Exiting times for us distro hoppers!

Chat about Linux in general

Re: Exiting times for us distro hoppers!

Postby MagnusB on Wed May 07, 2008 10:35 am

Installed 8.04 last night, went to configure my wireless today (NDISwrapper) and found that it hadn't discovered that I had a wireless device (but somehow it had loaded the ssb module). Anyway, went to install the driver, then blacklisted the incorrect modules and rebooted, still no devices.. Strange since I got it to work in Gutsy...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby rivenought on Wed May 07, 2008 11:48 am

Maybe it was just me, but I had some issues with Zenwalk 5.0.0. My generic resolution would not behave properly - even with VESA 1024x768. Also, LILO went wonky on me - first time ever to have that problem. I had to Boot & Nuke that drive to get back to normal. For me, Zenwalk was disappointing even though I really had high hopes for it. Maybe the 5.0.1 is much better. I probably will not attempt it, but I do hope others will share their experience.

Still, out of all my test drives, Mint is my favorite for reasons far too numerous to mention, but in this forum, you already know the many benefits of Mint. I do like openSUSE, but the questionable political ramifications cooking up with Novell do shadow that community. It is a top-notch, full-meal deal distro, and certainly worth the hours it takes to get up and running.

In the past month, the only distro I have been installing has been Linux Mint 4 GNOME. Once I show the Mint Live CD, everything else pales in comparison. It is refreshing to have a completely updated and fully-functional system up, running, and out the door in under two hours.

Now, I have toyed with Mandriva. Oh yeah, names are being taken for sure. Also, I cannot wait to see the Gold Master of openSUSE 11 hit the torrents. Yes, exciting times.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MagnusB on Wed May 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Yeah, LILO has some issues, I prefer GRUB. Though the most promising slack distro I have (briefly) tested so far is easys. It has it's own homebrewn "Alice" which handles installation, packages and configuration, and it is quite fast as well. Still it used LILO and I couldn't get it translated to GRUB, so I just briefly tried it out..
Also I have recently reformated my drive, so now I got 2x10GB partitions to test out distributions on, removed Mint in the process though, but I'll look in to it again when Elyssa is out :D
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kanishka on Wed May 07, 2008 12:30 pm

MagnusB wrote:Installed 8.04 last night, went to configure my wireless today (NDISwrapper) and found that it hadn't discovered that I had a wireless device (but somehow it had loaded the ssb module). Anyway, went to install the driver, then blacklisted the incorrect modules and rebooted, still no devices.. Strange since I got it to work in Gutsy...

I had the same experience with Kubuntu Hardy... and I have a Broadcom wireless chip. Sigh! :cry:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MagnusB on Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 pm

It doesn't happen to be a BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI? The only good thing about Broadcom is that it is well supported by NDISwrapper, though I still prefer Intel chips any day... To bad I didn't have any say on the make of this laptop, the insurance company made that decision for me...
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kanishka on Thu May 08, 2008 3:38 am

It's a BCM4318 PCMCIA card by U.S. Robotics (the MAXg model). It worked in Daryna and in Gutsy. I bought it without considering Linux compatibility... :(
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux