The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 SR1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grizzler

Re: The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6

Post by grizzler »

Schoelje wrote:I'm looking for a solution that'll bring more continuity: my own repository.
So, if someone knows where I can host that (as cheap as possible), just let me know it.
As you are from NL as well, how about Antagonist? They're about to launch new packages with unlimited storage and bandwidth for around five euro a month: https://www.antagonist.nl/blog/2013/01/ ... kondiging/

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but I've been a satisfied customer of their 'Basic' packages for quite some time. Actually, their announcement came just in time for me, as I'm also running a (small) repository and this is bound to reach the bandwidth limit of the Basic package in the not too distant future (don't underestimate the number of queries the update system of a Linux distro generates...).

To balance things a bit: http://www.ispam.nl/archives/31493/onge ... we-zakken/
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

grizzler wrote:
Schoelje wrote:I'm looking for a solution that'll bring more continuity: my own repository.
So, if someone knows where I can host that (as cheap as possible), just let me know it.
As you are from NL as well, how about Antagonist? They're about to launch new packages with unlimited storage and bandwidth for around five euro a month: https://www.antagonist.nl/blog/2013/01/ ... kondiging/

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but I've been a satisfied customer of their 'Basic' packages for quite some time. Actually, their announcement came just in time for me, as I'm also running a (small) repository and this is bound to reach the bandwidth limit of the Basic package in the not too distant future (don't underestimate the number of queries the update system of a Linux distro generates...).

To balance things a bit: http://www.ispam.nl/archives/31493/onge ... we-zakken/
Thanks!
I just sent them an email. Let's see what happens.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Unfortunately, they only offer shared web hosting which excludes the possibility for SSH.
I need to mirror the Debian repository and add my own stuff to it. In fact, this is the way LM works (I suppose).
This ensures being able to work with update packs, a philosophy that I like very much because it claims a higher stability grade than pointing directly to the Debian testing repositories. I know about the discussions on this forum, but from a maintainer point of view it's the most sane solution: best of both worlds.
I hoped this SP also offered VPS or a dedicated server, but they don't.
My search is not over yet.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Pity. I think the really cheep ones are probably no use if you need SSH.

When I was looking for a solution for my own setup, I also came across a provider that offers virtual private servers: http://www.versio.nl/cloudbox.php. Was a bit too much for me though.
ane champenois

Post by ane champenois »

Hello,

For the first time here just after installing the Unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 :D
Please be tolerant for my poor english :oops:

Just a question: when you say "Don't forget to choose a repository mirror when you're done installing: (...)"

I wonder which repository should I choose:
- mint repository ?
- Debian testing repository?
- another one?

It seems to me that you're searching for your own one...but meantime what should I do ?

I find it's a really good job nevertheless, thanks :wink:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

This is what was being referred to:

Don't forget to choose a repository mirror when you're done installing:

sudo mint-choose-debian-mirror
sudo apt-get update

The first command brings up Software Sources and lets you choose the closest/fastest repository to you. The second updates the repositories list.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ane champenois wrote:Hello,

For the first time here just after installing the Unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 :D
Please be tolerant for my poor english :oops:

Just a question: when you say "Don't forget to choose a repository mirror when you're done installing: (...)"

I wonder which repository should I choose:
- mint repository ?
- Debian testing repository?
- another one?

It seems to me that you're searching for your own one...but meantime what should I do ?

I find it's a really good job nevertheless, thanks :wink:
Welcome, Ane, to the Linux Mint forum!

I understand the confusion, and as tdockery97 explained, you know now how to choose the fastest available repository.
I am looking for a way to run my own repository (just like Linux Mint does), but that has nothing to do with choosing the fastest LM mirror.
I hope all went well?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

grizzler wrote:Pity. I think the really cheep ones are probably no use if you need SSH.

When I was looking for a solution for my own setup, I also came across a provider that offers virtual private servers: http://www.versio.nl/cloudbox.php. Was a bit too much for me though.
I'm in contact with dreamhost.com and that sounds very promising: rsync over ssh on a VPS.
I'll check that out this weekend.
17xeros

Post by 17xeros »

Schoelje wrote:
17xeros wrote:A comment about GRUB. LMDE KDE iso always installs grub despite un-ticking the box. xfce 1st time behaved and didn't install it. 2nd time it did.
Did you have that problem with the official LM iso's?
Hi Schoelje
No I didn't.

I forgot to mention another installation problem -pertaining to KDE moslty.
During a LMDE KDE LiveCD session the computer will frequently blip with this errors apearing in terminal (if running):
do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
during installation it appears non-stop and installation fails. I failed three times in two machines.
It however did not appear again and managed to install LMDE KDE when I added in the boot command line
xforcevesa noapic noacpi nomodest.
I added the same boot options in LMDE XFCE and although the error appeared here and there installation was OK.
It still does that ..blip though from time to time. The boot is a little unsual instead of sometimes istead of the bluish frame that appears in KDE boot there is a blue gradient strip in the bottom of the screen appearing gradually. Is that normal? I think fedora was (is?) booting like that (?).
dmesg shows :
[ 387.566552] show_signal_msg: 26 callbacks suppressed
[ 387.566562] xfce4-panel[3217]: segfault at a73e648a ip b636e3a9 sp bf91f774 error 4 in liboxygen-gtk.so[b62b3000+14b000]
[ 388.001937] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
[ 388.002015] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
[ 388.002072] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
[ 388.002131] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
[ 388.002188] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
[ 388.002247] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
[ 388.002304] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
[ 388.002333] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
[ 388.002362] do_IRQ: 0.75 No irq handler for vector (irq -1)
if that can give a clue.
Anyway it doesn't seem to impede LMDE XFCE's function.
Schoelje wrote:
17xeros wrote:XFCE/KDE repositories.
If Linux Mint is not going to support XFCE and KDE -which I understand is the stimulus for this project- thus it's not going to provide updates of the DEs shouldn't be something in the sources.list ?
I'm looking for a solution that'll bring more continuity: my own repository.
http://www.50phosting.co.uk are cheap but I don't know if they have what you need for the repositories.
Schoelje wrote:
17xeros wrote:Maybe a "README" along the iso for "LMDE XFCE official" users about few things that are different to ease their switch over? Obviously enthusiasts and above (the IT knowledge ladder) have no need of it I presume.
That's very low on my priority list at the moment, but I don't mind if you write one :wink:
I will help with what I can do.

