The unofficial LMDE XFCE - startup

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GeneC

Re: The unofficial LMDE XFCE

Post by GeneC »

Morning Schoelje.. :)

I'll bet your beat after all the work...Thanks...

Just installed the Alpha with no problems. Applied your 'bash fix' from above post.

DDM identified my hardware correctly.

Going to make a clone before using DDM for the 1st time.

Be back soon.... 8)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

DDM sucessfully installed Nvidia in UN/LMDE/XFCE ALPHA

DDM log is HUGE!
http://pastebin.com/8Trf3JPR

-----------------------------

Question?
DDM says a PAE kernel is available. Would it benefit my single core computer (P4)?
SPECS

Code: Select all

gene@lmde-xfce:~$ inxi -F
System:    Host lmde-xfce Kernel 3.2.0-4-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro LinuxMint 1 debian
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-UP-) cache 1024 KB flags (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips 5984.63 clocked at 2992.319 MHz 
Graphics:  Card NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1680x1050@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.48 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver snd_intel8x0 at ports ec00 e8c0 BusID: 00:1e.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3 v: 3.121 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 42.0GB (-) 1: /dev/sda ST340014AS 40.0GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb STORAGE_DEVICE 2.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 11G used: 4.3G (43%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 11G used: 4.3G (43%) fs: ext4 
Info:      Processes 145 Uptime 24 min Memory 403.2/2278.9MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

GeneC wrote:Question?
DDM says a PAE kernel is available. Would it benefit my single core computer (P4)?
Although your CPU is PAE ready, I doubt you'll notice the difference...but you could try nevertheless (and leave the old kernel, just to be sure).
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Will do, but still adding..stuff I use daily (no need to get into that right now).. :lol:

But, first bug.
I noticed things were slow. Found out that my swap file (pre-existing--this is a dual boot Mint14XFCe and UN-XFCE-LMDE) was not recognized. I opened /etc/fstab and was surprised to see this....
NOTHING...:shock:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
Same computer -- My Nadia XFCE /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=264d686e-4e35-4bf3-be87-9e1e746c85ad /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=4ceefd7f-9037-4963-9336-c61ba886c551 none            swap    sw              0       0
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

GeneC wrote:But, first bug.
I noticed things were slow. Found out that my swap file (pre-existing--this is a dual boot Mint14XFCe and UN-XFCE-LMDE) was not recognized. I opened /etc/fstab and was surprised to see this....
NOTHING...:shock:
This should have been handled by the live-installer.
I'm going to look into it.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I had to add some code to live-installer to handle lightdm...but made a typo:

gksu mousepad /usr/lib/live-installer/installer.py
line #313:

if os.path.exist(lightdmPath):
should be:

if os.path.exists(lightdmPath):
Spot the difference!
I'm working on a new iso because this critical bug needs to be solved if anyone wants to seriously test LMDE Xfce.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I've downloaded and am now using it in a livedvd while it's installing (I applied the fix). It looks very KDE-like (which I think was intentional), which I think is interesting, although it takes some getting used to. However, it appears to have not GTK 3 support, so abiword, which is written in GTK 3, looks very bad. The easiest way to fix this would be to use a theme that supports GTK 3. Otherwise, I believe you can define the theme in the .gtkrc-2.0 file and then define a different theme in an application such as lxappearance or the xfce4 appearance app. The one defined in the app will handle only gtk 3 apps, and the one defined in the file will define the rest of the system.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

cwwgateway wrote:I've downloaded and am now using it in a livedvd while it's installing (I applied the fix). It looks very KDE-like (which I think was intentional), which I think is interesting, although it takes some getting used to. However, it appears to have not GTK 3 support, so abiword, which is written in GTK 3, looks very bad. The easiest way to fix this would be to use a theme that supports GTK 3. Otherwise, I believe you can define the theme in the .gtkrc-2.0 file and then define a different theme in an application such as lxappearance or the xfce4 appearance app. The one defined in the app will handle only gtk 3 apps, and the one defined in the file will define the rest of the system.
What if I install gtk3-engines-oxygen?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Schoelje wrote:I had to add some code to live-installer to handle lightdm...but made a typo:

gksu mousepad /usr/lib/live-installer/installer.py
line #313:

if os.path.exist(lightdmPath):
should be:

