What would happen...

Chat about Linux in general

What would happen...

Postby xvedejas on Fri May 02, 2008 8:24 pm

...If I tried to upgrade Linux Mint to Hardy by installing the Ubuntu update-manager? Would it not let me, would it actually upgrade the system, or would it cause system failure?

Has anyone tried this? It seems like the insane twisted thing I would do for fun 8)
xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What would happen...

Postby exploder on Fri May 02, 2008 9:00 pm

You would probably end up with a real mess on your hands. In my opinion it is better to wait for Clem to finish work on Mint 5. Clem does very high quality work and I believe that he can produce a good, stable and complete system. I would not attempt to upgrade Daryna with Hardy packages.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What would happen...

Postby ed@Mint on Fri May 02, 2008 9:09 pm

I did it.
Because i needed a Hardy base to build mint packages for Elyssa.
Just modify your sources.list with hardy and Elyssa repos, then apt-get update apt-get upgrade apt-get dist-upgrade.
Didn't break much the system, i just had to reconfigure xorg and sound.

That said, as exploder says, it is still a quite 'dangerous' thing to do and, as Elyssa's release is just imminent, there is no real interest in doing that...

I have since reinstalled a 'normal' Daryna (KDE of course :) ) and ubuntu hardy as a separate os, because though it didn't break any major thing, there were tiny quirks here and there and i wanted to keep a stable fully functional system for my daily use...

A little more patience, xvedejas, just a little more patience :wink:
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Chat about Linux