Linux Puppy

Chat about Linux in general

Linux Puppy

Postby paddy1 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Is there any reason, why Puppy does not have it's own installer? I'm not a programmer, and I find the installation instructions overwhelming.
paddy1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Puppy

Postby 67GTA on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:18 pm

It is meant to be a live CD like DSL and Slitaz. It really wasn't made to be an installable distro, thought it is painfully possible :D . That is why it is so small.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:44 am

paddy1,

As 67GTA pointed out, Puppy was designed to run from a cd. Puppy runs in root all the time. I can't over emphasize how unwise this is for a traditional HD install.

Don't get me wrong, I like Puppy and use it as a back-up system and tool kit. It can be a life saver when all else fails. It really comes in handy for some maintenance and repair tasks. I always keep a copy handy.

I don't recommend you do a traditional install of Puppy to a hard drive though.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby yamawho on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:55 am

When I was running Puppy last year, I would run from the cd and set it up to save settings to a small hdd.
Worked great for me.
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ed@Mint on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:28 am

Moreover, an hdd install of Puppy is quite pointless since it fits entirely into your RAM.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Tony G on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:11 am

While I agree with everyone regarding it being questionable to install Puppy to a HD, I disagree with the original premise that there's no installer (and the instructions are pretty easy).

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby denliv on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:25 pm

One of the most useful features of Puppy for me is running it on a USB thumb drive. I have a 2 gig one on my key chain & can boot into my personalized version of Puppy on any computer that can boot from a usb drive, with lots of free room left over on my USB stick. Installation was simple from the Puppy desktop. Great for working with broken copies of Windows as well.
denliv
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:20 pm

denliv,

Yes I agree. It makes a great little tool kit. It is fast, and small enough to run completely in ram.

What I did was cut a lot of the stuff I didn't need from it and added a few things and remastered it. Now I have a personalized tool kit.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby NumNuts on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:56 am

I had a good play on puppy and various puplets a couple of months ago. NOP pup is only 80MB and Mac pup is very pleasing on the eye.

It required a certain amount of head scratching and forum surfing to understand the basics of configuration and application installation.
Personally, although I'm no king of the console, I found installing the .pups and sfs fairly easy. However its not as slick or comprehensive as Mints software portal or package manager.

As for boot speed, I did an install onto a compact flash card on a sata converter. It wasn't significantly faster to boot than on a USB pen, which is only 30 seconds or so quicker than booting from the CD. Once my settings were saved, I found, even from CD, it booted considerably quicker than the more well endowed distributions.

I'm a big fan of the wee pup.
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux