NSA collection and Linux

Chat about Linux in general

NSA collection and Linux

Postby JackBW on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:49 am

With so many news articles on NSA's constant monitoring and data collection, does Linux offer any level of protection against such things as email address book collecting, or other capabilities The Man might be employing?
"Did you ever get the feeling the world was a tuxedo, and you were a pair of brown shoes?"--George Gobel
JackBW
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: NSA collection and Linux

Postby tdockery97 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:44 am

Nope. If you live in the good ol' USA, your secrets be theirs.
Mint 16 Cinnamon
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby nomko on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:47 am

tdockery97 wrote:Nope. If you live in the good ol' USA, your secrets be theirs.

Not only USA....As it seems they even have access to almost every (online) mail provider, European telecom providers, etc....

I think the topic starter is more aiming for some kind of build-in backdoor which can be used by security services. I wonder if Linux is as much vulnerable as other operating systems.....
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)*Mint 16

Copy.com

I don't need Google, my wife knows everthing!
nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Postby KirbySmith on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am

I think the best that this can be answered by anyone outside of the intellegence community is that back doors into closed operating systems and software may exist but will be hard to know about unless leaked or discovereed by security researchers, whereas doors into open code bases such as GNU/Linux have to get past the eyes of the many who review the code, at least some of whom might qualify as not being supporters of the NSA.

Most of us use PCs that have proprietary BIOS firmware, so a door there might be difficult to know about, no matter how open the OS. One would hope that such an opening would be eventually discovered, if only by accident.

kirby
Desktop 1: DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-D/AMD Athlon 64 San Diego 2.2 GHz/G.SKILL 1GB x 2 DDR 3200/BFG GeForce 7800 GT/Ubuntu10.04
Desktop 2: Gigabyte 770T-USB3/AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz/s. Talent 2GB x 2 DDR3 1333/EVGA GeForce 9800 GT/Mint 14 Cinn-lowlat
KirbySmith
Level 3
Level 3

Postby elverion on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 pm

The NSA (mostly) collects their information from ISPs and online services; something you have no control over. That means your OS doesn't make much difference in whether or not they have access to it.

That being said, the NSA, FBI, and CIA (for sure, probably others but there's no evidence yet to prove it) have all been displaying a complete disregard for your rights and will not hold back from attacking you without a warrant. They have been involved in hacking consumer hardware or writing malware mostly targeting Windows users. To protect you against this, using Linux will help.

And yet on the other hand, the NSA was recently involved in an illegal attack on Google (MITM attack; even though Google already turns over all information anyways). If Google is susceptible, there's really not much you can do.
elverion
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Chat about Linux