Linux Mint in jeopardy

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfluder

Linux Mint in jeopardy

Post by mfluder »

Is anyone else as concerned as I am about the fact that a top microsoft man now runs the Ubuntu project? What is the future of the Linux Mint project now that canonical is clearly in bed with Microsoft? Are we still going to use Ubuntu as a base or move onto something else?

http://techrights.org/2013/05/15/ubuntu ... t-veteran/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint in jeopardy

Post by tdockery97 »

A classic case of FUD. Spencer hasn't worked at Microsoft since 2006. He's been at Canonical since 2008. This certainly isn't recent news. That blogger is a conspiracy theorist looking to stir things up. Check on Mr. Spencer yourself: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rickspencer3
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yeah, I'm not worried because one blogger likes to see spooks. Give him some tinfoil...

Ubuntu is a solid package base for Linux Mint. If it would ever be the case that it isn't, then Linux Mint can be switched to another package base. If you hadn't read it yet, here is a nice article about Linux Mint: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... os-1146584. Also touches upon why Ubuntu was chosen as a package base.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

xenopeek wrote:... Give him some tinfoil...
... :lol:

mfluder

Post by mfluder »

FUD towards Microsoft? Tin foil? HUH? This is a GNU\Linux forum right? Does anyone else want to chime in who isn't clearly biased in Microsoft's favor?

This is called an Ad Hoc attack everybody. When you don't have any clear facts against your opponent, then attack him directly. Smear his character, make fun of him, etc. I am ashamed of all of you. I thought that this forum was open and honest. Why am I being attacked here?

Looks like the Microsoft trolls have invaded this forum. Its the end of everything I guess. Goodbye everybody.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

No one is attacking you. Our remarks are regarding the blogger you linked to.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

On the basis of your last post, it sounds more like you are a "microsoft troll"...Just because someone who now works for ubuntu USE TO work for microsoft, doesn't not matter one wit...he works for UBUNTU (Canonical) now, right?

If you worked for say, Bank of America, and then left and now you work for JP Morgan Chase, who are you loyal to and follow the philosophy of? why Chase of course...same deal here...also, maybe he left microsoft because he got fed up with the way THEY do things...ever think of that?

Ubuntu is run by Mark Shuttleworth and those that work for him are committed to his policies and philosphy...so try not to start threads using an alarmist's blog...
thank you :lol:
Last edited by craig10x on Thu May 16, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I think he left. He went that way....
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
dee.

Post by dee. »

Techrights writes of things that most people feel too uncomfortable with and would rather not think about... even if it does sometimes go a bit overboard with the rhetoric, it's generally a good source of news, and a loud supporter of Free Software ideals. Don't diss on Techrights, people. Don't shoot the messenger.

This specific case about this specific Canonical worker may be an overreaction (or it might not), but it's been clear now for some time that Ubuntu is no longer interested in being compatible and working with the GNU/Linux ecosystem - everything from Mir to integrated adware and Shuttleworth's arrogant "we have root" comments are clear signs that Ubuntu is going in a very questionable direction.

Also regardless of whether the Canonical worker is a Microsoft mole or not, the rest of the article makes some very good points, and you can't just brush them aside by saying "you're just spreading FUD", "you're a tinfoil-hat therefore we don't need to listen to you" - that's called an ad-hominem: attempting to discredit the argument by attacking the person making the argument. That's not something sensible and rational people do.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

excollier wrote:I think he left. He went that way....
I think I hear squealing tires in the parking lot...

