"Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)"

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Re: "Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)"

Post by skywolfblue »

So these rolling releases (or monthly releases), are they updater programs? ("updater programs", does that make any sense? I'm kinda new to linux so I'm still not entirely sure on how things operate here, in Windows or Mac there are installation programs that can update old programs. From what I've seen the software "updater" in mint merely downloads a new version of programs in their entirety (rather then update an existing one), and there's no downloading OS version updates?)

Or would you have to download and install a whole 1GB .iso, and re-install from square one?

Because if it's the latter, ew. I can see doing it yearly, but monthly? Yikes!
viking777

Post by viking777 »

They are updates, new versions of an installed program. I have never heard of 'updaters' as you describe them so I don't really know what you mean The whole point of rolling releases is that, in theory at least, you never have to reinstall again, so no need to download new iso's. True enough rolling releases can involve large downloads at times, they are not good for those with limited internet connections if that is what you are thinking about. If you are in that situation point releases are a better bet. As I understand the proposal Ubuntu would cater for both camps rolling release for those who want it and long term support for those who don't.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Since the ubuntu conference where they discussed Rick Spencer's proposal, Mark Shuttleworth (the leader of ubuntu) has laid out a refinement in the proposal that he feels would be best to consider (based on the feedback they received)...I suspect they will probably go with this new plan instead...

Everything would basically remain as it is now, except the support on interim releases (6 month ones) would be reduced...And the Rolling Release will not be the mainstream ubuntu but rather remain "development branch" available to all who prefer a rolling release...ubuntu name and number would always stay the same (example 13.04 "raring ringtail") so that no upgrading would be needed..you just install and ROLL continuously from one ubuntu release to the next... :D

To answer skywolfblue's question: in a rolling release you just keep getting updates (you don't upgrade at all) and those updates contain changes to the various components of the distro, including newer software as well...

If they adopt Mark's refined proposal, it probably won't affect linux mint at all as i'd imagine that Clem would stick with the 6 month releases...though i suppose he could offer the optional rolling model from ubuntu's development base if he wanted to and assuming it would work with what he would want to add to it on his side...but perhaps that would be too difficult...(in which case you'd have to use ubuntu directly if you wanted the rolling release option they would offer)...

In a "Rolling Release" you receive updates every day which make changes, rather then waiting 6 months to do an "upgrade" so your system is always going through changes...

This is from the summary of his proposal:

Basically, the mentioned proposals would structure Ubuntu as:

Ubuntu LTS
Ubuntu Interim releases (between LTSes, supported 7 months)
rolling-release model for the Ubuntu development release (keeping a singular name, thus users are able to continuously use the development version without a traditional upgrade process)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I wonder if I'm the only one who hates constant updates? It reminds me too much of Windows with the constant nagging to update things. Loving my Chromebook, I don't even have to think about updates. Also makes me appreciate Debian and the very rare updates :-)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Ubuntu LTS
Ubuntu Interim releases (between LTSes, supported 7 months)
rolling-release model for the Ubuntu development release (keeping a singular name, thus users are able to continuously use the development version without a traditional upgrade process)
Well given that we are dealing here with the team that thinks that Amazon search results in the dash are a great idea, launcher 'dodge windows' is too complicated and the hud is the future of linux menus, then I suppose we shouldn't be in the least bit surprised at what drivel they come up with next. But even taking that into account, who, in the name of all the Gods, do they think will be interested in a point release with a 7 month support cycle? Who? Really? :shock:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

KBD47 wrote:I wonder if I'm the only one who hates constant updates? It reminds me too much of Windows with the constant nagging to update things. Loving my Chromebook, I don't even have to think about updates. Also makes me appreciate Debian and the very rare updates :-)
I know what you mean...having run windows 7 for a while on my new laptop before i wiped it out and installed ubuntu as i always do on a new computer...
However, i am running 13.04 development for the past 2 months, and of course, it is "rolling" (the only change proposed is to eliminate point release name and number changes so that you could smoothly go into the next version without upgrading like one would need to do now on development)...

I get updates daily, but they are small batches which only take but a few minutes to install...i boot up in the morning, the new updates alert comes up within about 3o minutes, take 5 minutes and done for the day...

Meanwhile, the reward is i get all the changes (including new software) without needing to re-install every 6 months...so to me, it is worth that small "trade-off"...even on a point release, you get many updates...maybe not every day, but frequently, so not a big difference, really...

It's not like LMDE on debian testing....it has very refined quality control before the updates are sent to you, and as a previous LMDE user, i am finding it to be far more reliable then that was for me...

Regarding the 7 months of coverage on the 6 month releases, that is not written in stone, by the time it is adopted that could be modified...though i am sure they will reduce from the current 18 months...

Return to “Chat about Linux”