The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by Schoelje »

tdockery97 wrote:Schoelje: Even though you're apparently going to begin focusing on an unofficial LMDE Xfce, I'm just curious if a respin of the unofficial LMDE KDE with UP6 is in our future. I ask because I replaced my install doing some other testing, and I'd rather hold off reinstalling if a new spin is in the works.
I'd prefer to wait with UP6 respin until I have finished the next DDM, but if UP6 becomes official I'm not going to wait more than two weeks for the UP6 respin. Even if DDM is not ready.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

arjay wrote:Imagine my surprise when I saw 673 updates being downloaded. Didn't think it was wise to interrupt and left it to install with my heart in my mouth
:lol: It won't hurt anything to bail out of the downloads. I wouldn't do it during the installation.
Last edited by mockturtl on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Schoelje wrote:I'd prefer to wait with UP6 respin until I have finished the next DDM, but if UP6 becomes official I'm not going to wait more than two weeks for the UP6 respin. Even if DDM is not ready.
Thanks for the info. I may go ahead and reinstall the current .iso and do the update to UP6 since another has done it without ill effect. It will still be less of a download than a new 1.4GB iso.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:
arjay wrote:
Schoelje wrote:
If nothing else is changed, an upgrade won't pose any problems when it goes official...except for arjay ;)
Not sure what you mean this??
Anyway - I have a test PC where I play around (test) new/upgraded distros like this and will be happy to test up6. However I am also running up5 on my production box which I don't want to mess with. I could have done without upgrading to up6 on this machine.
Don't worry, only test if you like to.
I don't think for LMDE KDE there will be many changes in UP6, but if you want to be on the save side, just wait until it becomes official.
It's important that you remove the "incoming" from your sources.list if you don't want to take unnecessary chances.
to be clear, it's not this incoming that is the problem (only)
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import incoming
but all the others
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/incoming/multimedia testing main non-free
while the first one can be removed (not recommended if you are keeping the others) the last 3 have to be changed to latest
something like this

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
    deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Schoelje wrote:Did you have these problems when running LMDE KDE live?

Let's try some other things:
  • Please, uncheck the "Show this dialog at startup" so that it doesn't start the welcome screen.
    This at least eliminates one application that could interfere with Kwin (but shouldn't). Reboot.
  • If you close the error box, what is the first application that shows in the system tray?
  • After you closed the error box, could you attach the output of:

dmesg > dmesg_output
    You will find a file called dmesg_output in the current directory.
  • Can you left-click the audio mixer in the system tray and open Mixer / Settings / Audio Setup / Audio Playback / Music and test the sound of each device entry in the right pane?
    If you uninstalled pulseaudio, you have several devices, if not, just a single one.
    What happened (I hope at least one gives a sound)?

I simply delete users and make new one and problem with sound just dissapear. It's little bit strange because settings remains the same...

Sorry for delayed answer Schoelje!
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I have one question but that it is an offtopic question but I'm sure that it is a piece of cake for you guys :)
How to change buttons for minimize, maximize and close? I make new topic about that ( http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=118141 )
I know how to change that buttons in Ubuntu distributions but it's little bit different in Cinnamon...
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

A week ago Clem proposed to make the unofficial LMDE KDE into a CE.
Testing would be done by the mint team and the distribution along with the others (a big pro). On the other hand, I would loose my very valued freedom (a big con).

I had to think about that and I just had a chat with Clem to let him know my decision.
LMDE KDE (and a slimmed down LMDE Xfce) are too much fun to give up. I really believe that all LMDE versions should at least have the same attention as the others, and really, don't you think that LMDE with the KDE desktop is the best Linux Mint could offer :wink: ?
So, I've been doing some really serious thinking and I've decided not to do it. Mind you, I have no intention to quit. It's ok how it goes now, and we'll be doing this for a while to come, but I really would like to have LMDE KDE the user base it deserves. Plans are brewing...
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Honestly do not quite understand the different postures of "Clem" regarding Linux Mint Debian Edition. Would be very positive to stop to lend so much attention to Mate and Cinnamon, and also give him an opportunity to an official release of Linux Mint Debian Edition KDE and firmly committed to continue the official version of Linux Mint Debian Edition XFCE.-

Unfortunately, this only demonstrates one thing: "Clem" and Linux Mint Team give more importance to the version of Linux Mint based on Ubuntu and not so much the version based on Debian. If he were given the due importance, I think that Linux Mint Debian Edition would be even better than the regular version of Linux Mint. Greetings.-
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that: all development effort is currently directed at Cinnamon and that is for the benefit of both LM and LMDE, and development will be the focus of the Mint team for quite a while. If you like Mate and Cinnamon, LM is the OS for you!

I had my reasons when I chose to make LMDE KDE: LM has a great concept, business intentions of LM is clear (though people may disagree), it's stable (especially LMDE) and I like the idea of "the empty canvas" design (it invites you to change its looks, instead of forcing it on you) and don't forget its community! I don't think I would have come this far (and having so much fun in the process) if it weren't for the LM community.