wayne128 wrote:.....the shared folders work for giving 'everybody' read access to the shared folder....
Hi wayne128,
"Shared Folders" I thought oh! I've missed that one. It's only few weeks I installed xfce 4.10 in LMDE XFCE official from xfcenext repositories(http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21324) and 4.8 doesn't have that entry in "system". I've set it up and will try it with another pc tomorrow. It's easy and straight forward. Thanks! :-)
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

FWIW, on my Debian Wheezy update of cups, this message came up:
cups (1.5.3-2.7) unstable; urgency=low

In order to mitigate a privilege escalation from the lpadmin to root
(CVE-2012-5519), the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf configuration file is split
in two configuration files:

* /etc/cups/cupsd.conf can be edited by members of the lpadmin group
through the cups web interface;
* /etc/cups/cups-files.conf can only be edited by root;

Many sensitive configuration statements can now only be set in
cups-files.conf. No statements have been moved automatically. Please
check the respective manpages.

-- Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org> Tue, 04 Dec 2012 12:13:14 +0100
Hopefully this might help in clearing up the problems with cups.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Anyone know :?:

Has the weather panel plugin (the 4.10 one) searching (locations) been fixed. The Xfce site said planed for mid-Feb. Otherwise using multiple plugins (locations) don,t work. And if only 1 you can't change the default config.

Wondering
J.Jay
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

re: cups-pdf
what is the connection between this pkg and being connected to the internet? i ask this because tonight i couldn't update (neither uninstall it for that matter) this pkg connected. it was always stalling at

Code: Select all

[ ok ] Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
only disconnecting from the net i managed to get it first updated and then uninstalled

Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:re: cups-pdf
what is the connection between this pkg and being connected to the internet? i ask this because tonight i couldn't update (neither uninstall it for that matter) this pkg connected. it was always stalling at

[ ok ] Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
only disconnecting from the net i managed to get it first updated and then uninstalled

It seems to look for a networked printer, and can't find it. That's when it hangs.
Disconnecting from the network prevents the search and the install can finish successfully.
At least, that's what I think happens.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

17xeros wrote:I forgot to mention another installation problem -pertaining to KDE moslty.
During a LMDE KDE LiveCD session the computer will frequently blip with this errors apearing in terminal (if running):
Does this explain/solve the irq issue: https://pygospa.wordpress.com/2009/10/2 ... -pcie-port

17xeros wrote:http://www.50phosting.co.uk are cheap but I don't know if they have what you need for the repositories.
Thanks, I'll check that out.
17xeros

Post by 17xeros »

Schoelje wrote:
17xeros wrote:I forgot to mention another installation problem -pertaining to KDE moslty.
Does this explain/solve the irq issue: https://pygospa.wordpress.com/2009/10/2 ... -pcie-port
I didn't understand a thing.
googled 'debian how to change kernel options',
went there: http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFAQ,
found this: Where is the kernel configuration file?
The kernel configuration file of Debian Official kernel are available in /boot, named after the kernel release, like /boot/config-2.6.18-6-486, or /boot/config-$(uname -r).
Opened that file. two lines contain the term 'mmconfig'
this: CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG=y
and that: # CONFIG_PCI_GOMMCONFIG is not set
I added a # infront of the former, saved the file.
Rebooted.
Same as usual.
Anyway I don't know if it's an important issue or not. The system works.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Just noticed no firewall (ufw) installed.

gene@lmdexfce-rc:~$ sudo ufw status
[sudo] password for gene: 
sudo: ufw: command not found

Installed ufw,

gene@lmdexfce-rc:~$ apt install ufw
and enabled

gene@lmdexfce-rc:~$ sudo ufw status
gene@lmdexfce-rc:~$ sudo ufw enable
Firewall is active and enabled on system startup
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

GeneC wrote:Just noticed no firewall (ufw) installed.
Check!
All these things will be included in the SR.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks Schoelje

This is proving to be an awesome distro. Its my Main OS right now (4 others installed).
Fastest boot, trouble free. Everything I use just works right. Looks Good..
I do add a LOT, (just added the latest Liquorix -- 3.7.0-2.dmz.1-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit), and Nvidia 313.18).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it's indeed a beautiful piece of art :D kudos

note: still regarding cups #691031 (oct last year) describes exactly the same problem
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote:it's indeed a beautiful piece of art :D kudos

note: still regarding cups #691031 (oct last year) describes exactly the same problem
I got it installed for the next SR. I hope most problems will be over then.

If there's not too many issues left, I'll build a SR next weekend.
So, you've all got one week to pass all LMDE Xfce issues to me :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux”