How does LMDE compare to Regular Debian

Chat about Linux in general

How does LMDE compare to Regular Debian

Postby protocol77 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:26 am

Reading around for advice on server distros you tend to get the same answers most of the time

CentOS, SUSE, Redhat And Debian

Being a newb and coming from Ubuntu then Mint (Ubuntu based) i feel more comfortable with a debian apt-get type of setup

I am currently looking for a Distro for my Home File server its main purposes are to share files to my network and to setup a Usenet downloader i have figured this stuff out using Virtualbox install however it now comes down to picking one and i am torn

what i want to know is Which one should i use for a 24/7 stable set and forget headless server that i can tuck away in a cupboard and not have to worry about it

I like the Stability that debian has a Rep for but i like the look of Mint so i am wondering is LMDE really just Debian with the default GUI / DE removed and Linux Mint's one attached in its place with a few extras thrown in or are they very different

i just want the stability of debian but the style and function of Mint
protocol77
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How does LMDE compare to Regular Debian

Postby xenopeek on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:44 am

Moved here as this is also about other distros.

protocol77 wrote:Which one should i use for a 24/7 stable set and forget headless server that i can tuck away in a cupboard and not have to worry about it

LMDE is based on Debian testing. While its design is intended to make it more stable than Debian testing, it is unlikely to match Debian stable. As you describe it, I would go for a stable distro and probably Debian stable is then the best choice if you are looking for an APT based one :wink:
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Chat about Linux