What distro to try?

Chat about Linux in general

Re: What distro to try?

Postby Tony G on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:39 am

I'm running VirtualBox in Mint Darnya KCE. Based on this thread, I decided to try some of the distros discussed, including Mandriva One 2008 Spring.:shock:

Were it not for the strength of the Mint community (and I mean this--y'all are the best Linux community I've had the pleasure of meeting), I might be tempted. Until and unless PCLOS 2008 bests it, Mandriva 2008 easily trumps PCLOS 2007, and may be the first distro I've seen that takes a serious run at Mint.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby yamawho on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:51 am

Tony G wrote:I'm running VirtualBox in Mint Darnya KCE. Based on this thread, I decided to try some of the distros discussed, including Mandriva One 2008 Spring.:shock:

This distro has official support for my EeePC.

I have it installed on a 16GB sdhc card and it runs great 8)
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rivenought on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:18 am

I finally found the time to download and install Mandriva One Spring GNOME. I have previously only used the KDE version of Mandriva, so I really wanted to give the GNOME version a thorough test drive. Mandriva's newest 2008.1 offering is certainly a distro to drive around the block a few times. You have to see this to believe it.

Of course, Linux Mint is still my premier distro of choice and is the only distro to grace my main machine's hard drive. However, just for the sake of research and experimentation, I would definitely suggest Mandriva for someone who wants to try something a tad bit different.

An observation I have made is that Linux Mint holds its own and even surpasses the quality of these legacy and elder distros. Look back at the progress and adoption of Linux Mint and you will see how far it has come in so very short of a time. One cannot thank and congratulate Clem and his coding cohorts for a most excellent job well done.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MagnusB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:00 am

rivenought wrote:An observation I have made is that Linux Mint holds its own and even surpasses the quality of these legacy and elder distros.

In my opinion Mint still requires a bit more polish. If we compare it with Mandriva:
Live session:
Mandriva KEEPS changes you made during a live session on the install. So if you set up a network connection, for example installed a Windows driver with ndiswrapper, configured to connect to a AP with a key, then do a HDD install, on first boot you will connect to that AP (if you enabled start at boot). I would love to see this implemented in other distributions as well, it makes life so much easier for end users like me.
Wireless/Network:
Mandriva has some of the best network configuration utilities I have ever seen on any distribution (or OS for that matter). If you have a Broadcom card which is not supported by b43, but with ndiswrapper, you usually have to blacklist b43 and set ndiswrapper to be loaded at boot, then configure ndiswrapper. The drak tool does all this for you in an intuitive GUI, which leads to me using the GUI instead of the terminal. That is just one example.
Control Center:
The Mandriva control center is just brilliant. It offers a great way to perform maintenance, configure and install new software on your system. It is just as good as the SuSE YaST utilities (if you install gnome-main-menu in Mint you get, IMO, a better Control Center in Mint as well).
Package management:
Even if urpmi is a good package management system, I still prefer apt, as it is so much more versatile, but since people here seem to like gnom-app-install, they'll probably like urpmi as well.
I just love Mandriva, it's so intuitive and easy to use, an excellent distribution for anyone starting out with Linux.
And I am not saying Mint is crap, I think it is a very good distribution, but I won't say it surpasses "legacy & elder" distributions, from a newbie point of view it is just as good as Mandriva, and in some cases I think that Mandriva might be a *bit* better, other cases Mint might be a *bit* better.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Tony G on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:22 pm

By way of follow-up, I can report that, for me at least, Opera 9.5 beta 2 suffered from a bug in my VBox Mandriva Spring '08 (absent in Darnya KCE) that rendered Opera annoying to the point of unusable (scrolling up would not only bring me to the top of a page, but then, also, send the "back" signal repeatedly). I tried uninstalling Opera beta and installing the stable version, but then 9.27, though installed, wouldn't launch. Maybe now I get the virtues of apt. :)

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MagnusB on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 pm

I don't like Opera in Linux at all, seems to be unstable no matter what distribution I use, and it doesn't integrate with GTK or Qt. Firefox 3 on the other hand integrates nicely ith GTK, not sure about Qt though..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Tony G on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:31 pm

MagnusB wrote:I don't like Opera in Linux at all, seems to be unstable no matter what distribution I use, and it doesn't integrate with GTK or Qt. Firefox 3 on the other hand integrates nicely ith GTK, not sure about Qt though..

Points well taken. FF2 is just too bloated and slow for me (Opera blows it out of the water, and 9.5 beta syncs bookmarks). I think the comparison of Opera 9.5 final to FF3 final will be interesting indeed. (In fact, saying that, I'm not sure what my excuse is for not having FF3rc1 already, beyond my Elyssa VirtualBox).

Best regards,

Anthony

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby GoustiFruit on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:12 pm

For now the latest Opera 9.50 alphas crash a lot less than Firefox 3 releases ! Just try some Flash sites and you'll understand.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux