The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 SR1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwisher

Re: The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 SR1

Post by kwisher »

Great distro!! Just have a couple of things to report.
1) Cannot change the mouse pointer theme to anything besides the installed default.

2) Mumble client will not run. I receive the following error message when starting from terminal.

Code: Select all

G15LCDEngineUnix: Unable to connect to G15Daemon.
CELT bitstream 8000000b from /usr/lib/mumble/libcelt0.so.0.7.0
Locale is en_US
Database SQLite: "3.7.13" 
Overlay: Listening on "/home/kevin/.MumbleOverlayPipe" 
Thanks for your work on this distro.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

kwisher wrote:Great distro!! Just have a couple of things to report.
1) Cannot change the mouse pointer theme to anything besides the installed default.
Hi kwisher....

To change mouse cursor

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
choose cursor

Note: Oxygen cursors are supplied.
If you like the old default LMDE/XFCE (gnome) cursors (White and Black)
install.

dmz-cursor-theme
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Gene, still no luck selecting any of the installed mouse themes along with installing the gnome themes.

EDIT: I should have noted in my OP that this is with the 32-bit spin.
Last edited by kwisher on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

That's odd.. :cry:

What happens when you run=

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
My output (XFCE-SID ..I only have DMZ cursor icons on this install, not the oxygen cursors also in xfcelmde-unoficial)

gene@zordon:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
[sudo] password for gene: 
There are 2 choices for the alternative x-cursor-theme (providing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme).

Selection    Path                                     Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
  0            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme   90        auto mode
* 1            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme   30        manual mode
  2            /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme   90        manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 
You DO have to logout/in for the change to effect.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

It seems I can now switch to the DMZ Black but not the Adwaita theme. This is on a 32-bit VM I installed at work for testing. My OP was related to a physical install of 32-bit on a spare laptop. It also appears Mumble is working in this VM?? I will do another clean install on the laptop when I get home this evening and report back.
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

I'm running this since yesterday, man thats a awesome version you have made schoelje, can't understand the decision this becomes not official.
Keep up the good work
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Weather plugin...

Must have been updated (earlier then 'xfce.org' web site said) have working on a debian testing box (boy was I suprised :mrgreen: ). So not sure if updated thru testing or I got lucky on a distro hop :lol:

The plugin preferences look totally re-worked. :wink: Still not on in LMDE (I'll try switching to testing instead up UPack system)

J.Jay
Sorry forgot old one wouldn't search location (auto-configured to ISP I think. And adding a second one would auto-config (you could change location name but the coordinates
would stay same)!
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

weather plugin...
not updated thru testing. :(
Added the xfcenext repo (plus keyring). Updated 'xfce4-terminal' and 'xfce4-weather-plugin' :D

J.Jay
P.S. question if add xfcenext repo, What is better staying with UPack system OR adding on to a source list pointing to testing??
Thank You
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

jjaythomas wrote:weather plugin...
Added the xfcenext repo (plus keyring). Updated 'xfce4-terminal' and 'xfce4-weather-plugin' :D

J.Jay
P.S. question if add xfcenext repo, What is better staying with UPack system OR adding on to a source list pointing to testing??
Thank You
If you prefer stability over the latest packages, go for the UP-way. If you need the latest and don't mind breakages once in a while (because you know what to do), go to the dark side :)
widget

Post by widget »

jjaythomas wrote:weather plugin...

J.Jay
Thank You
Just to reinforce the suggestion to stick with the UP system;
You are using a version of Xfce that is, according to the Xfce folks, unstable.
The DE is a huge part of your total packages.
If, or when, something breaks it is nice to know that part of your system is stable.
Using the UP system should keep the core of your system stable.

That said I run testing and Sid as my production OS. Thing is that I have both installed using a common /home. This has worked, starting during the Squeeze testing freeze, worked so that I have had at least one of them working at all times. Both also broke a few times and I am pretty careful about avoiding that. That said, there has only been 5 days, all at one time, in that time when they were both broken and I had to fall back on my Squeeze install.

LMDE takes that kind of risk out of using Debian testing. It is, however, going to be up to date enough to run Xfce Next or at least I would think so.

We actually got Xfce4.10 in testing but it was down graded after about 2 weeks because of panel problems. I had 4 installs with it 4.10, all on the same hardware, and 2 of them worked great. The other 2 did not.

The problem continues to be that the stuff on the panel that is supposed to be anchored on the right end of the panel is not. It all slides to the left. Then you open windows and the windows list opens on the left pushing them back where they belong. This is usable but extremely iritating if you use several work stations as I do (6) and the launchers and so forth are not in the same place on all of them due to the number of windows open on each work station.

