blog post: Of Tablets And Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

blog post: Of Tablets And Linux

Post by KBD47 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: blog post: Of Tablets And Linux

Post by xenopeek »

There is no denying tablets have a place for things like consuming media or browsing the Internet. Buy did you write the above linked article on a tablet? :)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

No, on my net book. It is one of the few things I still use it for. BTW I answered this on my iconia tablet :-)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I actually did write this one on my tablet :-)
Tablets, Christmas, etc.
http://kbd-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.com ... tc_20.html
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If we train the digital generations (the kids of today) to expect tables/tablets, smartphones and multi-function devices via touch or voice or some future human-computer interface, then we can expect to see all manner of communication technologies and selection methods: and they will find it perfectly normal (natural)

On the other hand those who have grown up with technology developments have a bit more of an historical perspective and know there are other choices than the trendiest device available
--and, of course might prefer other methods (keyboards) instead of membrane-keyboards or touch-screens
  • As long as everything isn't being decided on a vote
    --vote for your preferred method of interface: in fact do we even vote or do designers of devices tell us or show us what they have available and to which we should adapt, because it's cool!
  • I don't know
Last edited by DrHu on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

There is no question that multi-tasking and other features of desktop and laptop computers cannot be replaced, at least for the near future, but tablets are taking off much quicker than anyone could imagine, and if Linux did not win the PC war, its first cousin Android seems poised to do so in the near future.
I would be fascinated to see what the Mint devs could do with a simplified Cinnamon interface, maybe built on LMDE, that could be used on tablets :-)

Return to “Chat about Linux”