What distro to try?

Chat about Linux in general

Re: What distro to try?

Postby AK Dave on Thu May 15, 2008 4:55 pm

I agree re: Sabayon. I've run and compared Kubuntu (both KDE 3.5 and Hardy/KDE4), Sabayon, and Mint KDE.

Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE bolted on top. Nothing special. Their focus seems to be on Gnome. Thats fine. Ubuntu is a fine distro.

Sabayon (I recommend the Lite CD x86_64 version) is indeed a big red KDE. Nice. Glitzy. On my laptop it did a great job of identifying all of my hardware and installing appropriate drivers. For example, it found my ATI Radeon, identified it specifically, and stepped me through configuring the restricted driver so that Compiz worked properly immediately upon boot. Very slick. But Mint-Elyssa installs with EnvyNG, which does the same thing. So unless you like red, its no big deal. It does have a very slick and polished look to it, but that is the desktop theme. I'm not a big fan of red, but I keep a Sabayon LiveCD in my collection as a "3D desktop demo" because of how well it does this. Sabayon = Eye Candy

Mint/Daryna KDE I'm new to, but I see it as a more solid merge of the two. At first blush, I said "green Kubuntu". But I like the features that it offers. Nicely done. I look forward to seeing Mint/Elyssa KDE. Mint KDE with EnvyNG and restricted video drivers on install could make me turn that Sabayon LiveCD into a frisbee.

Something to try? Give a look to OpenBSD. You spend some time with OpenBSD and you can easily turn yourself into a crypto geek.

Something else? Give a look to my roots, and try OS/2.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Or.... You could give a look at my roots and try an abacus! lol

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby GoustiFruit on Fri May 16, 2008 2:51 pm

You can try PCLinuxOS Gnome version. Very nice :-)
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Postby deki999 on Fri May 16, 2008 3:07 pm

PCLOS
deki999
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Fri May 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Belenix! - Great fun!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby 67GTA on Fri May 16, 2008 9:44 pm

Other than Mint, I can only recommend Mandriva/PCLOS. Opensuse is nice, but still has a lot of dependency problems with their repos. If you use the pacman repo to get restricted stuff, your install will soon start falling apart because the main and pacman repos have different versions of everything. If they would fix this, it would be number two next to Mint.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby eeezzzeee on Fri May 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Two that I have recently experimented with on an OLD laptop have been Vector and Tinyme(pclinuxos based). Both worked really well on my old laptop. I currently have tinyme running on it right now. It is a cool little distro, way light on resources, but still has synaptic to get any packages you want later. Has the pclinuxos config tools for wireless which got my dlink 650+ working with a little effort using native drivers, and as I am still pretty noobish with linux it was a learning experience.

But like another user said, if you want to try a distro without burning your precious cd's :wink: try a bunch of them out in virtual box first. Thats what I have been doing, I currently have 5 distros in my virtual box, but they all live in my mint world
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MagnusB on Sat May 17, 2008 9:12 am

I can't see why people prefer PCLOS over Mandriva, the only major difference is Synaptic/APT over urpmi, but I have more positive experience with Mandriva than I have with PCLOS, and in fact all the drak tools are from Mandriva (among other the network tools are drak , Xdrak etc).
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 67GTA on Sat May 17, 2008 10:19 am

MagnusB wrote:I can't see why people prefer PCLOS over Mandriva, the only major difference is Synaptic/APT over urpmi, but I have more positive experience with Mandriva than I have with PCLOS, and in fact all the drak tools are from Mandriva (among other the network tools are drak , Xdrak etc).