It's simply that I liked the KDE desktop more and that Debian is the best base for it, and that it deserves much more attention than it has now...so many people, so many flavors.
g2sws

Post by g2sws »

KDE has always been my choice. I and when I found your spin with lmde it was the perfect marriage for me anyway. I hope that you continue with this project and that nothing is hindered. Thanks for all your time and work. This is my distro of choice and hope I don't have to change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Schoelje

Agreed, its best if you keep things as is and maintain your own control over LMDE/KDE, and XFCE. We end users have much more rapid and direct feedback (and on occassion direct input) to how things develop. Your doing an excellent job in what you have done so far. Mint main editions are the priority of the Mint team (they always have been, and perhaps that is the best decision for Mint), but many of us prefer LMDE, and other desktops.

In honestly, I prefer XFCE over KDE, but prefer both of those over Cinnamon or Mate. From what I gather Clem based his decision to focus on Cinnamon and Mate from the poll and from number of .iso downloads. I have to ask myself if this is truly a valid method of sampling? I would guess that many of the downloads are from folks who are ditro-hoppers (guilty myself... :lol: ), and are perhaps not an OS that people use for daily computing. People just want to have a 'look-see". I'd bet in the real-world KDE and XFCE see more usage than presumed by Mint.

In any event, I agree its the community here that keep me interested in LMDE, and anything I know or learned about Linux is from this forum (well 99%, anyway... :wink: ).

Your hard work is appreciated. I wish I could help more, but with my limited knowledge, and hardware variety, its hard to do more.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Can anyone help me with this one? I have recently installed an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) on a PC running LMDE up6. The UPS has the facility to connect to the PC via usb. However. my box doesn't see the UPS. There is an Ubuntu software package available for the UPS which I have also installed but that also doesn't "see" the computer. This is the output from lsusb:

richard@galaxy ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0665:5161 Cypress Semiconductor USB to Serial
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c316 Logitech, Inc. HID-Compliant Keyboard
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 046d:c51b Logitech, Inc. V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. CY7C68300A EZ-USB AT2 USB 2.0 to ATA/ATAPI
richard@galaxy ~ $ 
The (Spanish) support service for the UPS doesn't seem to have heard of Linux and has no idea how to troubleshoot the problem. :(

Is there some other commands I could try to see if the usb is being detected and, if not, what i might do?

Thanks
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:It's simply that I liked the KDE desktop more and that Debian is the best base for it, and that it deserves much more attention than it has now...so many people, so many flavors.
agreed :D anyway i believe this way is better (in a bitter way)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I've started a new thread for Debian Plymouth Manager:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=120073

I'm in dire need for testers. So, if you like to help, just follow the instructions in the thread.

If you feel up to it, there is also the Device Driver Manager:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559

P.S.: I've also posted this on the unofficial LMDE Xfce thread.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

With the release of UP6 today, I ran MintUpdate on my LMDE KDE "Latest" installation. It took a horrendously long time, due I'm sure to everyone else with LMDE running it also, but after rebooting the system everything is working like a charm.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

tdockery97 wrote:With the release of UP6 today, I ran MintUpdate on my LMDE KDE "Latest" installation. It took a horrendously long time, due I'm sure to everyone else with LMDE running it also, but after rebooting the system everything is working like a charm.
Good to know. I too, had no problems at all.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje

Installed up5 lmde kde on friend's PC for him. All runs fine but DDM failed to install drivers fior his ATI Radeon 9200Pro. I saw one message "404 not found" and it then hung on downloading a specific file. Looks like a url has changed or is out of date?

Remind me what the CLI is for running ddm with log and I'll post results for you later today
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:Schoelje

Installed up5 lmde kde on friend's PC for him. All runs fine but DDM failed to install drivers fior his ATI Radeon 9200Pro. I saw one message "404 not found" and it then hung on downloading a specific file. Looks like a url has changed or is out of date?

Remind me what the CLI is for running ddm with log and I'll post results for you later today
A 404 is HTML error.
DDM does not refer to any HTML page: it downloads packages from the repository (as in apt-get).
Maybe it was the welcome screen? That refers to different Linux Mint pages.

If you want to generate a log file for the old DDM (which is part of the UP5 iso):

device-driver-manager -d
for the current alpha version:

ddm -d
Remember that the servers might be very busy because of the UP6 release yesterday.
So, beware of time-outs and other annoying things.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Hi Schoelje

You are quite right of course. It was the Wecome screen that I was trying to install the drivers from. But I thought that just ran DDM in the background - obviously not? Anyway I tried to run DDM and it also would not install the drivers - complaining with 404's and then just locking up. I left it for an hour just to be sure but had to shut it down in the end.

Here is the log from device-driver-manager -d. It has quite a few 404's which look like they refer to the repos? Anyway you will know what it all means.

Cheers

Richard
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I think the servers are a bit busy :(

Did you check Clem's blog about UP6?
Especially this part:
To select another mirror:

Make sure “mint-debian-mirrors” is installed
Open a terminal and run the following command: mint-choose-debian-mirror
It'll choose the fastest mirror for you.
Then try DDM again.

Return to “Chat about Linux”