OpenSolaris

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

OpenSolaris

Post by exploder »

Has anyone taken a look at OpenSolaris? I had a look using the Live CD on two different pc's. I could not get Networking started on either machine and it could not recognize the onboard intel sound on my new machine. The network cards on both machines was recognized so most likely I needed to configure something to get online. There is not very much documentation available yet unfortunately

What did work worked well. I thought the artwork was good, everything looked nice! The default set of applications was good, except OpenOffice was not installed by default. I am guessing that there was not room for OpenOffice on the Live CD. I noticed Gimp was version 2.4.1, a little out of date but not bad considering when the os was built. Firefox was the current stable version, too bad I couldn't use it.

OpenSolaris looks to have some real potential and is very nice for their first stable release. Hardware support needs more work if they want to be main stream but I was still impressed by what I saw. I was surprised at how well the Live CD worked for being their first release. I am going to keep my eye on OpenSolaris, future releases are sure to be even better.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: OpenSolaris

Post by lakehousetech »

I just downloaded it and burned it yesterday. I'm gonna check it out tonight. Sounds like it's nice.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Tried it out, but had same issues I had with all BSD flavors I have tried, mainly drivers... Still, if the Linux drivers get ported, it could have some real potential... I might also take a look at BeleniX OpenSolaris when I get the time...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

MagnusB wrote:I might also take a look at BeleniX OpenSolaris when I get the time...
New fun things to fill up my hard drive with! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Has anyone of you tried Nexenta? - it sounds interesting in theory, combining Open Solaris with Debian and Ubuntu.
I think I'll take it for a test drive as well...
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

I've not tried OpenSolaris. The last I Solaris I used was Solaris 10. The only problem I had was networking. Not a wide range of cards supported. I put a 3com 3c905 card in all the boxes & they worked quite well.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There must be interest in OpenSolaris because it shot up to number 2 on Distrowatch today. I was curious!
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

I grabbed it, won't boot in vbox and I lost interest in burning it. After hearing this I will most likely just delete it.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Solaris comes with a very interesting feature called dtrace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6chLw2ao ... re=related

It's quite advanced and it's not something you'd necessarilly be interested in as a desktop user. It's quite powerful though and it'd be nice to see that supported in Linux.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Very nice video overview of OpenSolaris: http://java.sun.com/javaone/sf/media_sh ... 18&type=c1

Clem.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

...and ZFS is interesting to say the least!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I just got my opensolaris CD today in the mail. I requested a free CD out of curiosity. I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop with AMD/Nvidia hardware. I was impressed with the auto configuration(or so it seemed) of drivers and setup. Almost nothing worked. My nvidia graphics cards/monitor res were the only thing that worked correctly on all three machines. I could not get an internet connection. Sound wouldn't work. CD drives spun 3 times faster than I've ever heard. I thought they were all going to take flight. All this despite the fact that the driver utility said most of the drivers were working. My printers were configured, but wouldn't print(all HP). Too bad the CD isn't rewritable :D
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Agreed, but it is clean and I can see utilizing it at work for some of our workstations in the lab. It's a start anyway. They have put a lot of effort into it over the past year, and we should continue to see it get better and better.

Return to “Chat about Linux”