Re: Linux just aint ready

Postby Husse on Sat May 31, 2008 3:04 pm

@ Fred
Amen to that statement - and I hope your back is better
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby miket on Sat May 31, 2008 5:34 pm

I think my postings have been completely misread/misunderstood/taken out of context ... Perhaps it would be better if I just removed them ?

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Sat May 31, 2008 5:44 pm

AvanceIT wrote:I think my postings have been completely misread/misunderstood/taken out of context ... Perhaps it would be better if I just removed them ?

Mike.

No - don't
And I have definitely not misread you :)
A topic like this has a chance of getting a bit, well a bit......
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby yamawho on Sat May 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Fred wrote:Comparing Windows and Linux by the same yard stick is a non-starter. It is like comparing cars and airplanes. They are both modes of transportation, but beyond that they have little in common.

If you want to travel from London to New York, a car just won't do the trick. If you want to go to the grocery store 5 miles away, an airplane is a bit impractical.

The question of which is better is based on a false premise in the first place, so no factually correct answer will ever be arrived at.

Fred

Good one Fred 8)

I have just built a home sever and it was easier to go with XP over linux because 3 out of the 4 printers I want to hook up have no linux driver support. Used as as a print server, fax server and file server.

I wanted to use Windows Home Server but since they have not fixed the data corruption bug yet, it seemed unwise to consider it. Once it is fixed, I may reconsider.

Another project which may see the light of day is Ubuntu Home Server but seems quite a ways away however, I would still need to address the printer driver thing not to mention the faxing ...
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rbanavara on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Interesting thread.... with equally interesting posts....!

I love linux since its free and for the support from the community and its secure. I am ready to tweak and this is an agreeadble cost I am ready to pay for something thats free. Also this gives a sens of gratification.

However out of context / bad / unfair example apple is, but I still beleive they have an ideal system.

I would like linux to be main stream OS and for this somehow the above glitches should be ironed out. Its fair to expect for a non techie to login to linux, does what ever he wants w/o worrying about install/patch something & log off (initially only examples that used to come to my mind were artists... now I can think of others as well... oragnic chemist / seismic analyst...!).

Probably we need an alliance from hardware vendor & linux. Now that we are getting linux preinstalled on systems also the ubuntu dell alliance, we may soon see linux systems working right out of the box.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Postby starcannon on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:50 am

Operating System installs aren't for everybody.

As far as whether Linux is ready for prime time, I think it is; but that comes with the caveat that end users are not OS installers. Generally speaking an end user buys a computer with an OS pre-installed, if they need to "re-install" they run a system restore disk or partition, the disk or partition is scripted to do everything for them and is designed to work with the specific hardware they bought.

These same things can be accomplished for Linux, and an end-user that is interested in having Linux could pay a local geek a couple bills to do the initial install for them, and still come out ahead in the monetary aspect compared to Windows or OSX. Even when paying a linux guy a couple hundred to do your install and set-up, you still don't have to pay for anti-virus, you still don't have to pay for any productivity, gaming, or multimedia software. You don't have to pay to have viruses removed, to have the system reloaded, etc.. etc..

So really what this comes down to, is end-users accepting the idea that just because they payed nothing for the OS doesn't mean they will pay nothing to have it installed for them. I own a car, I pay a mechanic to fix the car, does this mean that cars are not ready for prime-time because the average automobile end-user can not install their own motor? What if someone gave me a really nice motor free of charge, does this mean that I should feel the need to try to install it myself, and then disparage the motor manufacture because I do not have the ability to do it?

These FUD posts about Linux not being ready for prime-time exist in every linux forum I've ever registered on. I give this similar sermon every time I see them.

Heres the deal, if you would like linux, but are not capable of doing your own installs, then just pay someone who is. Your initial investment in their labor will ultimately save you thousands down the road. If a solid distro is installed properly, then the only thing that can mess it up is the end-user; the lesson here, don't go banging around under the hood if you don't know what your doing. Install software, but leave tweaking the way the operating system works to a professional.

Aight /soapbox OFF

Have fun, and put it in perspective, MS Windows tech shops only charge what? $75-$99 an hour for repair work?
starcannon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Good point, starcannon.

Back in the day, when ygdrasil linux was the hot distro to put this in temporal perspective, I supported OS/2. By this I mean I was a paid hired gun to install OS/2 for people. Mostly businesses. Windows is a more lucrative support market because it is so unstable and easily broken. OS/2 was too stable for a stable income stream of repeat business. But people who wanted a service (OS/2 install) would pay for the service after buying the hardware and software. Sometimes I'd sell it all as a package, custom building the PC myself. Usually I'd just do their dirty work on their dirty hardware. It was good money for a college kid with no bills.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rbanavara on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:34 am

yes... I completely agree. starcannon has put in the correct argument.

If we use expect ordinary users to work with linux just carry out their business, we should not expect them to Install / tweak the OS.

I am convinced (atleast for now)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Postby yamawho on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:30 am

There needs to be better linux support from hardware manufacturers.
To many issues with printers that don't work for example.

Why would the average user want to deal with that crap.
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Tithis on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:05 am

Since when is Windows 'out of the box'? The only time I've ever been able to install XP easily is on the hackjob computer I made for my stepbrother. It only worked because the parts were old and XP already had the drivers. On the same old hardware Linux Mint installed fine too.

If you use new hardware you'll have a hard time installing any OS. Only difference is manufacturers normally release drivers for the latest Windows. Linux doesn't have that benefit.

I do have to agree that Linux isn't ready for mainstream use. I think its fine for people who aren't tied to Windows in anyway but most people have invested in software. I still use Windows XP on my desktop because I don't really have problems with it and I like my games :). With my laptop that wasn't a concern since its not meant for gaming.
Tithis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zero Prime on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:55 pm

I suppose I've been lucky. I've never had a problem with any distro. Of course I also built my computer and used parts that I know work well with Linux. :lol:
Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Postby AK Dave on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 pm

The desktop PC at home, the one used by my wife and kids, tripleboots Mint Elyssa, Ubuntu Hardy w/ OpenGEU, and XP.

What does everyone use? Its not XP! Its Mint. I have a storage box full of XP games. What would the kids rather play? What would my wife rather play? Anything with Tux and anything from gnome-games. XP offers us nothing, zilch, nada, except sloth and heartache.

I haven't encountered any glitches or incompatabilities running Linux that I did not also experience with XP, and fewer of those with Linux.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby yamawho on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 pm

The family was on a linux high for a little while but they are all back on XP mainly because of gaming.

I went back to XP because of the printer, fax and file server I built and on my kitchen pc the new Intel mobo with the Atom cpu has issues with linux. Granted, I have not tried to run Mint on it but I have no time to tinker.

Still have my ubuntu system but since it was moved out of the kitchen, it is sitting on a shelf in the basement unused.

I would like to try the Mint 5 final and also opensuse 11 when I get the chance ...
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux