The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by Schoelje »

ronnietucker wrote:Would that cause problems? I never edited that file. If it's broken it wasn't me. Honest! :D
Double entries won't hurt.
testparm test the parameters in the file. If it doesn't raise an error, you're file is fine.
If you feel better removing the double entry, just do so.
You can then check the file with

Code: Select all

sudo testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
But first: check if you're in the "users" group (it's a bit of a rhetorical question ;) ).
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:Another try...
First, check if you are in the users group!
If not, add yourself to the users group, if you are, try this:

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
Make sure the following is in the [global] section:

usershare allow guests = Yes
usershare max shares = 100
usershare owner only = False
Create usershare directory if it not already exists with the right permissions (owner=root / group=users):

sudo mkdir /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chgrp users /var/lib/samba/usershares/
sudo chmod 1775 /var/lib/samba/usershares/
Restart samba:

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
and try sharing a directory again.
I hate to break it to you... same!

Yep, I'm already in the 'users' group and the 'usershares' folder was already there (still did the other commands anyway).

This little problem is a real toughy :?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I'm now out of ideas :(
Well, just one then:
open that usershares directory for everybody and see what happens:

sudo chmod 1777 /var/lib/samba/usershares/
and I found that not all I said was correct: the usershares directory group is NOT users, but sambashare...but you were already in sambashare...

If you monitor /var/lib/samba/usershares
while you are sharing a directory, it should create a file with the name of the shared directory.
I bet in your case, it doesn't.
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:I'm now out of ideas :(
Well, just one then:
open that usershares directory for everybody and see what happens:

sudo chmod 1777 /var/lib/samba/usershares/
and I found that not all I said was correct: the usershares directory group is NOT users, but sambashare...but you were already in sambashare...

If you monitor /var/lib/samba/usershares
while you are sharing a directory, it should create a file with the name of the shared directory.
I bet in your case, it doesn't.
Ah HA!

Your very last piece of advice did the trick. For some reason there were already a couple of files in the /usershares folder. I deleted them and now folders share fine. I can only assume they were bad/corrupt files and recreating them fixed things.

Thanks!
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ronnietucker wrote:Your very last piece of advice did the trick. For some reason there were already a couple of files in the /usershares folder. I deleted them and now folders share fine. I can only assume they were bad/corrupt files and recreating them fixed things.

Thanks!
Thank goodness, now I can finally sleep...

Btw, aren't you the guy who was going to write an article about LMDE?
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:Your very last piece of advice did the trick. For some reason there were already a couple of files in the /usershares folder. I deleted them and now folders share fine. I can only assume they were bad/corrupt files and recreating them fixed things.

Thanks!
Thank goodness, now I can finally sleep...

Btw, aren't you the guy who was going to write an article about LMDE?
Guilty as charged! :D

I was originally going to tag a little piece onto a longer article (written by someone else) about installing LMDE KDE on an EEE PC (they did Ubuntu on an EEE) but it didn't work out.

I'll still write one up though. A couple of (quick!) question that I've been asked about LMDE KDE:
* Can you add K/Ubuntu repos to it?
* How about PPAs?
* How does it differ from Kubuntu?
* Can you add other repos to get KDE 4.9 (etc.)?
* Is UP5 equivalent to 12.04, 12.10, or something else?

Answers to those questions will help me write up my article, but I'll let you know when it's in Full Circle Magazine. Hopefully next month (Dec 2012). :)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

• Can you add K/Ubuntu repos to it?
    I wouldn't do that: LMDE and LMDE KDE are Debian based, not Ubuntu based.
  • How about PPAs?
    They won't work (as far as I know) for the same reason as above.
  • How does it differ from Kubuntu?
    Other than that Kubuntu is Ubuntu based and LMDE KDE is Debian based?
  • Can you add other repos to get KDE 4.9 (etc.)?
    No, even the sid (experimental) repositories have version 4.8.4
  • Is UP5 equivalent to 12.04, 12.10, or something else?
    No, there is no comparison between versioning of Debian based distributions and Ubuntu based distributions.
After the third question I realized that you think LMDE and LMDE KDE are Ubuntu based distributions like the regular Linux Mint or Kubuntu, but as you can read from my answers LMDE and LMDE KDE are Debian based and that's a complete different story.
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:
  • Can you add K/Ubuntu repos to it?
    I wouldn't do that: LMDE and LMDE KDE are Debian based, not Ubuntu based.
  • How about PPAs?
    They won't work (as far as I know) for the same reason as above.
  • How does it differ from Kubuntu?
    Other than that Kubuntu is Ubuntu based and LMDE KDE is Debian based?
  • Can you add other repos to get KDE 4.9 (etc.)?
    No, even the sid (experimental) repositories have version 4.8.4
  • Is UP5 equivalent to 12.04, 12.10, or something else?
    No, there is no comparison between versioning of Debian based distributions and Ubuntu based distributions.
After the third question I realized that you think LMDE and LMDE KDE are Ubuntu based distributions like the regular Linux Mint or Kubuntu, but as you can read from my answers LMDE and LMDE KDE are Debian based and that's a complete different story.
Thanks for the answers!

I did know that LMDE KDE is based on Debian, but I was just wanting to get your take on it as it's something I'll need to explain to the readers in my article. Just playing devils advocate. :twisted:

Thanks for all the help. I'm really enjoying LMDE KDE. It's Debian, but not too far out of my comfort zone (Kubuntu). Not having the latest and greatest versions is a bit of a downer, but nothing major. Maybe it's for my own good to stop me breaking my system. :D

If there's anything you think I should/need to mention feel free to let me know. If you like I can PM you a link to my article to get your take on it before I publish it. That way you can comment on it or correct me where I'm wrong.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ronnietucker wrote:I did know that LMDE KDE is based on Debian, but I was just wanting to get your take on it as it's something I'll need to explain to the readers in my article. Just playing devils advocate. :twisted:
You evil...and I'm trying to be serious about it... :)
ronnietucker wrote:Thanks for all the help. I'm really enjoying LMDE KDE. It's Debian, but not too far out of my comfort zone (Kubuntu). Not having the latest and greatest versions is a bit of a downer, but nothing major. Maybe it's for my own good to stop me breaking my system. :D
Delivering the updates in packs makes LMDE even more stable than it would be without. For those who prefer the latest and greatest probably know what they are doing and point their repositories to Debian Sid, but for the majority of us, a stable system is preferred.
ronnietucker wrote:If there's anything you think I should/need to mention feel free to let me know. If you like I can PM you a link to my article to get your take on it before I publish it. That way you can comment on it or correct me where I'm wrong.
I'd really love that.
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

You may recall I've had a minor gui issue where the gui colors would occasionally revert to some fallback, but couldn't find a reliable pattern to cause it. Well it does seem to happen every time I open an image (an ISO) in either k9copy or k3b. I tried running them in the terminal but no feedback resulted. Also tried running systemsetting from terminal but the only feedback is "QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave." Anyway, perhaps someone can try opening an ISO and see what happens. I don't know if it's related but I'll mention it in case: k9copy won't work with a dvd from a folder (with VIDEO_TS folder, etc) whereas it will work with the same dvd as an ISO image.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@TeaSwigger
I'm sorry, but I'm unable to reproduce your issue.
Did you clean-install LMDE KDE UP5 and if you did, did you try creating a new user and test if that user had the same problem?
Or did you upgrade from a previous version (you could try the new user test)?
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:@TeaSwigger
I'm sorry, but I'm unable to reproduce your issue.
Did you clean-install LMDE KDE UP5 and if you did, did you try creating a new user and test if that user had the same problem?
Or did you upgrade from a previous version (you could try the new user test)?
That figures! I had installed from your UP4 ISO and have since used your update to UP5 script. When I can, I will create a test account and see if it will reproduce the issue.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Since I have been using lmde 5 kde (some months) the Update Manager has always show the system as up to date. From time to time I start it up and there are always up to 10 or so updates waiting, which i dutifully install. It all goes fine. Today I checked again and saw there seemed to be quite a few this time. Silly me - I didn't check more carefully but just chose update.

Imagine my surprise when I saw 673 updates being downloaded. Didn't think it was wise to interrupt and left it to install with my heart in my mouth - it took hours or so it seemed. Quite a few error messages came up that frightened the life out of me like "the hard drive on which this was originally installed is now missing or else has changed...." and another about grub not being installed and asking which partition I wanted it installed, and yet another pointing out that the version of Nvidia for the kernel was out of wack with the installed drivers; then a long technical explanation of what to do if the system would not reboot because of this etc etc.

Thankfully it all went OK and seems as solid as ever - BTW the kernel now seems as "Linux galaxy 3.2.0-4-486 #1 Debian 3.2.32-1 i686 GNU/Linux".

Anyone like to explain how an update manager that says all is up to date can then install 673 updates :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

arjay,
i would say that you got UP6 :lol:
what is the output of

inxi -r
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

zerozero wrote:arjay,
i would say that you got UP6 :lol:
what is the output of

inxi -r
Sure you are right, but not sure this sheds much light on things:

richard@galaxy ~ $ inxi -r
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import incoming
deb http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/linux ... n/incoming testing main contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/linux ... g/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/linux ... multimedia testing main non-free
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
richard@galaxy ~ $

BTW - looking /etc/apt/sources.list I see that "Automatically check for updates" was turned OFF. That would explain why I was never notified. Strange, though, as I never chose that setting. Can't understand why it would be the default?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:deb http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import incoming
Mind the last word: incoming
So, you're one of the first testers, congratulations!
This is the UP6 incoming thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=119075
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I've upgraded the unofficial LMDE KDE to UP6 (incoming) and found no issues (just 1 warning):
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 01#p657301

If nothing else is changed, an upgrade won't pose any problems when it goes official...except for arjay ;)
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote:
If nothing else is changed, an upgrade won't pose any problems when it goes official...except for arjay ;)
Not sure what you mean this??
Anyway - I have a test PC where I play around (test) new/upgraded distros like this and will be happy to test up6. However I am also running up5 on my production box which I don't want to mess with. I could have done without upgrading to up6 on this machine.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Schoelje: Even though you're apparently going to begin focusing on an unofficial LMDE Xfce, I'm just curious if a respin of the unofficial LMDE KDE with UP6 is in our future. I ask because I replaced my install doing some other testing, and I'd rather hold off reinstalling if a new spin is in the works.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

arjay wrote:
Schoelje wrote:
Not sure what you mean this??
Anyway - I have a test PC where I play around (test) new/upgraded distros like this and will be happy to test up6. However I am also running up5 on my production box which I don't want to mess with. I could have done without upgrading to up6 on this machine.
Don't worry, only test if you like to.
I don't think for LMDE KDE there will be many changes in UP6, but if you want to be on the save side, just wait until it becomes official.
It's important that you remove the "incoming" from your sources.list if you don't want to take unnecessary chances.

Return to “Chat about Linux”