Adekah Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Adekah Linux

Post by Acid_1 »

Hi;

I decided I'd try my hand at making a distro. Now here were my thoughts on it. We have the plain Gnome 3 experience on Debian, we have a Cinnamon experience on Mint, and a Unity experience on Ubuntu. And while Mint has their Mate version, it is full of their software in addition to default. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just not the goal I'm aiming for.

I feel that Mint made their name because they were correcting what Ubuntu's wrongs were, and as Canonical has kept going further and further off the track, Mint has kept going straight. Unfortunately, this leaves the old Ubuntu users out in the cold. There is the modified Mint experience, or the terrible Unity, not to mention upstart, mir, and some terrible privacy settings.

So I wanted to make a plain, fast, and familiar Gnome 2-like environment that feels like older Ubuntu releases....

How I'm going about this is freezing the Sid repositories, doing the installing, tweaking, and other such things, and letting the testing repo do the updates for the systen. It will be more or less a rolling distro.

My goal is to make every release fit on 1 CD, so as to keep the desktop from ever getting too bloated in a release.

I don't have a site, forum, or even download for it yet. These will come later this week.

There is a facebook page with some screenshots, and I'll be posting about it as things go along. For now, here are the pics, and the facebook page. I'd like to hear others opinions on this. Thanks :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1405322839704815/
adekah2.jpg
adekah3.jpg
adekah5.jpg
Also, the name Adekah is from a portmanteau of mine, and my wife's name, Adam and Rebekah. It's a play on the way Debian's name was chosen, which this project is directly based on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Adekah Linux

Post by nomko »

I have respect for you for the fact that you put time and effort in this project. I hope you learn a lot from it and of it.

However, I must say that this is yet again another distro based on personal ideas, wishes and demands. I'm not sure that your distro will fill a gap or will meet the demands of others. There are so many Linux projects out there and as much flavours, I really need to ask what makes your distro different from the others?

You've chosen to use the outdated Gnome2 layout. Gnome2 is dead, it's been replaced with Gnome3. And I wonder how many Linux users are out there who really wants the outdated Gnome2 layout back. Even knowing that Gnome2 was much better than Gnome3. I feel that, even knowing that you put a lot of effort and time in this project, it won't stand a change. For comparison: a new distro called SolydXK does fullfill some needs. It's born from the need of having a stable distro (Debian) with the KDE and Xfce desktop. This distro filled a gap.

As said, there are too many small distro's out there which doesn't stand a change against the big distro's as Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, OpenSuse, SolydXK, Fedora. Just take a look on distrowatch.com how long the list is with distro's of which just a small part is known.

But, even so, I wish you all the best with your distro!
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

nomko wrote:I have respect for you for the fact that you put time and effort in this project. I hope you learn a lot from it and of it.

However, I must say that this is yet again another distro based on personal ideas, wishes and demands. I'm not sure that your distro will fill a gap or will meet the demands of others. There are so many Linux projects out there and as much flavours, I really need to ask what makes your distro different from the others?

You've chosen to use the outdated Gnome2 layout. Gnome2 is dead, it's been replaced with Gnome3. And I wonder how many Linux users are out there who really wants the outdated Gnome2 layout back. Even knowing that Gnome2 was much better than Gnome3. I feel that, even knowing that you put a lot of effort and time in this project, it won't stand a change. For comparison: a new distro called SolydXK does fullfill some needs. It's born from the need of having a stable distro (Debian) with the KDE and Xfce desktop. This distro filled a gap.

As said, there are too many small distro's out there which doesn't stand a change against the big distro's as Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, OpenSuse, SolydXK, Fedora. Just take a look on distrowatch.com how long the list is with distro's of which just a small part is known.

But, even so, I wish you all the best with your distro!

Thank you :D I guess I should have made that post more clear, it ships with Mate 1.6, I meant it felt like Gnome.

Is there a need for it? Well apparently there is a distro called Point Linux that aims to do the exact same thing, and I was unaware of this. However, I will keep going with the project, as I am learning a huge amount about the internals of Linux as well as many other tools of the trade. If anything, this is experience that will look good on a resume. The goal: to produce a simple, default, Mate environment, preloaded with the codecs you need to go, and easy access to applications that they need. I'm trying to keep the OS out of the way as much as possible to let the end user do what they want.

For instance, pulseaudio simply complicates more of the audio layer on Linux, so I'll stick with alsa, and let the end user decide if they want that extra layer. I miss Ubuntu in the 5, 6, 7, and 8 versions, so I'm hoping others who do too will like this.

Finally, even if it's not profitable or as big as Ubuntu, Mint, etc, I will simply continue on because of my love for Linux and the thrill I get from development.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Acid_1 wrote:Is there a need for it? [...] I am learning a huge amount about the internals of Linux as well as many other tools of the trade. If anything, this is experience that will look good on a resume.
Exactly! It's worth doing just for the experience it gains you :D Kudos to you for digging in and learning more about what makes a Linux distro.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I will keep going with the project, as I am learning a huge amount about the internals of Linux as well as many other tools of the trade. If anything, this is experience that will look good on a resume.
That's the spirit! Just doing it for fun and for learning Linux. Take your benefits from this lesson!

Return to “Chat about Linux”