I always preferred Mandriva. I always feel obligated to suggest PCLOS along side Mandriva for some reason. I think people want to like PCLOS because of the multimedia/restricted stuff is included by default. I personally could never keep PCLOS running on any of my machines. Mandriva (mandrake) was my first :oops: I want to try the newest Mandriva, but haven't gotten around to downloading it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MagnusB on Sat May 17, 2008 10:22 am

I run the newest version on powerpack on both my laptop and my desktop, runs like a dream :) Still, have to burn out the beta ISO of Mint as well, just have been damn busy and tired lately :(
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 67GTA on Sat May 17, 2008 10:26 am

MagnusB, after thinking about your last post some more, I've decided to stop promoting PCLOS. Mandriva is just simply better. I always looked at it from the perspective of Ubuntu/Mint : Mandriva/PCLOS, but that really isn't the case. Mint makes Ubuntu better, and we are no longer copying Ubuntu's base. Mint has actually started moving away from Ubuntu, unlike PCLOS.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MagnusB on Sat May 17, 2008 10:43 am

Hehe, always happy to help :) Still, there are some differences, though, PCLOS is a rolling release, Mandriva is not, so PCLOS tends to be a bit more unstable. And I have no idea why they use Synaptic in KDE, they should really move on to Adept. And the GNOME version of PCLOS has been even more unstable (for me) than the KDE version.
Overall, I find the reason for using PCLOS are the Drak tools, and I find them more stable in Mandriva, so for me, the choice is obvious...
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby GoustiFruit on Wed May 21, 2008 4:47 am

The big plus for PCLinuxOS is the "rolling distro" part: it's really nice to be able to update a fully working and customized desktop to the most recent version. Instead of having to reinstall everything.
So all the distros you need to try are:
- Mint (obviously)
- Mandriva
- PCLinuxOS
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Andy Mack on Wed May 21, 2008 6:04 am

I've been trying loads of distro's recently, the top 5 as it were as well as a ton of other found through distrowatch.
Truth is Mint really is the only one that does everything I want and does it well.

One for the future for me is Debian Lenny when it final. I have a copy of Lenny Testing from april and it ran really nice. Trouble is wireless was an absolute pig to get going and even then it cut out on me every few seconds. Being a relative newbie I gave up trying to install nvidia driver so wiped the whole thing. I really like the way debian does things compared to ubuntu/mint but overall Mint wins it. I didn't like the debian forum either, new people asking a question hoping for a straightforward answer usually got one that gave a headache, some people there are all for freedom of choice but others look down on those who choose ubuntu/mint as if they are lepers, (bit harsh i know).

For a little distro puppy is just amazing it really is.
Andy Mack
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Wed May 21, 2008 6:43 am

Like so many others I've had LOADS of fun playing around with Slitaz
- Now there's a slim distro for you - ISO size 25MB - and that includes firefox - go figure?! :shock: .
- Still fun stuff like composite window drawing and stuff like that works out of the box! 8)
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby xvedejas on Sat May 31, 2008 11:29 pm

Well, I went out and got some CD's and have so far tried;

Debian
Arch
Sabayon
Crunchbang

The first two I couldn't get to work with my wireless cards, Sabayon is alright but I can't figure out how to install anything, and Crunchbang is really nice :D
xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Sakonim on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:57 am

Crunchbang? The distro names are getting sillier day by day.

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus
Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xvedejas on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:25 am

Sakonim wrote:Crunchbang? The distro names are getting sillier day by day.

It's named so because it's the work of one man and potentially unstable; it could make your computer go "Crunch.. BANG!".
xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Sakonim on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:18 pm

xvedejas wrote:
Sakonim wrote:Crunchbang? The distro names are getting sillier day by day.

It's named so because it's the work of one man and potentially unstable; it could make your computer go "Crunch.. BANG!".

I see. I guess I'll have to give it a go in that case. Cutting edge exploding linux distros sounds fun. :twisted:

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus
Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2

Postby linuxviolin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:34 am

Frugalware
Parsix
Mandriva Linux One 2008 Spring XFCE
GoblinX
Draco

P.S= Crunchbang is Ubuntu with Openbox. You have also Ubuntulite... (again Ubuntu + Openbox- LXDE)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Chat about Linux