Ubuntu/Android (Ubuntu Edge) I hope to god there is a

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ericramos1990

Ubuntu/Android (Ubuntu Edge) I hope to god there is a

Post by ericramos1990 »

Linux Mint/Android mobile OS someday, since Ubuntu is basically evil now =/

Moved here by moderator - Not a support question.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Ubuntu/Android (Ubuntu Edge) I hope to god there is a

Post by karlchen »

ericramos1990 wrote:Linux Mint/Android mobile OS someday, since Ubuntu is basically evil now =/
Linux Mint is Ubuntu in disguise. No chance of escaping from the evil empire ruled by Mark S. :twisted:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I wanted a Ubuntu Edge... I like how it could be docked and used like a regular system. It is kind of a toy right now but it is still pretty cool. Even the design of the Ubuntu Edge made it look good and Shuttleworth said unless you carry diamonds around in your pocket you were not going to scratch the screen. :) Seemed like a pretty high quality device that some time and thought went into. The gestures the phone recognized was pretty interesting also.

I believe the Ubuntu Edge will succeed in time, the concept is nice. The current cost to start up manufacturing is high but over time the cost could be reduced. The interesting thing about the Ubuntu edge was how powerful such a compact device could be. I would really like to have the ability to take my computer anywhere and the Ubuntu Edge might be an easy way to do it.

In my opinion using one device that could do so much and be so compact is amazing. A cell phone does not use very much electricity, so such a device could be a big cost saver and businesses might also like this portability. My wife uses her cell phone a lot and she would benefit from a device like the Ubuntu Edge, she likes smaller less clunky devices and she moves to different rooms sometimes.

Mint has the Mint Box and it is pretty cool too! The Mint Box is pretty compact and you get a full featured modern looking desktop with it. Clem is not currently working on mobile devices, he is keeping the traditional desktop alive with style and out of the box functionality. You can get a lot of things done on a computer that you know is going to have excellent hardware support and the Mint Box has that at a more reasonable cost than some other competing products. Small devices are desirable and the Mint Box and Ubuntu's mobile technology are certainly trying to meet this need in the market. I like where technology is heading, small and portable seems like a good idea right now. :)
teatime

Post by teatime »

It is only a speculation from my site but I think they have lost it as soon they anounced MIR and a lot of people were angry but another one was the price - maybe if the went with Wayland more people would have ordered an Edge as there is interest in other mobile platforms as the other two big ones. Jolla with Sailfish shipped already their first batch of devices (50.000 units) and Firefox OS should be available at the end of this year.
dee.

Post by dee. »

ericramos1990 wrote:Linux Mint/Android mobile OS someday,
One question: why? Linux Mint is a desktop OS, entirely focused on desktop - which is good, it means they don't have to make compromises on the interface and can do what's best for desktop users, without having to think how everything works on other form factors.
since Ubuntu is basically evil now =/
No, no it's not. Canonical is just making some spectacularly bad choices and mistakes. Mir is a horribly stupid move, and the whole dash smartscopes thing could have been handled better.

Never assign to malice that which is better explained by stupidity.

Return to “Chat about Linux”