Ubuntu Donationware

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Ubuntu Donationware

Post by KBD47 »

First was Unity, then came Amazon ads in the desktop, now we have Ubuntu Donationware:
http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-linux-donat ... 000005497/
Makes me glad Mint is around, and makes me think it could be in Mint's best interest to invest more in their LMDE versions. Such moves by Ubuntu seem desperate and make me seriously question Ubuntu's future. If they don't start making the kind of money they want, how long will they be around? :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Ubuntu Donationware

Post by bimsebasse »

I think you're seeing ghosts, KB. all in all pretty harmless initiative.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

It feels desperate on top of the Amazon ads debacle. And yet the electrified skull for those who don't donate is hilarious:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/ubun ... tions-page
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I have no problem donating to good projects, as I have done in the past. And I have no problem donating to Ubuntu. Lets face it, it's the base for Mint, and even in its own right an amazing OS. But I do worry that perhaps things aren't so rosy over at Canonical, and that's why they need to put this type of thing to the forefront. Could Ubuntu be struggling now, and be in need of serious cash behind the scenes? I hope not, as to me it's massively important in the computer world now, and no one can afford to lose it imho.

Return to “Chat about Linux”