Possible Changes In Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/possible ... saucy.html

Some items to come under discussion for it.

Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander, Unity 7 should get the 100 scopes
Unity 8 which will be running on top of Mir might be available as an alternative session
on the desktop in Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander, for testing purposes.
Chromium might be used as the default web browser in Ubuntu 13.10, replacing Firefox.
A new feature that might be added to Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander is "click packages",
a simplified package format and installer.

Other changes that might make it into Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander include:

Support by default the latest Nvidia drivers that come with initial Optimus support
(the patches are already available, there's little work required)

there might be some new indicators (e.g.: for Keyboard);

Saucy will probably ship with xserver 1.14 or even 1.15, mesa 9.2.x and Linux Kernel 3.10 or 3.11;
prime support, Radeon UVD support, proper radeonsi support as well as proper touch screen support for X.Org.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Possible Changes In Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Post by xenopeek »

And MySQL might be replaced with either Percona (never heard of it) or MariaDB (who hasn't switch yet :wink:): http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTM3Mjc

Apparently this week the plans for Chromium vs. Firefox will be made. I've used Chromium but don't like how it renders fonts. I'll stick to Firefox.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

I'm not at all agree that Chromium is the default web browser. Firefox is much better. Another truncheon over Canonical ????

Hopefully the Linux Mint team continues to retain Firefox how default browser.....
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I prefer Chrome myself (Chromium is kind of a stripped down version)...but unfortunately, they can't have it as the default because it has a license agreement...
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Mozilla Firefox is much better than Chromium or Chrome. I hope the Linux Mint Team will stick with Mozilla Firefox.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

For you perhaps...for me...just the opposite....Chrome rocks...but it is unfortunate that they can't change it to Chrome instead of Chromium because it is inferior in that it is a stripped down version of Chrome...Firefox as a default would be better then Chromium (but not Chrome) unfortunately, they can't do Chrome because it has a license agreement that you have to say yes to before you download it...

In any case, i would always be ending up installing Chrome anyway...so for me it makes no difference at all...but i use ubuntu not mint, currently....
Clem can always change the ubuntu default in his distro if he feels that it is the better to go with Firefox...
Last edited by craig10x on Mon May 27, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evgeny

Post by Evgeny »

Chromium is not that bad. but firefox is just a love for me, tought I use opera too and I abuse it, (opera can read my mails with no extension.

I am a bit extension scared, scared by my own stupid action to get more then 60 extension and end up with a slow browser and heavy one too.

and yeah, it will have linux kernel 3.11 (great no ? )
http://news.softpedia.com/news/It-s-Off ... 5251.shtml
An yeah.,
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

craig10x wrote:I prefer Chrome myself (Chromium is kind of a stripped down version)...but unfortunately, they can't have it as the default because it has a license agreement...
Actually, Chromium is the open source project which Google uses to build Chrome. Chromium seems "stripped down" simply because it's only a base for Chrome and Google adds quite a lot on top of that base and it's all closed sourced (not that means anything in particular--just mentioning). Personally, I still prefer Firefox but I do have the latest version of Chrome installed for when I absolutely need the latest version of Flash. The latest version of Firefox is very fast and actually starts quicker than the latest version of Chrome in Linux Mint 14 and 15.

That said, it's all down to personal preference but I couldn't figure Ubuntu choosing Chromium over Firefox.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

craig10x wrote:For you perhaps...for me...just the opposite....Chrome rocks...but it is unfortunate that they can't change it to Chrome instead of Chromium because it is inferior in that it is a stripped down version of Chrome...
Why do people always say it's a stripped down version? There's very little difference when it comes down to it. Maybe people should see for themselves. https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki ... ogleChrome
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

@Wolfen69: I mean stripped down in the sense that it doesn't come with the up to date flash plug in (pepper flash) so Chromium like Firefox has to use the old adobe flash that is installed on your system which no longer gets updated versions from adobe like pepper does...and it also does not have the really nice built in pdf reader like Chrome...lastly, it doesn't put on an automatic ppa updater for the latest version and you need to add that manually...Of course, if ubuntu makes Chromium the default browser, it would get updates through ubuntu however, Chromium always seems to be behind Chrome by one version...

Otherwise, it is pretty much the same :wink:

But it's kind of like ordering a car without the radio and air conditioning....sure they can be added on after delivery, but it's so much more convenient to have them already installed :lol:
frogy

Post by frogy »

IMHO the firefox vs chrome it is not so important. What I'm worried about is the new package system "click packages" that ubuntu brings in. After reading the comments from this article http://www.jonobacon.org/2013/08/21/ubuntu-in-a-nutshell-app-upload-process/ I'm not so sure about the simplicity of the system :?. For example, I don't want multiple copies of the same dependencies (even worse different versions of the same dependencies). What Mint team will do about the new package system?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

From the post you link to, it seems it's a bit early to start worrying about this;
This means that we won’t release this system on the desktop until Mir is on by default (around 14.10). Our existing system will be in place until then.
js3915

Post by js3915 »

xenopeek wrote:And MySQL might be replaced with either Percona (never heard of it) or MariaDB (who hasn't switch yet :wink:): http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM3Mjc

Apparently this week the plans for Chromium vs. Firefox will be made. I've used Chromium but don't like how it renders fonts. I'll stick to Firefox.
Percona? really?? sounds like Ubuntu is trying tobe the Apple of the linux world i mean seriously everything ubuntu does seems ass-backwards..

Seriously hope Mint goes with Mariadb and Wayland whenever its good enough.. As for chromium/firefox.. Simple install from the repo..
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

sounds like Ubuntu is trying tobe the Apple of the linux world i mean seriously everything ubuntu does seems ass-backwards..
Anyone surprised?
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Snapcase wrote: Anyone surprised?
Slightly off topic and i know its not the all tale gauge of things but can get somewhat a feel of how the linux community world feels by distro watch. Ubuntu is close to dropping to 3rd if normal Debian keeps its momentum. I think if you change from 6 months to 1 week 4 weeks and 3 months ubuntu is down to 3 :lol:

Dont get me wrong though ubuntu has done plenty for the community and some nice offspins like mint :D
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Dont get me wrong though ubuntu has done plenty for the community and some nice offspins like mint
Of course they did it and deserve all the credit for it. But they're making quite a few changes in their boat lately, changed their philosophy and goals... and doesn't smell so good.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

They may not smell good to you but for many of us, they smell like fresh flowers :D
You should not insult ubuntu because you are actually using it (in a modified version called Linux Mint)...

I love Ubuntu like the way you love mint but you don't see me insulting your distro...
AnonKS

Post by AnonKS »

It seems, more and more, that Ubuntu is wanting to move to an enterprise model. And also with mir coming into the mix, I don't know.
I really hope that when that happens, that Mint will fork further away.
I'll always support mint and if the dev team ever needs any help, with testing, package ports, etc. They need only ask.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4

Return to “Chat about Linux”