My experience with elive Gem

Chat about Linux in general

My experience with elive Gem

Postby badmotor on Wed May 28, 2008 8:47 pm

... which is not really that interesting, but I thought I would share anyway.

I was lured in by the eye candy on their webite (as you are), and paid for a download - begun the install. After a little trial and error with the graphics options, I had it up and running and was very excited. what a fantastic looking distro!

I then begun to try and access the internet, setup my network config (... love how Mint just 'makes it work') etc etc, many frustrated hours later (and forum posting/google searching) and I put it in the 'too hard' basket and reinstalled Mint.

It was like 'coming home' :D Anyone else use elive?
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: My experience with elive Gem

Postby ed@Mint on Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Well i did give it a shot.
I too were impressed by their website.
When trying out the live cd... i wasn't so much impressed. I mean for one distro basing all it's argumentation over eye candy i was waiting for something a bit better than that.
Those guys are good advertisers :p
I didn't test it extensively but i had no problem with it and didn't find anything that would make me want to use it.
End of my story with eLive.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby donec on Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Those post pretty much echo my experience also except that when I paid the $5 donation required to download my browser crashed and I was not able to get what I paid for. After some emails and some post on their forum I finally got an invitation to download it. Once I got it and tried it I found it just was not as user friendly as Mint or Mepis.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ed@Mint on Thu May 29, 2008 5:35 pm

donec wrote:paid the $5 donation required to download

:shock: :?
Maybe that was some time ago but i didnt see anything like that..
In libro veritas

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby donec on Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm

ed@Mint wrote:
donec wrote:paid the $5 donation required to download

:shock: :?
Maybe that was some time ago but i didnt see anything like that..

Ordered on May 5, 2008 finally downloaded May 21, 2008.
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ed@Mint on Thu May 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Really strange.. i downloaded it last week and didn't have to pay a penny..
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby badmotor on Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 pm

I couldn't download without doing a donation either...
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ed@Mint on Thu May 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Click on the download link here and see : http://www.elivecd.org/Download/download
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby badmotor on Thu May 29, 2008 11:23 pm

ed@Mint wrote:Click on the download link here and see : http://www.elivecd.org/Download/download

What the! ... that's not the page I saw.........

edit: just tried to find that same link on their website and couldn't get to it. Not that I mind paying $5 for something, but a little annoyed that I only used it for a couple of hours and it didn't work out (couldn't connect it to the internet). Oh well.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby donec on Fri May 30, 2008 5:57 pm

ed@Mint wrote:Click on the download link here and see : http://www.elivecd.org/Download/download

Ed where and how did you find that link?
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ed@Mint on Fri May 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Well... On their official website, just scroll down the page and click on 'Download eLive' :wink:
I downloaded it on May, 21st.
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Sakonim on Fri May 30, 2008 8:05 pm

I'm thinking some of you guys were scammed.

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus
Sakonim
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ed@Mint on Fri May 30, 2008 9:28 pm

Sakonim wrote:I'm thinking some of you guys were scammed.

I don't know...
For instance, the first days following the new Symphony OS release, you had to make a small donation to download it. It later became available as a free download, but in this case, this was stated clearly on their website.
It may be that the guys at eLive did the same thing but in a more obscure way...
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:59 am

http://www.elivecd.org/Download/Stable
That link is what I get when I pressed on download, where they won't let you download unless you "donate". That is why I haven't used yet, I don't mind paying for software, but claiming it to be free (as in beer and speech) software (ref Distrowatch, listed as Price: Free), but corner you with a "donation".
Also, on the link I provided it say:
Elive is free and made with pleasure for your pleasure, but free does not mean "no cost" . I spend all my time developing Elive. It is my choice. Your choice is whether or not downloading Elive is worth a donation. I have not put a minimum donation, because I realize that many of you are students with very limited resources. I thank You for showing interest in Elive, and hope to see you in #elive on IRC!

But clearly the minimum "donation" is $5. They should be more clear with these things. And the link ed found is probably not meant for the public, I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. Until they are more honest I will stay away from em.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ed@Mint on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:28 am

:shock: Welcome to X-Files :lol:
MagnusB, when i click the link you gave, it is the exact same page i had where i can download it freely without having to donate...

The only explanation i see is that, on the Distrowatch page for eLive, it is stated that eLive is a Belgian distribution.
Maybe the belgian people have free access to it, whereas people from other countries have to donate ?
Or does my ISP hack them ? :lol:

It would maybe be worth asking on their forums about this strange behaviour.
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:43 am

Yeah, I can to, but the rest of the site does not link to that page, so it is not publicly available...
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kanishka on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:49 pm

It's just that the stable version needs a donation, while the unstable ones are free. It's stated somewhere in the site.
I used to have a soft spot for Elive (I love E17), though Mint is muuuuuch more user-friendly and complete.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ed@Mint on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Hell... This is wrong ! :shock:
I just did it once again.

1. go to http://www.elivecd.org
  2. scroll down the page, after 'Distributions main features' there is a 'Download eLive' button, click on it.
  3. you come to this page 'Stable version', there is one more 'Download eLive' button, click on it.
  4. you come here

Are you all crazy ? :roll: :lol:
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MagnusB on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:45 pm

I hover over the Download eLive button, and have circled the page it links to, this, which forces a "donation" before I can download....
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ed@Mint on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:45 pm

This is exactly the same as i do.. Same address and all, but still, it doesn't ask for a donation.

I'll ask on their forum.
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Chat about Linux