:shock:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I do agree with him that Ubuntu is into something fishy. The latest raring bullshit is a clear sign. Did they make it to ruin Linux reputation???????? I have never seen any thing in this multiverse as messy as this raring monkey :lol: Enough is enough :D Ubuntu is for kids :D Linux Mint should take the lead and build its own name aprt from Ubuntu :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Clem is the developer of Mint and Clem appreciates and likes working on ubuntu as the base...frankly, i think he has more common sense then some of the posters i have seen on here...no offense...Frankly, i get tired of hearing all these digs at ubuntu...i think the direction Mark is going with it is fantastic...bottom line is the leader of mint likes and wants to use ubuntu....end of story guys...if you don't like it, then perhaps you should consider migrating to a non-ubuntu distro...
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

craig10x wrote:Clem is the developer of Mint and Clem appreciates and likes working on ubuntu as the base...frankly, i think he has more common sense then some of the posters i have seen on here...no offense...Frankly, i get tired of hearing all these digs at ubuntu...i think the direction Mark is going with it is fantastic...bottom line is the leader of mint likes and wants to use ubuntu....end of story guys...if you don't like it, then perhaps you should consider migrating to a non-ubuntu distro...
Violent speech :D but if you read what Clem thinks now you might change your mind http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361 read post 13 :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Sorry if i sounded about "heavy handed"...well, i read that comment from Clem...i think it's not that he doesn't like using ubuntu for the base (he does) but it's just the new schedule for interim releases that makes him wonder if he should consider another base or doing his own...That is the only thing i do disagree with ubuntu about...i think reducing it makes sense (to give the developers more time to work on fixing bugs instead of long maintenance on interim releases, but i think 12 months would have been a better pick rather then 9 months....

But the way Mark is taking ubuntu is to maintain it as a free open source distro for all to enjoy free of charge but at the same time expand the commercial aspects of having it as the Os on computers (that's starting to happen already with agreements with HP, System 76, Dell and others) and Ubuntu based phones, tablets, tvs etc...in other words, make Linux more main stream and well known and i think that's GREAT...Linux is great alternative to windows and mac and it's time for it draw in a bigger crowd that it has attracted until now....and only ubuntu really has the resources and "might" to do that :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

As long as ubuntu doesn't try to pull an oracle with the open office nightmare that happen awhile it doesn't really matter, I don't care one way or the other, as long as good systems come out of it, it's all good, if they try and make some money along the way, more power to them, everyone knows linux programmers are probably the least paid ones on the planet to keep things open, some might make some but the numbers are less for linux all around.
If it goes the way of oracle then the same thing will just happen anyhow, remember Lindows?
As far as the MS conspiracy goes, maybe ubuntu offered a better deal or more room to expand etc etc who knows, just cause a developer/programmer comes from ms doesn't mean anything, it just means he/she knows how to make stuff and by going into the phones, tablets, tv area I can see why someone from windblows might have some expertise for these kind of areas. Am I a fan of windblows, NOPE! not in the least, I left it years ago and don't ever want to go back, do I like ubuntu? I like (LMDE) debian over it which is why I am on LMDE, is it a good base for a distro? yup, until it messes up entirely then nope, if it goes the way of Lindows what will happen? the same thing as what did happen, there is so many developers out there and people who love making distros it would not take long to band a few together and make another great system, it's just what linux is about and has been about, Mint has enough knowledge and expertise on their team from what I seen so far to create their own if need be as does other distros without the need of ubuntu at all, but as long as it's there and working and can be changed to suit your needs, heck why not use it if that's what you want as a base.
The reason linux has grown and MS has never buried it (except for attempt on Lindows years ago, which was actually funny anyhow), is because of the community and how it bands together and works together to get stuff done, just like when they were going to charge for open office, how long did it take for the community to make libre office and ban open office and basically bury it alive? A Month? Two Months? They even tried to give open office back to the community after it was buried alive and couldn't even give it away after that, it became a dead piece of software and they learnt from that action, at least for that part.
Every time I see a conspiracy I get a chuckle out of it, is it true? who knows? are they going to kill linux? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!
Will Ubuntu eventually go full commercial, :lol: not as long as there is enough free distros, so maybe in phones, tablets and tv, unless other distros jump on that band wagon, if there is distros for free and the support and community is there as it has been since the beginning it's all good.
Sit back, relax, take a chill pill and start programming 8)
dee.

Post by dee. »

craig10x wrote:Sorry if i sounded about "heavy handed"...well, i read that comment from Clem...i think it's not that he doesn't like using ubuntu for the base (he does) but it's just the new schedule for interim releases that makes him wonder if he should consider another base or doing his own...That is the only thing i do disagree with ubuntu about...i think reducing it makes sense (to give the developers more time to work on fixing bugs instead of long maintenance on interim releases, but i think 12 months would have been a better pick rather then 9 months....

But the way Mark is taking ubuntu is to maintain it as a free open source distro for all to enjoy free of charge but at the same time expand the commercial aspects of having it as the Os on computers (that's starting to happen already with agreements with HP, System 76, Dell and others) and Ubuntu based phones, tablets, tvs etc...in other words, make Linux more main stream and well known and i think that's GREAT...Linux is great alternative to windows and mac and it's time for it draw in a bigger crowd that it has attracted until now....and only ubuntu really has the resources and "might" to do that :D
If you have to become as bad as Windows to make Linux "more mainstream" then you know what? I'd rather stay in obscurity.

The thing is, Ubuntu now installs intrusive adware on the OS that is turned on by default. That is already not acceptable for a Linux OS that claims to be about user freedom and choice. The other thing is that Ubuntu does not collaborate with the rest of Linux ecosystem. It doesn't contribute to upstream, only uses but never gives back. Now we have Mir which is like it's designed to build wall around Ubuntu and totally separate it from other Linux distros. There will be two types of desktop Linux distros: Ubuntu, and everything else, and anyone wanting to create software will have to choose which to target. Even in the best case scenario, this stunt of Ubuntu will delay the adoption of Wayland for years, as it will keep X as the most compatible choice - it will delay getting rid of X.

So then it doesn't really matter if Ubuntu succeeds, because its success doesn't benefit the rest of the ecosystem. It doesn't benefit other distros. Ubuntu is just becoming separate from others, it will be to Linux what MacOS is to BSD...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Interesting, Jono Bacon has replied on the article and gives a nice insight.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

When, or if, Ubuntu gets popular and common place will it not then become the target for the malware morons, and by extension expose everything based on it to the same problems that Windows has?
I guess this has been discussed frequently, but surely it is a distinct possibility.
I like being in the small minority, sometimes safety is definitely not in numbers.
When (big) money gets involved with anything, it dilutes and corrupts it, so be careful what you wish for..... now, where's my roll of tin foil.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

.... now, where's my roll of tin foil.
Conspiracy theorist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

dee. wrote: The thing is, Ubuntu now installs intrusive adware on the OS that is turned on by default.
I don't use ubuntu so I don't know about this, but what adware are you talking about exactly?
I'm sure everyone else would want to know about this as well so they can turn it off.
this stunt of Ubuntu will delay the adoption of Wayland for years
Why? just because ubuntu has Mir doesn't mean the makers of wayland can't move on their own creation and make it just as good if not better then Mir, this is saying ubuntu decides the fate of linux almost and it doesn't, wayland has the option to make or break their own creation and to make it good enough for everyone to replace X with just as much as mir does, if everyone is so parnoid about ubuntu then more should learn programming and pitch in with their talents.
What I see is ubuntu almost setting the standard and fate of linux according to all this, when did linux put all it's cards in ubuntu's hands who obviously holds its cards close to the chest.
To be honest what I would love to see is one package manager (makes it easier across the board) then anyone could install from any distro, one replacement of X, that works great, one set of dependencies that works for everything, maybe linux would get some more main stream games happening then and main stream software, although I have all the software I need anyhow and I am not a gamer, but this has been an issue with linux and main stream games especially. Will they package it for all distros? no way.
Is ubunbtu heading the way of Lindows? who knows, this won't be the first time, it won't be the last time either, we have survived it before and we will again, if everyone is worried about Mir and ubuntu taking the dominance in that, then hey learn programming or get more programmers on wayland and make it just as good if not better, problem solved, the same thing they did for libre office when it took over open office and buried it alive.
If mir winds up good then this gives ubuntu the chance to show their cards and give something upstream, it should be interesting either way, necessity has always been the mother of creation. and linux has always come through in times of necessity.

Return to “Chat about Linux”