CrunchBang + LXDE = stable LMDE

Chat about Linux in general

CrunchBang + LXDE = stable LMDE

Postby swiftlinuxcreator on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Those of you who've been wishing for a version of LMDE based on Debian Stable instead of Debian Testing can effectively have it in CrunchBang Linux. CrunchBang is by far the most popular distro based on Debian Stable. I'm in the process of switching from Debian Testing derivatives to Debian Stable derivatives so I can retain the Debian Wheezy base, so CrunchBang will be my new home. I like the idea of using Debian Stable, because fewer and smaller updates are needed compared to Debian Testing.

CrunchBang combines the benefits of LMDE, antiX Linux, and Puppy Linux:
1. CrunchBang vs. LMDE: CrunchBang is lighter and faster because it uses OpenBox instead of MATE or Cinnamon. Even though I insist on adding LXDE (for reasons I'll explain later), it's still much lighter than LMDE.
2. CrunchBang vs. antiX: antiX Linux doesn't offer out-of-the-box DVD playing capability. CrunchBang does, because codecs come preinstalled.
3. CrunchBang vs. Puppy: CrunchBang is directly based on Debian and thus has tens of thousands of packages in its repository. Puppy Linux only has 700.

I first tried CrunchBang a few years ago and didn't like the default interface. I still don't like the default interface, because I insist on having a desktop and a "Start" menu icon at the bottom left corner of the screen, which the default CrunchBang setup lacks. Fortunately, all you have to do is install LXDE to get the desktop and "Start" menu. (There is one more minor change I find necessary, and it is described at viewtopic.php?f=175&t=104518 .) With these very simple tweaks, you can make CrunchBang just as user-friendly and polished as LMDE, antiX Linux, or Puppy Linux.
swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux