Killer Apps for Linux

Chat about Linux in general

Killer Apps for Linux

Postby mintero on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:27 am

Hi all :)

Which apps are the best ones in your opinion?

I have seen hundreds of theads about this topic on the web. I really like that discussion :D

Well, my today discovery is Apollon, a p2p multinetwork app...

Go ahead
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Killer Apps for Linux

Postby scorp123 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:16 am

mintero wrote:Which apps are the best ones in your opinion?

I personally I'm a huge fan of Amarok :D
http://amarok.kde.org
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby clem on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:06 am

Same here. IMHO, Amarok is by far the most impressive killer-app under Linux.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby 900i on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:19 am

Konqueror is THE Linux killer app imo, but I still run Nautilus under Gnome.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby scorp123 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:25 am

clem wrote:Same here. IMHO, Amarok is by far the most impressive killer-app under Linux.
Is there something like Amarok but for video files ... sort of an Amarok that can handle videos too? Other "killer apps" coming to my mind:

* MPlayer: plays just about everything. Killer.
* VLC: same as above; depends on your taste which one you prefer
* TVtime: the best TV app I know!

* k3b: this is by far the best burning app; with plugins such as "emovix" you can even create bootable DVD's that will auto-boot and auto-play any movies stored on it! This is totally *killer* as it allows me to distribute holiday videos and videos of my baby-daughter amongst my not-so-tech-savvy relatives living far away in distant countries. All they need to do is to pop-in the DVD into a computer, the rest is done automagically for them! 8)

* OpenOffice: Free office suite for free people :wink: It's ability to export to PDF on the fly is why I consider this being a *killer* app, it allows me to create professionally looking documents and share it with my coworkers; PDF will make sure it gets displayed on their screens exactly as I intended.

* GIMP: for the creative amongst us; can be vastly expanded with tons of plugins that are floating around on the web ... And you can't beat the price: free!

* Kopete: knows about almost every important chat protocol. Killer!

* VirtualBox: free virtualisation app, better than VMware but open source. Killer!

* Cedega: for the gamers amongst us. Not free, though.
* CrossOver office: Same as above. Not free but still pretty close to "killer".

What I --and probably many million others too-- am really looking for would be a "killer" server app to replace Micro$oft Exchange with. "Evolution" as a client is very buggy and prone to crashes IMHO and thus does not (yet?) deserve the title of being a "killer app". And the server apps I have seen so far did not yet really convince me that Microsoft's Exchange will be replaced any time soon in most of the companies who use it.

Any suggestions in this category?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mintero on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:09 pm

scorp123 wrote: Is there something like Amarok but for video files ... sort of an Amarok that can handle videos too?

gxine (+gxineplugin)

What I --and probably many million others too-- am really looking for would be a "killer" server app to replace Micro$oft Exchange with. "Evolution" as a client is very buggy and prone to crashes IMHO and thus does not (yet?) deserve the title of being a "killer app". And the server apps I have seen so far did not yet really convince me that Microsoft's Exchange will be replaced any time soon in most of the companies who use it.

Any suggestions in this category?

http://www.zimbra.com
http://www.citadel.org/doku.php
http://www.atmail.com
http://typo3.open-xchange.com/header/co ... _area.html
http://www.opengroupware.org
http://www.kolab.org
http://www.horde.org
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 900i on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm

The real Killer App has to be the Linux Kernel as it allows us to drop M$ and run all the other killer apps! :D
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby scorp123 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:28 pm

mintero wrote:
scorp123 wrote: Is there something like Amarok but for video files ... sort of an Amarok that can handle videos too?

gxine (+gxineplugin)
Isn't that just a player? What I am missing is something like a video player which can handle collections of video files, display the context, show Wikipedia entries, handle various collections on the fly, link up with video streams (just as Amarok can link you up with web radio stations), and so on.

I know all of them ... "kolab" and "zimbra" are probably the most promising ones but I don't think you could convince a M$ Exchange shop to drop that M$ crap and use something like "kolab" instead .. :?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mintero on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:32 pm

scorp123 wrote:What I am missing is something like a video player which can handle collections of video files, display the context, show Wikipedia entries, handle various collections on the fly, link up with video streams (just as Amarok can link you up with web radio stations), and so on.

Democracy player?

"kolab" and "zimbra" are probably the most promising ones but I don't think you could convince a M$ Exchange shop to drop that M$ crap and use something like "kolab" instead .. :?
Well, it's difficult but with Zimbra maybe....it is featureful tool (email, shared calendars, contacts and files, Jabber, WebUI and WebAdminUI, antivirus, antispam etc) But it is very heavy, almost a linux CD...:)
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:42 pm

mintero wrote: Democracy player?
Doesn't that one only handle remote streams? Maybe I should take a look again ...

mintero wrote: Well, it's difficult but with Zimbra maybe....it is featureful tool (email, shared calendars, contacts and files, Jabber, WebUI and WebAdminUI, antivirus, antispam etc) But it is very heavy, almost a linux CD...:)
Yeah, you see?? :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby bef on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:46 am

Amarok, the GIMP.
bef
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Flint on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:43 am

For playing music I use "Exaile!"
On my descent old machine it runs better than Amarok. It pretty much has the same functions as Amarok, but lacks the looks :) I personally hope that this will change in time.
Another great application is "Life Rea" for RSS feeds.
Xara Extreme IMHO is better than Inkscape - it's just great.
QCad is a great and FREE Autocad replacement :)

One thing I still can't find though - I need a light torrent downloader. Azureus and Bittorrent doesn't work good on 256 MB ram, Freeloader is not downloading and Bittornado couldn't start. I'm currently using uTorrent working Wine. But I'd be glad if someone suggests a Linux alternative to uTorrent :roll:

PS: the "Airstrike" game is a kickass :twisted:
Flint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bef on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:01 am

Some of the great applications I've found thus far are VLC (video player), Banshee (music player and management), Konversation (irc client), KTorrent & Deluge (torrent clients) and Virtualbox.
member 675
bef
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux