Linux Puppy

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Puppy

Post by 67GTA »

It is meant to be a live CD like DSL and Slitaz. It really wasn't made to be an installable distro, thought it is painfully possible :D . That is why it is so small.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Fred

Post by Fred »

paddy1,

As 67GTA pointed out, Puppy was designed to run from a cd. Puppy runs in root all the time. I can't over emphasize how unwise this is for a traditional HD install.

Don't get me wrong, I like Puppy and use it as a back-up system and tool kit. It can be a life saver when all else fails. It really comes in handy for some maintenance and repair tasks. I always keep a copy handy.

I don't recommend you do a traditional install of Puppy to a hard drive though.

Fred
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

When I was running Puppy last year, I would run from the cd and set it up to save settings to a small hdd.
Worked great for me.
Fred

Post by Fred »

denliv,

Yes I agree. It makes a great little tool kit. It is fast, and small enough to run completely in ram.

What I did was cut a lot of the stuff I didn't need from it and added a few things and remastered it. Now I have a personalized tool kit.

Fred
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NumNuts »

I had a good play on puppy and various puplets a couple of months ago. NOP pup is only 80MB and Mac pup is very pleasing on the eye.

It required a certain amount of head scratching and forum surfing to understand the basics of configuration and application installation.
Personally, although I'm no king of the console, I found installing the .pups and sfs fairly easy. However its not as slick or comprehensive as Mints software portal or package manager.

As for boot speed, I did an install onto a compact flash card on a sata converter. It wasn't significantly faster to boot than on a USB pen, which is only 30 seconds or so quicker than booting from the CD. Once my settings were saved, I found, even from CD, it booted considerably quicker than the more well endowed distributions.

I'm a big fan of the wee pup.

Return to “Chat about Linux”