Arjen Balfoort has announced the release of SolydXK 201308

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Arjen Balfoort has announced the release of SolydXK 201308

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep saw the Distro watch announcement and did some googling and reading.
[url]http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solydxk[/url]
Found the rolling release compelling and liked the way Solyd K was implemented.

So backed up my Linux Mint KDE 15 4.10.5 partitions and Installed the SolydK 64bit 2013-08 iso.
Took a total of 60 mins total including personal package installs and tweaking the desktop.
Exact setup as my Mint 15 KDE 4.10.5 and came in a smidgin lighter to desktop was 339mb vs. my mint 362mb

Like the default partitions install of just right clicking to assign / root and assigning separate /home is not formatted by default.
Had to install a couple of programs like conky which I think should be default in all distro's. And had to fetch Yawp weather plasmoid from the repos. Adjust themes back to way I had them.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/9585773799/][img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2875/9585773799_9afee988f7_n.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/9585773799/]SolydK KDE Desktop Dual Displays Aug. 24th 2013[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/orb9220/]Orbmiser[/url], on Flickr

But default panels came up and saw my dual monitors and setup with no adjustments necessary as use the default open drivers for my Ati 4350 card.

Only confusion was during install my host computer is always named Winterfell but Solyd wouldn't allow Uppercase no biggy just confused as all other distro's allowed first letter capitalization. Also first time I clicked on my working Ntfs partition ask for password and I checked the checkmark for remembering as never had to do that with others. Only hope that sticks and don't have to keep answering password for mounting my ntfs drives.

Update: Nope on reboot when clicking on ntfs partition in dolphin get the Authentication is required to mount even tho in removable devices I have it set to automount and also answered the authentication dialog with Remember Authorization checked marked. Will have to look and see if a solution is available.

But Smooth and responsive as my Mint KDE was and will be testing this as my main setup over next few months.
Congrats on a Great Distro and Kudo's for All for their Hard Works! :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Snapcase

Re: Arjen Balfoort has announced the release of SolydXK 2013

Post by Snapcase »

I installed it yesterday into my second HD. I'm loving it.
Also first time I clicked on my working Ntfs partition ask for password and I checked the checkmark for remembering as never had to do that with others. Only hope that sticks and don't have to keep answering password for mounting my ntfs drives.
It seems it's a Debian new feature. I've been trying other Debian distros lately and they also had that password request when you try to access any HD or partition not belonging to the system partitions, Ext4, NTFS or whatever. It was surprising for me too.

Otherwise I have zero complaints about SolydK. It feels like been on a kind of LMDE KDE. :mrgreen:
jdhedden

Post by jdhedden »

I tried installing SolydX earlier this summer, but on the reboot after the install, all I got was a black screen.

Figured I'd give this new version a go. Was able to boot up after the install fine. Tried updating the kernel (to pae). That took a VERY LONG TIME, but worked okay following the reboot. Then tried updating the graphics drivers to fglxr-driver. Another reboot, and again a black screen. Well, I did get further, but no joy.
It turned out the problem was with Plymouth. It has bugs that make it incompatible with the fglxr-driver. When I turned off Plymouth on the install, everything worked.
So, once more back to LM15-Xfce.
Looks like I've graduated to SolydX now.
Last edited by jdhedden on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Snapcase wrote:I installed it yesterday into my second HD. I'm loving it.
Also first time I clicked on my working Ntfs partition ask for password and I checked the checkmark for remembering as never had to do that with others. Only hope that sticks and don't have to keep answering password for mounting my ntfs drives.
It seems it's a Debian new feature. I've been trying other Debian distros lately and they also had that password request when you try to access any HD or partition not belonging to the system partitions, Ext4, NTFS or whatever. It was surprising for me too.

Otherwise I have zero complaints about SolydK. It feels like been on a kind of LMDE KDE. :mrgreen:
Found in Debian Forums thought to share here.

You can investigate /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy

Code: Select all

<action id =”org.feedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal”>
    <description>Mount a system-internal device</description>
    <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>

=> replace auth_admin_keep with word yes to see if it works according to your wish.

And tried it and rebooted and yep my internal ntfs is now mounted at startup and works normal in dolphin.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Came across this 2 month old review. And thought to put here for those that may be interested.
SolydXK: New Kid on the Linux Block Delivers Rock-Solid Performance
[url]http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/78356.html[/url]

Pretty much sums up my take on it after 2 weeks of use.
Any minor issues was due to how debian does things and a couple of minor install tweaks I had to implement.
UPdate Pack 2013.09.06 postponed
Posted on September 5, 2013

I’ve got good, and bad news.

The good news is that Santa is working on KDE 4.11.1
The bad news is that we need time for testing when he’s done.

Therefor the release of the next UP is postponed to 13 September.
So the 13th will be my first updated pack rolling and will have to wait and see if all goes smoothly for me.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I have a box that I use just to try other distro's on and try things out, and loaded up SolydK about a week ago. It's great, what a nice distro, although I love my LMDE, this is a close 2nd. And would recommend others give it a spin. :D
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I have been using SolydK now for the past fortnight, and if the UP on the 13th works as expected (no reason to doubt it will, but I'm cautious) then I will be switching to it exclusively. Sorry LMDE, but with a slow connection here I cannot spend the time downloading a huge UP when I could be downloading smaller ones more frequently. LMDE is great but I don't have the time to sit waiting for it.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

excollier wrote:I have been using SolydK now for the past fortnight, and if the UP on the 13th works as expected (no reason to doubt it will, but I'm cautious) then I will be switching to it exclusively. Sorry LMDE, but with a slow connection here I cannot spend the time downloading a huge UP when I could be downloading smaller ones more frequently. LMDE is great but I don't have the time to sit waiting for it.
Yep good point as also have a 1mb type wifi connection and the installing large updates were killing me. As when they are happening I can't do anything else on the internet. And sometimes updates of 200mb means an hour of waiting.

My other pet peeve in those updates have to look thru and ignore package. Like KDE wallpapers in every update and wanting to download 84mb which always seems to be a Big chunk of the updates and don't need it eating up my time.

And also expect a trouble free update pack. And once a month is more real world need and useful then a couple of times a year.

Return to “Chat about Linux”