The new GNOME Classic session

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

The new GNOME Classic session

Post by xenopeek »

Wep Upd8 has a quick look at the new GNOME Classic session, that is available from the GNOME Testing PPA: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/a-quick- ... assic.html.

Though I was interested to have a look at it, I felt it was a pretty limited experience and to me pales in comparison with Cinnamon. It's perhaps closer to MATE in the way it looks, though it is very much different. So no surprises, I'll be staying on Cinnamon, which I'm even more impressed with after having seen this :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: The new GNOME Classic session

Post by tdockery97 »

If they do it only half right, maybe it will save their behinds. Gnome Shell is losing ground fast. There is already at least one Fedora package maintainer proposing that Fedora 19 use Cinnamon as their default desktop. I don't think it's likely, but if they did that, Debian would be about the only large distro remaining that is using Gnome Shell as default.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote:Wep Upd8 has a quick look at the new GNOME Classic session, that is available from the GNOME Testing PPA: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/a-quick- ... assic.html.
Thanks for the link. Way to go Mint Cinnamon!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
nomko

Post by nomko »

xenopeek wrote:It's perhaps closer to MATE in the way it looks
When i saw the first screenshot that shows the application menu, i first thought they rebuild MATE to look like the old Gnome2 menu structure.

Although at general it does looks good, at some point i think the old Gnome2 lay-out will feel rather outdated compared to MATE and Cinnamon. Even Unity and Gnome3 feels much more modern and up-to-date.

I think this lay-out will draw users who can't say farewell to the old Gnome2 lay-out. I use Mint 14 + Cinnamon and i must say that Cinnamon 1.6 is much better than Cinnamon 1.4, i'll stick to Cinnamon 1.6.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The default MATE has two panels and the Applications | Places | System menu, it's the customization done by Linux Mint that turns it into one panel with one integrated menu...
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

xenopeek wrote:The default MATE has two panels and the Applications | Places | System menu, it's the customization done by Linux Mint that turns it into one panel with one integrated menu...
Fortunately the MATE Panels can be easily customized, so two (or even more) panels and the 'original' Gnome 2/MATE tri-Menu can be set up easily.

The new 'Gnome Classic' session is a half bottomed try to give people what they want, but imho it's primitive, unconfigurable and relies on some primitive Gnome 'extensions'. The old fallback aka Gnome-panel' was much better in regards of customisation although the 'thou shall not alter our brand identity' Gnome devs hid the configurability behind alt-rightclick ( mutter) or ctrl-alt-rightclick (compiz) because otherwise their targetted ultra idiot users could "change things unintentionally" or just because the main Gnome 3 Designer! hates configurabilty.

To Quote JonMcCann here: Each time I see “Remove from panel” when I right click on the notification area or the menu system I weep and my mascara runs and god is it awful.

The Gnome guys also said, they dropped the fallback mode in 3.8 because there were not enough gnome maintainers to maintain it, but now they seem to have enough maintainers to maintain their new extensions. Ridiculous, like anything that comes from the braindead Gnome Shell team.

They lie to everyone (Vincent Untz 2010: Gnome Panel will exist throughout the whole lifespan of Gnome 3....) just to shove their "Do it our way,we know better what you want than yourself" shell atrocity up or down a user's body opening of their choice.

To get better insight on the twisted and confused thoughts of the main Gnome devs/designers,I recommend to read this article: http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/ ... in-threes/

H.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

One of the Comments on that link.
"This situation was very common during Gnome 3 updates. Lots of removed features, no dev communication, no consideration for users, etc. I was using Gnome for years, but with Gnome 3, devs have gone too far and I didn’t want to be treated this way as a user and an active bug reporter. It was clear to me that I would never use Gnome again."
"Apparently in the view of these devs, users are merely walking billboards for their ‘brand presence’, to hell with what the users actually want. You’re expected to change your way of working every 6 months just because these devs want to impose their way of working on all their users. Developers decide what is Good (with a big G), without any possible customization by the user."
Kind of sums up the feeling and perception I'm getting reading about Gnome 3.
Thanks for sharing the link. And even Clem is quoted about the lunacy of the Gnome 3 developers.

Return to “Chat about Linux”