Thus Wheezy is going to release with 4.8. 4.10 will be in backports pretty quickly I suspect. Jessie will probably come in with 4.10 but don't bet on it on my word.

I don't use the improvements in the 4.10 panel so am not real concerned about it. I have been pulling Thunar from the Debian experimental repo for some time now though. That is a huge, to me, improvement.

This LMDE Xfce CE is great for me because I can see what the whole Xfce4.10 is looking like. Compared to the times I have pulled it whole onto Wheezy it works like a charm.

Really think that Xfce is headed the right way. The panel changes are not real radical. The only really new thing is rows in one panel instead of needing more panels for the same thing. I only need one so that is no biggy for me.

Combine that with the ability to have the launcger horizontal when the panel is virtical is pretty big and, to me, a bit revolutionary.

I have always thought that Xfce would be better on a touch screen than the gimicks provided by Unity and Gnome Shell. The new panel improvements enhance that capability greatly while still being just as functional as ever on a non touch screen, non mobile or laptop.

Really enjoying this project here. Looks great and seems to work great.

Would really hope that you will keep us up to date on what is happening as you are using that Xfce Next repo. Am afraid I may have to have another install of this just so I can do that too.
perduta

Post by perduta »

Yes I tried this and it' really quite nice but ultimately I have two problems with it:
1. No matter what I do I cannot disable the screen saver.
2. A tool I need crashes with segmentation fault but it works just fine on the main stream Mint.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

perduta wrote:Yes I tried this and it' really quite nice but ultimately I have two problems with it:
1. No matter what I do I cannot disable the screen saver.
2. A tool I need crashes with segmentation fault but it works just fine on the main stream Mint.
1. I see if I can do something about that when I have the time.
2. What tool are you talking about and what did you already try to solve it?
perduta

Post by perduta »

Schoelje wrote: 1. I see if I can do something about that when I have the time.
You are very proactive and positive support :)

The tool I used can be installed with

sudo apt-get install glade
then in a new file from the selection of 'TopLevel' widgets simply click to create a main window and it crashes with segmentation fault.
This it does not do on the other Mint release that I tried.
BTW thank you for choosing mousepad as the text editor. Both pluma and gedit refuse to save the edited file when it resides on a virtual box shared folder whereas mousepad works fine and I would not have found this tool if it had not been the default in your version :)

p.s. however don't worry about it because I am using a different solution now.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

widget wrote:................................
We actually got Xfce4.10 in testing but it was down graded after about 2 weeks because of panel problems. I had 4 installs with it 4.10, all on the same hardware, and 2 of them worked great. The other 2 did not.

The problem continues to be that the stuff on the panel that is supposed to be anchored on the right end of the panel is not. It all slides to the left. Then you open windows and the windows list opens on the left pushing them back where they belong. This is usable but extremely iritating if you use several work stations as I do (6) and the launchers and so forth are not in the same place on all of them due to the number of windows open on each work station.

Really think that Xfce is headed the right way. The panel changes are not real radical. The only really new thing is rows in one panel instead of needing more panels for the same thing. I only need one so that is no biggy for me.
Hey Widget.
I am not sure we are talking about the same issue, but I think so.
The problem continues to be that the stuff on the panel that is supposed to be anchored on the right end of the panel is not. It all slides to the left. Then you open windows and the windows list opens on the left pushing them back where they belong. T
I dont think this is a bug, but a "feature".. :roll:

To keep applets orientated to the right of the panel, make sure you have the associated spacer panel plugin properties box 'EXPAND" check box selected. Not sure if this is your issue, but I noticed that if not selected all applets normally on the right migrate to the left.

I have been using 4.10 from Experimental on my SID install since last summer, with no issues.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

perduta wrote:
Schoelje wrote: 1. I see if I can do something about that when I have the time.
You are very proactive and positive support :)

The tool I used can be installed with

sudo apt-get install glade
then in a new file from the selection of 'TopLevel' widgets simply click to create a main window and it crashes with segmentation fault.
This it does not do on the other Mint release that I tried.
BTW thank you for choosing mousepad as the text editor. Both pluma and gedit refuse to save the edited file when it resides on a virtual box shared folder whereas mousepad works fine and I would not have found this tool if it had not been the default in your version :)

p.s. however don't worry about it because I am using a different solution now.
Well, I found a workaround for glade, but I haven't had time to look at the screensaver issue.
The crash is a GTK message and that made me think: what if it's caused by the oxygen theme. So, I changed it to Clearlooks and hey presto: no crashes!
Just experiment with the themes you like until it works.
perduta

Post by perduta »

Schoelje wrote: The crash is a GTK message and that made me think: what if it's caused by the oxygen theme. So, I changed it to Clearlooks and hey presto: no crashes!
Just experiment with the themes you like until it works.
Confirmed... one more problem solved. Thank you :)
I will now try to uninstall any themes that malfunction and am happy to be using LMDE again!
widget

Post by widget »

GeneC wrote:
To keep applets orientated to the right of the panel, make sure you have the associated spacer panel plugin properties box 'EXPAND" check box selected. Not sure if this is your issue, but I noticed that if not selected all applets normally on the right migrate to the left.

I have been using 4.10 from Experimental on my SID install since last summer, with no issues.
That is extremely interesting. I have never looked at separator properties for some reason. I see that the ones here (Debian Wheezy with Xfce4.8) do not have that checked and it causes no problem in the 4.8 version.

Now you have completely screwed me up. I have 3 external drives that are used for different types of things. One is exclusively for loaning to people wanting to try out Linux. The other 2 are for all sorts of testing. Basically temporary installs for what ever purpose I have at the moment. I generally have a lot of things I am interested in. There is even a list of pending tests.

Now here you come along and cause another entry on that list.

Thank a bunch. Look forward to playing with it.

Acually have a pair of partitions that I am done with and may move this up on the list further.

Not a real high priority but sometimes they get jumped up just because I don't feel like doing more complex things (that require me to think) at the time.

Usually have an install that can simply be used as I am done with it but don't have one right now that would work. I do, however, happen to have a Wheezy Netboot install disk (all 21mB of it) on a DVD RW in my drive at this time. About to over right it with something else. May just use it again first.

I am fascinated with Xfce. Used Gnome from when I started using LInux. Then it started getting strange. The degradation of Nautilus was the final straw. Set up an install that had about a dozen DEs on it (Wheezy) a couple years ago, early in the Wheezy testing cycle. Hadn't looked at Xfce with 4.8 at all. 4.6 had not impressed me. 4,8 is great.

4.10 looks even better. The addition, by default, of the "delete" option and tabbed browsing in Thunar just nails it for me. Simply great.

The ability to put a panel vertically with horizontal applets makes the Xfce panel completely, to me, a much better candidate for all sorts of computing devices than, say, Gnome Shell or Unity. Xfce will easily do the core things they will do for a touch screen while still being functional on a non touch screen.

It is that bar type launcher that is the main feature of both of those. Everything else is just shiny toys. And they have removed most other functionality from their panels.

I keep telling folks that the Xfce panel is what the Gnome panel wanted to grow up to be. 4.10 seems to pretty well prove that to me.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

widget wrote:
GeneC wrote:

That is extremely interesting. I have never looked at separator properties for some reason. I see that the ones here (Debian Wheezy with Xfce4.8) do not have that checked and it causes no problem in the 4.8 version.
I don't have any install with 4.8 anymore. I believe that the "EXPAND" option was a default part of the 'window list' applet in 4.8, so if you added a window list applet (who doesn't.. 8) ). It would work by default.
Not sure, but I believe the thinking with 4.10 was that folks could have a short taskbar (if they wished) by unchecking the "automatically increase the length" option in settings. Just more options to play with and customize to your own personal preferrences... :wink:

EDIT:
Yep!
From xfce 4.10 Tour
http://www.xfce.org/about/tour
Window Buttons

The window buttons plugin no longer expands, which makes the plugin positioning more flexible. In order to restore the previous behavior please add a transparent separator plugin with the Expand option enabled just behind the window buttons plugin.
Yes, I agree the XFCE taskbar is everything the good old Gnome 2.3's was and more..
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

GeneC wrote:The window buttons plugin no longer expands, which makes the plugin positioning more flexible. In order to restore the previous behavior please add a transparent separator plugin with the Expand option enabled just behind the window buttons plugin.
That's what I did when I made the unofficial LMDE Xfce...and I thought I was being clever by "hacking" the panel... :)
widget

Post by widget »

Ok. I give in.

Relabled the partitions and am going to install Wheezy (that will make 6 installs of that) just to see what it looks like, now, with the full 4.10.

All the others just use 4.8 with Thunar 1.6.2. I don't really need the extra stuff on the new panel but this way I have something I can play with just to be fun.

Had one install that I had 3 panels (4.8) on. One vertical in the center of the screen and then 2 horizontal that were centered too. Gave me 4 quadrents on the screen. Silly but it looked cool. Would work if I had a 46" monitor.

Return to “Chat about Linux”