The unofficial LMDE XFCE - startup

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cwwgateway

Re: The unofficial LMDE XFCE

Post by cwwgateway »

I also can't change from the oxygen theme to others without logging out. I don't know what apps to remove other than all of the kde and qt stuff... but Schoelje seems to want it for consistency (which makes sense). I can't change mouse pointers from the xfce gui (the command line works fine), even after logging out and rebooting. I don't see any other problems with it right now, but I haven't tried it thoroughly.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

ddm pae kernel install

on a fresh install tried ddm again took very long time to instal pae image. Debians usually take 10 minutes or so. Left running after 15 minutes came back after 1/2 hour finally installed. **will check mirrors speed?

Web Cam didn't realise can open capture (video) device in VLC :oops: Liking VLC more and more as explore it. :P Still Frame rates seem slow even for a Debian (maybe problem with Intergrated intel GFX driver(?)

Any on know the Auto play command to give VLC to play a cd/dvd (to set in removable drives & media).

J.Jay
P.S. also changed theme appearance>crux & Window manager to Wallis (oxygen was rendering 'washed out' and giving be headaches (exspecially web/browser) :shock:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

also found

main menu in setting, from right click on menu (Icon) and entering 'alacarte' from a run command (alt+F2) doesn't work. Alacarte installed as listed in synaptic.

banshee still listed in setting>removable drives & media 'media tab' for running audio cd (switch to either vlc or exaile) tho I install
audacious for play music.

changing theme from setting mouse & touchpad not working

J.Jay
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:- one issue i noticed here (have no idea if it's replicable elsewhere): when changing from the default qt theme/icon to any gtk-based ghanges don't apply immediately (actually i need a logout for that); the same doesn't happen changing between gtk-based themes/icons afterwards (changes are immediate) << it's not a major issue but i'm puzzled.
I know, I mentioned it after I uploaded the alpha version: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 01#p669701
but because the engine is a binary file, I can't do anything about it.
zerozero wrote:- i thought about parole's removal now that vlc "has" to be installed (it's done 8) ) << in this topic i can't see ways to slim the iso, not if you want to give the user a proper ootb experience
I definately don't want to comprimize regarding the ootb experience.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

changing theme from setting mouse & touchpad not working
Sorry seems to change after relogin/reboot. But any of oxygen (mouse) themes change with out reboot/login :?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

jjaythomas wrote:ddm pae kernel install

on a fresh install tried ddm again took very long time to instal pae image. Debians usually take 10 minutes or so. Left running after 15 minutes came back after 1/2 hour finally installed. **will check mirrors speed?
Try another mirror:

Code: Select all

sudo mint-choose-debian-mirror
sudo apt-get update
jjaythomas wrote:Any on know the Auto play command to give VLC to play a cd/dvd (to set in removable drives & media).

vlc -vvv cdda:///dev/sr0
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

jjaythomas wrote:main menu in setting, from right click on menu (Icon) and entering 'alacarte' from a run command (alt+F2) doesn't work. Alacarte installed as listed in synaptic.
Right click menu icon -> Properties -> Use the default menu (selected) + Edit Menu doesn't seem to do a thing either...will have to look into that.

[EDIT]
It seems that Alacarte is looking for gnome-applications-menu hard-coded :shock:
As symlink fixes the problem:

cd $HOME/.config/menus
ln -s xfce-applications.menu gnome-applications.menu
jjaythomas wrote:banshee still listed in setting>removable drives & media 'media tab' for running audio cd (switch to either vlc or exaile) tho I install audacious for play music.
I found that after the beta upload. Will be fixed in final release.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Has anybody found a solution for the missing network icons?
I couldn't find an icon theme that would show the icons correctly :(

zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[in a hurry :lol: ]
the slowness we experience installing (specially in the configuring FF and TB part where live-installer has to d/l the language-packs) and in ddm installing the pae kernel and the drivers is because the default repos are very slow at the moment (have been like that for some time)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I'm afraid Alacarte is a goner: when you try to edit an item (or add a new one), it crashes without an error message.
When you run it in terminal, you see a nice traceback.
This error has been filed in 2011 and hasn't been dealt with since: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/826049

I can't remember, but what are the alternatives?

[EDIT]
There seems to be a patch: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1089438
I'm going to test that first: replace gnome-desktop-item-edit to exo-desktop-item-edit in /usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MainWindow.py.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

LXMED works, but is not ideal (Categories are not recognized in same manner)
But it can be useful...

http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/

===============
Edit:
There was a problem with alacarte/python in SID a while back...??
You MIGHT find something pertinent here.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p503430
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

GeneC wrote:LXMED works, but is not ideal (Categories are not recognized in same manner)
But it can be useful...

http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/
I had installed it sucessfully before in old LMDE/XFCE, wont install in UN/XFCE/alpha.?
I think it needs JAVA?

YES..
http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/help.html#java
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

This may be a better solution.

Its not a Menu Editor (as such) but can edit the menu.... :P

XFCE Application Finder. (right click on app, and edit name, icon, command), you can HIDE icon, et.???
Also works excellently as a Menu itself..

click
Last edited by GeneC on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I'll take that as a backup.
I changed and repacked Alacarte...just see if that works.

[EDIT]
Fix Alacarte:

sed -i -e '/gnome-desktop-item-edit/ s/gnome/exo/' /usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MainWindow.py
sed -i -e '/gnome-/ s/gnome/xfce/' /usr/share/alacarte/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py
However, when there is an update of Alacarte, the patch will be overwritten...
I've forked Alacarte source to make some improvements when I have the time.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I've been using as mainmenu also...
XFCE Application Finder. (right click on app, and edit name, icon, command), you can HIDE icon, et.???
Also works excellently as a Menu itself..
BUT never new that :) Your a fountain of info Gene :P

J.Jay

P.S. changed mirrors (metrocast I think) everything alot speedier :)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

If there are no more issues (except for this one: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p670849)...shall I upload the release candidates (32 and 64-bit)?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

[quote][/quote]If there are no more issues (except for this one: viewtopic.php?p=670849#p670849)...shall I upload the release candidates (32 and 64-bit)?

YES love to try 64Bit and see how skype(4.0.8 pre MS one) works in multi-arch. (Why asked alot web Cam qustions/requests. :)

Big Thank You again
J.Jay
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

jjaythomas wrote:...... Your a fountain of info Gene :P

J.Jay

Hey JJ... :D
Thanks, but..... I am often told, I am a fountain of something, but its not usually INFO..... :lol:

==============================
About alacarte....
I uninstalled it, to re-install, that was a big mistake.... :shock:
gene@lmde-xfce:~$ apt install alacarte
[sudo] password for gene:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
apg cheese-common cups-pk-helper evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common folks-common
gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-caribou-1.0 gir1.2-folks-0.6 gir1.2-gck-1 gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-gcr-3
gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 gir1.2-gee-1.0 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0 gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-mutter-3.0
gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0 gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12
gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2 gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 gjs gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-bluetooth
gnome-contacts gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-media gnome-menus
gnome-online-accounts gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-power-manager gnome-session gnome-session-bin
gnome-session-common gnome-session-fallback gnome-settings-daemon gnome-shell gnome-shell-common libcamel-1.2-33
libcaribou-common libcaribou0 libcheese-gtk21 libcheese3 libclutter-imcontext-0.1-0 libclutter-imcontext-0.1-bin
libcluttergesture-0.0.2-0 libebackend-1.2-2 libebook-1.2-13 libecal-1.2-11 libedata-book-1.2-13 libedata-cal-1.2-15
libedataserver-1.2-16 libedataserverui-3.0-1 libfolks-eds25 libfolks-telepathy25 libfolks25 libgdata-common libgdata13
libgjs0b libgnome-bluetooth10 libgnome-desktop-3-2 libgnome-media-profiles-3.0-0 libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd7
libgoa-1.0-0 libgoa-1.0-common libgucharmap-2-90-7 libgweather-3-0 libgweather-common libmission-control-plugins0
libmozjs185-1.0 libmutter0 libmx-1.0-2 libmx-bin libmx-common libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm-glib4 libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0
libnm-util2 liboauth0 libpackagekit-glib2-14 libpanel-applet-4-0 librest-extras-0.7-0 libsocialweb-client2
libsocialweb-common libsocialweb-service libsocialweb0 libtelepathy-logger2 libwacom-common libwacom2 mousetweaks
mutter-common notification-daemon obexd-client python-aptdaemon.pkcompat python-packagekit telepathy-mission-control-5
Suggested packages:
evolution evolution-data-server-dbg nautilus-sendto gnome-user-share nautilus gnome-screensaver telepathy-haze
Recommended packages:
packagekit-system-interface packagekit
The following NEW packages will be installed:
alacarte apg cheese-common cups-pk-helper evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common folks-common
gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-caribou-1.0 gir1.2-folks-0.6 gir1.2-gck-1 gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-gcr-3
gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 gir1.2-gee-1.0 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0 gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-mutter-3.0
gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0 gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12
gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2 gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 gjs gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-bluetooth
gnome-contacts gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-media gnome-menus
gnome-online-accounts gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-power-manager gnome-session gnome-session-bin
gnome-session-common gnome-session-fallback gnome-settings-daemon gnome-shell gnome-shell-common libcamel-1.2-33
libcaribou-common libcaribou0 libcheese-gtk21 libcheese3 libclutter-imcontext-0.1-0 libclutter-imcontext-0.1-bin
libcluttergesture-0.0.2-0 libebackend-1.2-2 libebook-1.2-13 libecal-1.2-11 libedata-book-1.2-13 libedata-cal-1.2-15
libedataserver-1.2-16 libedataserverui-3.0-1 libfolks-eds25 libfolks-telepathy25 libfolks25 libgdata-common libgdata13
libgjs0b libgnome-bluetooth10 libgnome-desktop-3-2 libgnome-media-profiles-3.0-0 libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd7
libgoa-1.0-0 libgoa-1.0-common libgucharmap-2-90-7 libgweather-3-0 libgweather-common libmission-control-plugins0
libmozjs185-1.0 libmutter0 libmx-1.0-2 libmx-bin libmx-common libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm-glib4 libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0
libnm-util2 liboauth0 libpackagekit-glib2-14 libpanel-applet-4-0 librest-extras-0.7-0 libsocialweb-client2
libsocialweb-common libsocialweb-service libsocialweb0 libtelepathy-logger2 libwacom-common libwacom2 mousetweaks
mutter-common notification-daemon obexd-client python-aptdaemon.pkcompat python-packagekit telepathy-mission-control-5
0 upgraded, 107 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 64.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 171 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? N
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: Gene that is a big N :shock:
if you install it with

--no-install-recommends
will it be functional (well, as much as alacarte can be nowadays :mrgreen: :?: )
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

'zz'...:lol:
My lightweight lmce/xfce was about to go down the tubes...

That is better...
gene@lmde-xfce:~$ apt install --no-install-recommends alacarte
[sudo] password for gene:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Recommended packages:
gnome-panel
The following NEW packages will be installed:
alacarte
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 105 kB of archives.
After this operation, 293 kB of additional disk space will be used
Gotta put that command in my 'clicompanion' too damn old to actually remember it...

Thanks.. :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux”