Distro rankings

Chat about Linux in general

Distro rankings

Postby elbeto on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:46 am

I've found this article and wanted to share it with Clem and the forum.

http://www.junauza.com/2008/06/distro-r ... a-and.html

I hope you enjoy it!

I'm sorry I put if here but I couldn't find a suitable section.

elbeto
elbeto
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Distro rankings

Postby Husse on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Interesting read but I don't really know what conclusion to make
I moved the topic here which I think is the right place
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby micpet on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:35 pm

If, mind you, the anonymous commentator is correct in the assumption that the traffic stats represent not so much the popularity of a distro, but instead the number of individuals needing to be helped, it places Mint in the most favorable position. I guess Mint users just don't require the hand holding, and the step by step guidance that the ubuntu crowd does. :mrgreen:

Just a thought.
micpet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eeezzzeee on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:34 am

I don't go to the linux mint page everyday, but I go to the distrowatch page just to get mint counted everyday. I don't even know if it does anything but I thought I read somewhere that's how the rankings are done. so I just swing by everyday for a sec just in case. :mrgreen:
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:43 pm

I see a lot of stats about Mint. What I know is this:

- We don't know the size of our user base.
- We seem to have as many users as Fedora or PCLinuxOS, more than Mandriva, less than OpenSUSE and far less than Debian or Ubuntu. (thanks to distrowatch awstats for that).
- Our user base doubled with the release of Daryna.
- Our user base was slowly going down after Hardy got released and is slowly going back up since we released the Elyssa RCs.
- About 10% of our user base runs KDE CE. (thanks to a poll on the Mint Connection blog)
- About 15% of our user base runs an Elyssa RC.
- About 80% of our user base runs Daryna.
- And everything we know, we're not sure of :?

We also know the geographical repartition of the user base, the most popular screen resolutions and a few other stats...

We also know that most of the people who get to know about Mint via the Net, come through Distrowatch and Google.

But the real question everybody is wondering about is how many people run Mint... and to be honest we don't have a clue. The last time I estimated it I was looking at 7% of the Linux desktop market... and even this is a wild guess. We can see stats go up and down and get a good idea of what the trends are, but since we don't know the proportion of the user base ending up in our stats ... we really don't have a clue.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kayakaholic on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:40 pm

urr but dont those stats imply that we have a 105% user base? Or is that if people have more than one version of mint installed?
kayakaholic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Can't you just see how many downloads there are from the Mint repos? If you get 1 million downloads of a certain update then you have at least 1 million users. Simple? :?
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MALsPa on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:36 pm

belovedmonster wrote:Can't you just see how many downloads there are from the Mint repos? If you get 1 million downloads of a certain update then you have at least 1 million users. Simple? :?

Unless a number of people have the same Mint installed on several computers. Or unless a number of people have reinstalled, and downloaded the update more than once.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:37 am

Or downloaded and just not used it....t i
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 am

MALsPa wrote:
belovedmonster wrote:Can't you just see how many downloads there are from the Mint repos? If you get 1 million downloads of a certain update then you have at least 1 million users. Simple? :?

Unless a number of people have the same Mint installed on several computers. Or unless a number of people have reinstalled, and downloaded the update more than once.

Even with the above issues it is a better representation of the install base than just shrugging our shoulders and saying we have no idea.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux