once a day) and will display if there are any non-UP updates.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje

The photo above by zerozero does seem to distinguish OK between the pae and 486 kernel. Given that, I reckon you should leave well alone. You have enough to do as it is. If the install automatically selects and installs the right kernel for the given hardware and lists as per zerozero's listing - that has got to be good....
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:The photo above by zerozero does seem to distinguish OK between the pae and 486 kernel. Given that, I reckon you should leave well alone. You have enough to do as it is. If the install automatically selects and installs the right kernel for the given hardware and lists as per zerozero's listing - that has got to be good....
Indeed, interfering with grub configuration is not something I'd be happy to do. With the new Live Installer, DDM, DPM (the Plymouth manager), the new Welcome Screen and meddling with Mint Debian Mirrors (not to mention the numerous changes I had to make to get LMDE KDE to what it is today) I've been introducing quite some new risks of failure...let's not tempt fate (to much) ;)
Schoelje

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by Schoelje »

I've uploaded both 32 and 64-bit of SR2: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=113571

Next weekend will be dedicated to testing DDM on the regular (Ubuntu based) Linux Mint and I might ask you to help me with that...not enough hardware to test it with ;)

[EDIT]
I made the files directory of my site browsable, so you can easily check out the latest iso's and packages:
http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Does anyone know the best way to find out what distribution (debian or ubuntu) you're running?
Currently I'm using these, where regular LM (=ubuntu) doesn't return anything at all:

cat /etc/*-release | grep ^ID
cat /etc/*-release | grep DISTRIB_CODENAME
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje

Tested rc2 by installing twice - first time with my Win XP hard disk disconnected to ensure the main install disk shows up as sda. The second time I reconnected the 2nd drive so that the install disk showed up as sdb. In both cases I was unable to reproduce the earlier error whereby Grub did not detect all the partitions on the LMDE disk (see an earlier post). So, unless someone else reports this problem, I'd forget it for now.

Overall, the install went as smooth as silk. There are, however, still a few things you need to look at.

1. As usual I installed from the Live DVD to freshly formatted partitions (ext4).

2. I noticed that the Spanish for "Edit Partitions" has now changed to English - excellent.

3. However, there is a problem with the text under the box "Your Full Name". It is unreadable and is just a line of mainly blurred black pixels. Not sure what it is supposed to say but it is unreadable:
snapshot1.png
FYI my monitor was running at 1024x768 at the time (now set up to it's proper res of 1280x1024). Text entry for the boxes was OK. My bad this, as it actually showed up like this on all the previous isos. I somehow forgot to mention it when there were more important issues.

Slideshow:

This looks and reads great - kudos to BostonPeng. Couple of small things:

Slide 1 just a small typo - I think "as similar as possible as the main edition" should read "as similar as possible to the main edition.

Slide 4 (I think). There needs to be a space between the title "Office tools are ready to use as soon as....." and the bullets underneath.

I notice the slide that mentioned the likely install time seems to have gone? I think giving the user an estimate of the likely install time (15-30 minutes is pretty accurate) is a good idea - but I can't remember what else was on it - not vital.

Grub Menu

After the first reboot, the Grub Menu did display all the partitions on both hard disks. If I was to be picky, they were not in the right order - Win XP (/sda) was listed in the between Mint LMDE (pae and recovery) both in /sdb5 and Mint 13 Maya in /sdb1. Not really a big deal.

Also - accepting earlier points about leaving Grub alone, it is still a bit confusing if you have Mint 13 and Mint LMDE on the same disk. Because the letters LMDE don't actually appear anywhere in the kernel name and the the MInt kernel name doesn't say Mint 13 or Mint 13 Maya!

I can't find a way to cut and paste the actual menu as it appears but there are TEN LinuxMint entries in mine - all very similar. Something like this:

LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-686-pae [Note does not show partition (/sdb5)]
LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-686-pae (recovery) [Note does not show partition (/sdb5)]
LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-486 [Note does not show partition (/sdb5)]
LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-486 (recovery) [Note does not show partition (/sdb5)]
Microsoft Windows XP (/sda1)
LinuxMint, with Linux 3.2.0-3-generic (/sdb1)
LinuxMint, with Linux 3.2.0-3-generic (recovery) (/sdb1)
LinuxMint, with Linux 3.2.0-?previous-kernel-number?-generic (/sdb1)
LinuxMint, with Linux 3.2.0-?previous-kernel-number?-generic (recovery) (/sdb1)
LinuxMint, with Linux 3.2.0-?previous-kernel-number?-generic (/sdb1)
LinuxMint, with Linux 3.2.0-?previous-kernel-generic (recovery) (/sdb1)

Might be a good time for me to dump Mint 13 which I don't like and stick Mepis on there - it would at least make the menu clearer (hehe)

DDM
1. Correctly shows pae as installed and offers a driver for the right video card. Still not sure about Get Started and Support - the contents of each look as if they could go in one table.

2. The new DDM no longer hides one window with the other - very good.

3. Like the curious user I am, I still clicked on Get Started and Support while I was bored and waiting and nothing appeared to happen. Same goes for clicking on items in the table like the Help pdf etc. Presumably that is intentional while the drivers are installing. Eventually, the ""Drivers installed - please reboot" window came up. Imagine my surprise, when I clicked on Accept/Yes and, as the system starts to go down, all the things I had clicked on in Support started opening (Like Firefox opening the Mint Help pages etc)!!

4. Since this achieves nothing except to startle the user, would it be possible to hide or minimise the Welcome window while the DDM window is open and the drivers installing? That would stop the curious - it could come back up as the DDM window closes and the Reboot window opens?

OK that's about it.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@arjay
Thanks again for your excellent feedback!
I'll be away for a few days but I'm planning to work on DDM this weekend to make it more compatible with the regular LM.
That'll be the perfect timing to look into your remarks so I'll post back as soon as I can.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Started off on a small sour note. ISO file i burned to DVD was corrupt so i can't install.
Only have one more DVD on hand so i'll wait for release after weekend.

In the meantime, it would be nice to see someone fix that "dripping" LinuxMint logo image that comes with KDE...
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje

I am putting together another PC from some old bits and pieces that will allow me to test the 486 kernel. Take me a couple of days.

RJ
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:I am putting together another PC from some old bits and pieces that will allow me to test the 486 kernel.
That would be great!
Please, when you're ready, start the live installer in terminal:

kdesudo live-installer
You can see the output in the terminal.
It should remove the pae kernel after installation, so when you reboot, you only have the 486 kernel mentioned in grub.
As I said, I never tested it, so it's important that you copy the terminal output in a text file and post that here (or send me an email).

I'm really very curious how it goes.
Jose1965

Post by Jose1965 »

Hi Schoelje, I installed the LMDE KDE from the the Live DVD You released on 10/08/2012, and it's working good on my system, Now I see that You have a New iso released on October 16, to Upgrade to this new release can be done by an updates or need to be performed a fresh Install from the new ISO?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Jose1965 wrote:Hi Schoelje, I installed the LMDE KDE from the the Live DVD You released on 10/08/2012, and it's working good on my system, Now I see that You have a New iso released on October 16, to Upgrade to this new release can be done by an updates or need to be performed a fresh Install from the new ISO?
You can use the upgrade script I created (right-click, save as):
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages ... p5-upgrade

Return to “Chat about Linux”