Two panel layout FTW!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheLastStud

Two panel layout FTW!

Post by TheLastStud »

No matter how many times I try to adapt to all these "modern" new interfaces, I always find myself reverting to the traditional Gnome two-panel layout with the launchers and statusicons at the top and the window list, show desktop button and workspace switcher at the bottom. It's the ultimate king of productivity and functionality IMO. Who else feels this way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Two panel layout FTW!

Post by bimsebasse »

Does it matter? Depends who you are. For me two panels take up too much space and make for an unattractive and cluttered desktop. If you've gotten used to launching things from the keyboard all those icons and bits and bobs on the desktop and in the panels are just in the way.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I don't know what the FTW is, but I like two panel file managers; unfortunately something like gnome-commander hangs on large searches and sometimes crashes: if it worked 100% well it would be great.

For other choices I like LMDE with an xfce (old standard Linux menu, not a Suse slab type), and a minimally cluttered desktop with only a few icons, no fancy theme, screen save or wallpaper, and no animation or even activity/busy application launches, if it doesn't in the time I expect, I give up and start it again; as using an application informs me as to its normal startup(load) time..
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Slab

If i really had to be that productive, fast application switching, I would probably use one of the multi-screen (window )applications to jump around open apps
--of course I would then need lots of RAM and a goodly amount of hard drive storage
http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
--possibly something like that, not GUI (a terminal shell), it would have to manage the GUI applications launches, but it wouldn't be weighing down the system with a GUI-based multi-windows management controller: with plenty of RAM, I wouldn't care and would lil;ey just use the windows switcher and probably add more than the default of 4 windows..

I remember that Beos offered 32 windows (sessions), but it is not ready for prime time and since being orphaned, hasn't had much in the way of driver support (Haiku..)
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

The two panel layout is pretty far from optimal on a widescreen monitor, especially a low resolution one such as a 720p laptop display.
mercier

Post by mercier »

i am back at two panel window. desktop pc with a large screen.
on laptops it's not optimal, though.

now i need to find a way to add applets to bottom window, and all will be well. cinnamon 1.6
Olson

Post by Olson »

In old gnome, I had two panels, but I had them both at the top. This was optimum for me, but doesn't seem possible with latest cinnamon / mint 14

Return to “Chat about Linux”