if os.path.exists(lightdmPath):
Spot the difference!
I'm working on a new iso because this critical bug needs to be solved if anyone wants to seriously test LMDE Xfce.
Nice catch.
I edited my own /etc/fstab to the correct settings and now have a working swap.
CWW says,
It looks very KDE-like (which I think was intentional), which I think is interesting, although it takes some getting used to. However, it appears to have not GTK 3 support, so abiword, which is written in GTK 3, looks very bad. The easiest way to fix this would be to use a theme that supports GTK 3.
:lol: , Yes you can tell Schoelje is a KDE guy...
Oxygen theme, and (38mb's.. :shock:) of oxygencursors (I removed those and added the dmz-cursor-theme, 3.6mb) that we are more familiar with.

About themes.
I installed a half dozen gtk2/3 themes that all worked well in my LMDE/XFCE/SID (201204 iso). They are work well there, but NOT in the UN/XFCE? Oxygen-gtk is the ONLY theme that works properly.
I thought to install gtk3-engines-xfce (3.0.1-1) from Siduction XFCE next to no avail.. :|
Enough for today.... :P
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I just noticed that in Virtualbox (I didn't check something else) I can only logout when running live.
Restart and shutdown are greyed out.

Do you have that too?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

No, but I have a full install in a separate partition, not virtual-box.

I installed gtk3-engines-oxygen to no improvement...
Let me try a couple more things...
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

gtk3-engines-oxygen worked for me in VBox, and now abiword is nicer. I honestly am not a fan of the kde cursors, but it appears the plymouth theme and the system adjustments depend on the package, and it appears that I can't change the mouse cursor theme to the dmz one in the mouse settings. With the gtk3-engines-oxygen, lightdm looks a lot better. I'll edit this post once I install some xfce themes to see if they work.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Found another thing: the old LMDE Xfce had a number of custom actions in thunar by default, one of which being open as root. To add go to Edit -> Configure custom actions -> Click the plus sign -> Enter whatever name/description you like into the fields; the command is

gksu thunar %F
Then you have to select all of the filetypes in the other tab so that thunar can open anything as root.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

cwwgateway wrote:gtk3-engines-oxygen worked for me in VBox, and now abiword is nicer. I honestly am not a fan of the kde cursors, but it appears the plymouth theme and the system adjustments depend on the package, and it appears that I can't change the mouse cursor theme to the dmz one in the mouse settings. With the gtk3-engines-oxygen, lightdm looks a lot better. I'll edit this post once I install some xfce themes to see if they work.
I found that out as well...changing that.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Correction -- I did not yet remove the oxygen cursors (thanks for the tip on that CWW). I meant to but got sidetracked... :D

To change your cursors.

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
Now, I AM calling it a day.. :shock: SURE!.... :roll:
-----------------------------------

Custom Actions (another)

Edit Text as Root

gksu gedit %f
Others
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ThunarCustomActions

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=285354

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Th ... om_actions
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Thanks for the tips Gene. I just installed bluebird and the panel is themed correctly, but the menu and apps are not. There isn't anything in the gtkrc-2.0 or the gtkrc-xfce file that would cause it AFAIK, so it might have something to do with files in the usr directory or other non-home directories.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

After installing gtk2-engines-murrine (and its dependencies which included a the unico gtk3 engine IIRC), bluebird looks much better. I believe there are many themes that use the murrine engine, and some of the other gtk2-engines would be good to install (they aren't installed by debian by default AFAIK).
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I just checked out the live session in virtual box and I am having the same problem as Schoelje - the shutdown and restart buttons are "greyed out." It's honestly kind of strange. After installing, the "Would you like to restart now" prompt does restart.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

cwwgateway wrote:After installing, the "Would you like to restart now" prompt does restart.
Yes, but that's just live-installer issuing a reboot command. It has nothing to do with the greyed out buttons.
I still haven't found a solution for that.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I noticed the menus in gtk2 apps weren't rendered correctly with bluebird, so I installed all of the gtk2-engines to fix it (I don't know which one actually did it). The update-alternatives tip worked and now I have the correct cursors.

Edit: Guest Additions also didn't work for me, but when I manually install them the installer complains that they have already been installed in a different way and to uninstall those first.

Return to “Chat about Linux”